OT: CFL: Ottawa Redblacks

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Can we please get more than one QB that can throw some TDs, or at least throw it away when he's getting sacked.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And Dru Brown gets his ankle rolled by an errant linebacker

f*** this
Crum is terrible, do we know the extent of the injury?...

Is Masoli an option if Brown is out for a while?

That PI call in O.T that was overturned might be all time bad. I try and get into this league but it's just so bad.

Reactions: Bileur and Senscore

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What you saw last night is what happens when you try to "get it right" to the point where you let the Command Centre run everything. It was the equivalent of a goal being waved off because someone was a millimeter offside five minutes earlier. When it was first introduced, replay was there to correct for obvious mistakes - now it has become a second set of officials in a room somewhere, substituting their judgement for that of the officials on the field. Their authority needs to be pared WAY back to just looking at TD/no TD, fumble/no fumble. Take the coaches challenges away while you are at it, and let the freaking players play. No one pays $80 for a ticket to wait five minutes for a video review in any sport...

Crum is terrible, do we know the extent of the injury?...

Is Masoli an option if Brown is out for a while?

That PI call in O.T that was overturned might be all time bad. I try and get into this league but it's just so bad.
Looks like a sprained ankle for Brown, but it might be a pretty significant sprain, the kind that needs at least a couple of weeks to heal. I think he is questionable at best for next week.

As for Masoli, it is hard to know how the organization regards him right now. He is officially cleared to play, but how do they feel about what they see in practice? Do they trust him, or is he just dressing as the third QB out of respect for his career and to be a de facto QB coach? I honestly don't know the answer to that...

Reactions: Dust

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Part of sports is the human nature of calls.

I get that with sports gamblings affiliations, there is more need to "get it right", but I don't think it's the best thing for the product or the art of sports for every call to be perfect.

Reactions: Dust

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
As bad as Crum was (and he was), the offensive line was horrific. I get that the weather was bad, but they couldn't open one hole for a running back all night and were constantly getting eaten alive by Saskatchewan's front 4 (and sometimes front 3). I also get that they needed to change the play calling once Crum took over, but the way the rush was coming they needed to adjust with more quick screens and short passes over the middle. Granted the way Crum panics and takes off at the first sign of trouble, maybe that just wasn't possible. If Brown can't play and they don't want to take a risk putting Masoli in, this team is in deep trouble.

Reactions: bert and SensCaper

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
As bad as Crum was (and he was), the offensive line was horrific. I get that the weather was bad, but they couldn't open one hole for a running back all night and were constantly getting eaten alive by Saskatchewan's front 4 (and sometimes front 3). I also get that they needed to change the play calling once Crum took over, but the way the rush was coming they needed to adjust with more quick screens and short passes over the middle. Granted the way Crum panics and takes off at the first sign of trouble, maybe that just wasn't possible. If Brown can't play and they don't want to take a risk putting Masoli in, this team is in deep trouble.
A full week of reps with the starters will make a world of difference. It was a tough night overall with all the rain, and Crum wasn't sharp.

He will.be better next game, I am sure of it.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Due to the fact that Brown should only miss a game or two, starting Masoli is fairly risk free. If he is able to show some veteran savvy and find us a win or two in Brown's absence, great. If it is clear that he doesn't have it any more, then you yank him fairly quickly and go back to Crum. My feeling on Masoli is this - if he has been cleared to play, then you might as well see if he has anything left in the tank. If you're afraid to play him, then why is he on your roster? Let's be clear, though - Brown is the starter, and at 27 is also this team's future. Masoli to me is there to be the savvy veteran backup who plays when needed, nothing more.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
This away game in Calgary tonight, to me will be a real portrait of what the RB's are as a squad.

Great that they are winning at home.
Great that the D is bending but not breaking
Great that there appears to be more depth in almost all position this year.

But if they can win on the road, with Masoli back in the fold tonight should legitimize them as a legit eastern final threat.

SensCaper

Jan 12, 2019
I have been impressed with their play calling in the first half. The offense seems less chaotic than it has in previous years. And Masoli may be the best backup quarterback we have had in a long time. Defense still getting beat by the long ball on occasion.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Redblacks keep rolling. I know the Als are pretty much untouchable right now with only one loss. But I feel like the Redblacks can actually keep things competitive and ultimately finished in first place.

Reactions: salomonster

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Redblacks keep rolling. I know the Als are pretty much untouchable right now with only one loss. But I feel like the Redblacks can actually keep things competitive and ultimately finished in first place.
Agreed, I think Ottawa's well positioned here. It's great to see them winning out games and doing it in close games. And winning vs the west which has always been tough for Ottawa.

Meanwhile, Mtl early on, was rag dolling teams, they haven't really seen any legit adversity either. So it will be interesting to see the later parts of the season play out.

And based on the schedule this year, there will be lots of east vs east match ups so 4 point games.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What you saw last night is what happens when you try to "get it right" to the point where you let the Command Centre run everything. It was the equivalent of a goal being waved off because someone was a millimeter offside five minutes earlier. When it was first introduced, replay was there to correct for obvious mistakes - now it has become a second set of officials in a room somewhere, substituting their judgement for that of the officials on the field. Their authority needs to be pared WAY back to just looking at TD/no TD, fumble/no fumble. Take the coaches challenges away while you are at it, and let the freaking players play. No one pays $80 for a ticket to wait five minutes for a video review in any sport...

Looks like a sprained ankle for Brown, but it might be a pretty significant sprain, the kind that needs at least a couple of weeks to heal. I think he is questionable at best for next week.

As for Masoli, it is hard to know how the organization regards him right now. He is officially cleared to play, but how do they feel about what they see in practice? Do they trust him, or is he just dressing as the third QB out of respect for his career and to be a de facto QB coach? I honestly don't know the answer to that...

Agree on that.

Same thing happened again last night with the overturned fumble.

Why is command center calling forward progress after the fact? Seems something the on field officials should be doing. What happened to playing to the whistle?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Masoli starting next game.

Brown week to week.
Thank god he did and man he played well. That was one of the most fun entertaining redblacks games I've ever seen. If Masoli keeps rolling he should start until he loses. That was the most complete performance by a qb on the road all season. Much harder than beating Calgary at home on 4 days rest.

In regards to the command center. Acklin talked about how insane its been. He thinks over 85% of calls have gone against them. I wonder if he gets fined.

Reactions: Bileur and Senscore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad