OT: CFL: Ottawa Redblacks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
The amount of bad/stupid penalties this team takes is ridiculous. The DBs are also horrible (all of them) - they commit pass interference on every deep ball and the opposing receivers still make the catch.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Came home a bit late and turned on the set.... I couldn't believe the score. Saw a couple of replays...Wow they can't cover deep. Really disappointed after all the so called improvements. Shut the game off. The game is recorded so will look at it when I'm in a better mood.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Ugly win, but a win nonetheless. Finally beat the Ti-Cats for the first time in forever. Thinking about going to a game whenever the Argos visit TD place. Do they not do the log cutting celebration anymore after a TD?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Well, we're halfway to the most victories we've had in 6 years, after only 3 games.

Dry Brown seems like the most capable QB we've had since Trevor Harris. Not sold on him, but he's not God awful like Nichols and Arbuckle.

Still have a really hard time getting into this league with the reffing. Ottawa got called for pass interference when it seemed like the DB made a pretty good defensive play and made contact with the ball - challenged it, and ruling upheld. Okay. Then Hamilton's DB gets called for pass interference when he tugged on the jersey of a player trying to high point the ball, while turned the wrong way and not making any sort of play on the ball, challenged, call overturned.

SensCaper

Jan 12, 2019
Thrilled with the win, but not thrilled that it was so close with a team that is 0-3. Impressed with Lamont's play as a deep back. That was somewhat reassuring given how bad that group has looked in the recent past. Disappointed they didn't try to run more. They did for the last touchdown and it worked out well.
Agree that the challenge decisions were head-scratching. Three or four knocked down passes underscores Brown's lack of height, but agree that he is better than those since Harris. One thing that had impressed me about him was how few interceptions he has thrown in the past. He almost had three last night.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
As someone who only mildly knows about football (I know the rules, go to a couple games a year and know a handful of players on the team)

Can anyone who has a better grasp of the league tell me why we've been utter dog crap for the past half decade?

With the sens, I know why, but I thought the Redbacks were supposed to have a dedicated ownership group? Have they been hiring cheap management? Cheap coaches? Bad scouting? What is the issue?

The first few years, though not that good either, came with a couple playoff runs and a win, but the team has never really had a good season except their second season.

What is lacking for the Redbacks to have a few seasons of way more wins than losses? It can't just be bad luck finishing last in the east 4 years in a row with a combined record of 14-54 (ouch)

Like, that's worse than San Jose Sharks season, and it's spread over 4 years!!

So what gives???

When was the last time we had 3 receives with over 100 yards

When was the last time we had a winning season?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
As someone who only mildly knows about football (I know the rules, go to a couple games a year and know a handful of players on the team)

Can anyone who has a better grasp of the league tell me why we've been utter dog crap for the past half decade?

With the sens, I know why, but I thought the Redbacks were supposed to have a dedicated ownership group? Have they been hiring cheap management? Cheap coaches? Bad scouting? What is the issue?

The first few years, though not that good either, came with a couple playoff runs and a win, but the team has never really had a good season except their second season.

What is lacking for the Redbacks to have a few seasons of way more wins than losses? It can't just be bad luck finishing last in the east 4 years in a row with a combined record of 14-54 (ouch)

Like, that's worse than San Jose Sharks season, and it's spread over 4 years!!

So what gives???

When was the last time we had a winning season?
Football today is completely dependant on Quarterback play. If you don’t have one you are screwed.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Football today dependent on QB? Feels like its always been that way. Like a goalie in hockey. But since Hank left its been a struggle.

But Redblacks are 4-2. Maybe something there this year? Although last two wins eked out against the hapless Elks so maybe i shouldnt get too excited yet.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Football today dependent on QB? Feels like its always been that way. Like a goalie in hockey. But since Hank left its been a struggle.

But Redblacks are 4-2. Maybe something there this year? Although last two wins eked out against the hapless Elks so maybe i shouldnt get too excited yet.
Agreed, I'm not a RedBlack fan, but I am a season ticket holder for yrs & I'm very impressed with Drew Brown & think he is the best QB they have had since Burris. Good strong arm, accurate & senses danger & gets rid of the ball quickly & can run when needed. They seem much improved this yr mostly because of the QB Brown IMO.

Reactions: thinkwild

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Agreed, I'm not a RedBlack fan, but I am a season ticket holder for yrs & I'm very impressed with Drew Brown & think he is the best QB they have had since Burris. Good strong arm, accurate & senses danger & gets rid of the ball quickly & can run when needed. They seem much improved this yr mostly because of the QB Brown IMO.
Seasons tickets, but not a fan? Go to a couple games, give others to friends etc?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I do agree that Brown is a massive improvement over the Arbuckle/Crum/Nichols options, but are you forgetting Trev Harris? 3 seasons with Ottawa (really 2.5 as a starter), team went to the playoffs all three seasons, and made the Grey Cup twice.

Reactions: aragorn and BigRig4

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Another win for the Redblacks. Looking pretty good. Dru Brown getting some time but also getting passes off smartly, looking pretty composed for a young QB. Lots of misdirection plays unlike the last years where it became a joke how they always ran it on 1st down. Kalil Pimpleton a new star and a small guy. Him and Dedmon returning kicks are going to scare a lot of teams. Defense looking pretty good as well. Masoli was dressed on the sideline but im not desperate to see him back yet. This team might be able to do something.

Reactions: BigRig4

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Continue to be very impressed with Drew Brown, he had a pretty good game tonight & Pimpleton has really help to drive the offence. Special teams continue to be very good & the defence also had a good night. They seem to be rolling & IMO it is because of the play at the QB position. Brown has a strong arm, finds receivers all over the field & made some great passing down the middle of the field tonight.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
When they aren't terrible, Lansdowne is such an awesome summer vibe.

The D and QB play is vastly improved and the special teams are on point. It's a well rounded team with room to mature and grow.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
For someone who doesn’t follow that closely, what’s been the catalyst for the turnaround this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad