Proposal: Cgy-Edm and Cgy-Dallas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wideman is 32, makes big $$, coming off a terrible season and has the black cloud of ending an officials career hanging over his head.

The Flames are stuck with him. If the Flames need to trade Wideman, how good of an asset are you willing to put with Wideman, or how bad of a contract are you willing to take back(or both).

I'd agree. However, the contract only has one year left at a 5.25 cap hit. It's hardly the worst contract in the world. The Flames can hold onto him for the season or potentially flip him at the deadline.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Two different trades involving the Flames:

Trade A

To Oilers:

Wideman
Emile Poirier

Wideman is a 40 point D and the Oilers can flip him for a 2nd round pick + at the trade deadline(just look at what D man can fetch at the trade deadline).

To Flames:

Nail Yakupov

Yakupov gets a change of scenery.

Trade B

To Stars:

Wideman
Emile Poirier
One of Oliver Kylington or Rasmus Andersson

Wideman is a 40 point D and the Stars can flip him for a 2nd round pick + at the trade deadline(just look at what D man can fetch at the trade deadline).

To Flames:

Valeri Nichushkin

Nichuskin is couple of years younger, so that why the Flames are adding more.

You may add or subtract if you like for both trades.
ZERO interest in Wideman. ZERO.
He will be the target of every league official in the league next year

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
They definitely are not projecting that way. They've both gotten top six time with elite offensive forwards, and neither have broken .5 points/game in the past three years (this is worse for Yakupov since he's already played 4 seasons in the NHL). They're projecting a lot more into 2nd or 3rd line forwards than top talents, but the people saying they're complete busts are being too extreme as well.
Oh really? Not Yakupov
15-16 Majority with Mark Letestu(played 11 games with McDavid and had 10 points)
14-15 Majority with Derek Roy
13-14 Majority with Sam Gagner
12-13 Majority with Sam Gagner

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I want nothing to do with Yakupov. I'd rather just send Wideman out for cap relief. I'd take on Nicushkin, he can be a useful bottom 6 player if things don't work out offensively so there's still value there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
**** helping out the Cowboys in any way.

Wideman is their problem to deal with.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Oh really? Not Yakupov
15-16 Majority with Mark Letestu(played 11 games with McDavid and had 10 points)
14-15 Majority with Derek Roy
13-14 Majority with Sam Gagner
12-13 Majority with Sam Gagner

He has certainly bounced all through the lineup, but he's gotten decent time with the Oilers' big guns. He's spent about 40% of his time with Gagner or Roy, but the remaining 60% is a pretty wide range of guys from RNH (15%), Eberle (12%), Hall/Draisaitl (9%), etc.

I watched him with McDavid, and he was basically just a cannon for McDavid to shoot. He didn't do much on the ice aside from being an extra body that other teams had to pay some amount of attention to, who touched the puck either before or after McDavid (and it had to be him or Eberle, because the Oilers had what, Sekera and 30 games of Klefbom as dmen who could legitimately do anything with the puck?).

After four years and four different coaches, it's pretty tough not to suspect that Yakupov might just not be very good, rather than be some guy who's unlucky enough to be relegated to the bottom lines when he's a legitimate talent.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He has certainly bounced all through the lineup, but he's gotten decent time with the Oilers' big guns. He's spent about 40% of his time with Gagner or Roy, but the remaining 60% is a pretty wide range of guys from RNH (15%), Eberle (12%), Hall/Draisaitl (9%), etc.

I watched him with McDavid, and he was basically just a cannon for McDavid to shoot. He didn't do much on the ice aside from being an extra body that other teams had to pay some amount of attention to, who touched the puck either before or after McDavid (and it had to be him or Eberle, because the Oilers had what, Sekera and 30 games of Klefbom as dmen who could legitimately do anything with the puck?).

After four years and four different coaches, it's pretty tough not to suspect that Yakupov might just not be very good, rather than be some guy who's unlucky enough to be relegated to the bottom lines when he's a legitimate talent.
You didn't see him with Draisaitl/Hall for more than a few shifts. He has never had a chance to build chemistry with any of RNH, Hall, Draisaitl, Pouliot, McDavid and so on.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You didn't see him with Draisaitl/Hall for more than a few shifts. He has never had a chance to build chemistry with any of RNH, Hall, Draisaitl, Pouliot, McDavid and so on.

Yes that's right. Nothing is ever Yakupov's fault.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'd rather roll the dice on the Wiz (or Eric Gryba, he was good for us last year) than take on Wideman.

While I agree on Wiz , Gryba is not like the other 2 . I think the Oilers are set with shut down D . As for the OP . Yakupov will be getting a change of scenery . He will no longer be playing with scrubs . He will be given a chance in the top 6 and we know he can produce with McDavid . Myself I would rather rebuild Yakupov confidence . Put him on the top line with Lucic and McDavid . Lucic will create space for McDavid to do his thing and Yakupov can set up for his one timer . Yakupov points will jump big time if he on the top line . As for Eberle he produces anywhere so he fine on the 2nd line . Yakupov needs to get back to feeling good about his game

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yes that's right. Nothing is ever Yakupov's fault.

Yakupov has his faults . No question about that . But Yakupov was drafted base on offence . He has never been given top 6 playing time on a regular bases . I think at this point the Oilers need to forget about his weak D play and focus on rebuilding his confidence . Put him in a top 6 and let him play there for the year . As he begins to score more give him more responsibility in the D zone .

Did I mention he played 206 minutes with McDavid? And boy, what minutes they were. Limited to about a third of his ice time, Yak put up 3.8 goals per 60 with Connor, a positive goals for percent, and a positive Corsi for percent. This really isn’t enough time together gel .

Yakupov is not the useless player that fans make him out to be . Most of Edmonton coaching wanted him to play a better 2 way game and that hurt his O . He has improved a bit on the D side of things but you can't keep trying to put a square peg into a round hole . I am not saying the coaches were wrong . Yakupov just might not be smart enough to pick up on what they are teaching so let him do what he does best

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Not interested in Wideman with that contract and considering most fans would take a 4th for him

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Apparently Yakupov is worth a 3rd but you would have to add a 3rd to Wideman for anyone to even think about taking him. Enjoy his contract this year while you negotiate with Gaudreau and Monahan, the Oilers want no part of that brutal contract for a player that will be skating around with a big target on his back.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Apparently Yakupov is worth a 3rd but you would have to add a 3rd to Wideman for anyone to even think about taking him. Enjoy his contract this year while you negotiate with Gaudreau and Monahan, the Oilers want no part of that brutal contract for a player that will be skating around with a big target on his back.

Man I feel bad for Oilers fans when that tweet came out about Yak and the 3rd round pick. People have hung on to that for way too long.

I think it's pretty safe to say that he is worth more than a 3rd. If he wasn't and Edmonton was willing to move him at that price he would be long gone from Edmonton because that is a crazy cheap price to take a flyer on Yak

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

The Oilers defence is stacked anyway. No room for Wideman!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
While I agree on Wiz , Gryba is not like the other 2 . I think the Oilers are set with shut down D . As for the OP . Yakupov will be getting a change of scenery . He will no longer be playing with scrubs . He will be given a chance in the top 6 and we know he can produce with McDavid . Myself I would rather rebuild Yakupov confidence . Put him on the top line with Lucic and McDavid . Lucic will create space for McDavid to do his thing and Yakupov can set up for his one timer . Yakupov points will jump big time if he on the top line . As for Eberle he produces anywhere so he fine on the 2nd line . Yakupov needs to get back to feeling good about his game

You are correct, Gryba is nothing like the other 2. I would still prefer to bring him back rather than bring in Wideman.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You are correct, Gryba is nothing like the other 2. I would still prefer to bring him back rather than bring in Wideman.

This is the problem with the thinking of Oiler fans. Huge, gaping, painfully obvious hole on the powerplay and offensive zone and they think it'll be fine if we shove Gryba into that hole. Gryba has a career high of 12 points. Wideman hit 56 a year ago. There's a reason the Oilers have been awful for a decade despite 4 1st overall picks that would have most teams winning cups left and right.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is the problem with the thinking of Oiler fans. Huge, gaping, painfully obvious hole on the powerplay and offensive zone and they think it'll be fine if we shove Gryba into that hole. Gryba has a career high of 12 points. Wideman hit 56 a year ago. There's a reason the Oilers have been awful for a decade despite 4 1st overall picks that would have most teams winning cups left and right.

Wideman is also painfully one dimensional and will have a target on his back from officials league-wide. Which could easily spill over to the rest of the team. I wouldn't take Wideman for free. I wouldn't take Wideman if you included a 2nd round pick and we gave you good ol' "future considerations". The fact is that he is not worth having on a roster at this point despite his ability to possibly help our powerplay.

Nobody said anything about putting Gryba into offensive situations either for what its worth. Gryba wouldn't be coming in to play whatever role you think Wideman would play, he would be coming in to play whatever role Darnell Nurse could be playing so we could keep him in the AHL until we need him to fill in for injuries. We would run with a defense core that looks like this:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne/Gryba
Davidson - Fayne/Gryba
Oesterle

And a powerplay that looks something like this:

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Klefbom/Sekera - Nugent-Hopkins/Draisaitl

Pouliot/Maroon - Draisaitl/Nuge - Pulujarvi/Yakupov
Klefbom/Sekera - Larsson

Wideman isn't needed on either of those powerplay units. And he has no other use.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wideman is also painfully one dimensional and will have a target on his back from officials league-wide. Which could easily spill over to the rest of the team. I wouldn't take Wideman for free. I wouldn't take Wideman if you included a 2nd round pick and we gave you good ol' "future considerations". The fact is that he is not worth having on a roster at this point despite his ability to possibly help our powerplay.

Nobody said anything about putting Gryba into offensive situations either for what its worth. Gryba wouldn't be coming in to play whatever role you think Wideman would play, he would be coming in to play whatever role Darnell Nurse could be playing so we could keep him in the AHL until we need him to fill in for injuries. We would run with a defense core that looks like this:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne/Gryba
Davidson - Fayne/Gryba
Oesterle

And a powerplay that looks something like this:

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Klefbom/Sekera - Nugent-Hopkins/Draisaitl

Pouliot/Maroon - Draisaitl/Nuge - Pulujarvi/Yakupov
Klefbom/Sekera - Larsson

Wideman isn't needed on either of those powerplay units. And he has no other use.

You had some solid points until this one. Wideman is way, way more effective on the PP than any option you listed there on the backend. He's also less one dimensional than you seem to think. He played top pairing for a team that went to the second round of the playoffs in 2015 when Giordano went out. He also did very well in that role. That said, he was playing the best hockey of his career at that point.

He is what he is. He's good enough defensively to play bottom pairing minutes and not hurt you, meaning he's better defensively than MAB or Schultz. He's obviously no Klefbom in his own end, but he's not a dumpster fire either. Defensively he's a bottom pairing guy, but offensively he's top pairing. He could do the same job Gryba could keeping Nurse down by playing bottom pairing. One dimensional PP guys don't average 23 minutes per night over the past 3 seasons (17th in the NHL).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You had some solid points until this one. Wideman is way, way more effective on the PP than any option you listed there on the backend. He's also less one dimensional than you seem to think. He played top pairing for a team that went to the second round of the playoffs in 2015 when Giordano went out. He also did very well in that role. That said, he was playing the best hockey of his career at that point.

He is what he is. He's good enough defensively to play bottom pairing minutes and not hurt you, meaning he's better defensively than MAB or Schultz. He's obviously no Klefbom in his own end, but he's not a dumpster fire either. Defensively he's a bottom pairing guy, but offensively he's top pairing. He could do the same job Gryba could keeping Nurse down by playing bottom pairing. One dimensional PP guys don't average 23 minutes per night over the past 3 seasons (17th in the NHL).

For whatever positives he does bring, and I'll admit that as a player he does have them, they are outweighed by what the referees are gonna do to him this year. They aren't going to let him get away with anything. Nothing at all. Hard to be effective on the powerplay when the refs are gonna have him in the box whenever he touches anybody. Might not happen, but I don't see all of the refs looking the other way either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad