Proposal: Cgy-Edm and Cgy-Dallas

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
As an Oilers fan I think Wideman could help the Oilers if deployed properly. However I'm worried he might viciously attack McDavid accidentally while in a daze after taking a hit from an opposing player on the forecheck.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
For whatever positives he does bring, and I'll admit that as a player he does have them, they are outweighed by what the referees are gonna do to him this year. They aren't going to let him get away with anything. Nothing at all. Hard to be effective on the powerplay when the refs are gonna have him in the box whenever he touches anybody. Might not happen, but I don't see all of the refs looking the other way either.

If the refs do that they ought to lose their jobs. This isn't the NBA where blatant double standards are the norm. In general the NHL refs have done a good job of officiating games impartially with the exception of Kerry Fraser.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If the refs do that they ought to lose their jobs. This isn't the NBA where blatant double standards are the norm. In general the NHL refs have done a good job of officiating games impartially with the exception of Kerry Fraser.

This might be the first post I have read of yours that I agree with 100% :laugh:.

That said, just because it should turn out one way doesn't mean it will.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
For whatever positives he does bring, and I'll admit that as a player he does have them, they are outweighed by what the referees are gonna do to him this year. They aren't going to let him get away with anything. Nothing at all. Hard to be effective on the powerplay when the refs are gonna have him in the box whenever he touches anybody. Might not happen, but I don't see all of the refs looking the other way either.

He may get some of that to start the year but it seems tin foil hat level paranoid to think it will happen for very long.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Not really.

Im in agreement with ManofSteel here.

Refs will let a borderline call go on a player they get along with...Wideman..even if its the slightest of borderline penalties will get called.

an example of this is a known diver, or complainer rarely get calls for them..

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oilers aren't really interested in help Calgary and their cap issues...

Moving Wideman isn't really for cap. As far as I know, we have enough cap to work with until Wideman's contract runs out even with Mony and Johnny signings to complete. Moving Wideman helps to open up a roster spot for a kid on D. It would just be nice to have that slot a year earlier than a year later.

Moving Wideman gives us quite a bit of early flexibility which is nice. But it's not like we're screwed if we can't move him.

That being said, I totally get why you guys wouldn't want to add him either.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This might be the first post I have read of yours that I agree with 100% :laugh:.

That said, just because it should turn out one way doesn't mean it will.

Well it's probably the first time you've been right then... It's a well known fact that I'm never wrong.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Edmonton wanted to trade Yakupov for an overpaid player they would have done it already.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wideman is 32, makes big $$, coming off a terrible season and has the black cloud of ending an officials career hanging over his head.

The Flames are stuck with him. If the Flames need to trade Wideman, how good of an asset are you willing to put with Wideman, or how bad of a contract are you willing to take back(or both).

Did the official's career get ended? If so holy crap that's terrible.

I'd have interest in Wideman if Calgary retained some salary unless we have some potential deals being worked on to land a younger top 4 RHD with offensive skills.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Seems highly unlikely that the Oilers would move Yak for a player nearing the end of his career. That being said, I think Wideman would be a good fit and only signed one more year.

How about Wideman for Ference and Kassian?

Ference is done and with Jesse Puljujarvi coming in, it appears Kassian's ice time will be very limited.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Seems highly unlikely that the Oilers would move Yak for a player nearing the end of his career. That being said, I think Wideman would be a good fit and only signed one more year.

Ference is done and with Jesse Puljujarvi coming in, it appears Kassian's ice time will be very limited.

Still not interested.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I'd pass. Wideman is atleast somewhat useful, and there isn't really room for Kassian in the lineup.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Ference will be on the LTIR so no need to move him, and Kassian brings an added toughness to the bottom six that the Oilers have been missing for a decade. I'm liking his renewed love for the game

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What about Olesiak?

I think the Flames need a big guy on the blue line.

Klimchuk for Olesiak?

Both are kind of a disappointment so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00