CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I generally agree with the comments about MBT. He's done everything you'd expect in the starts this season with only 2 games being below average (2nd Ottawa game and 1st Hamilton game). His relief appearance Saturday was also pretty bad, but I'm not sure how much of that was the recievers also getting flustered by the Winnipeg secondary as they (Gitten in particular) seemed to be getting confused about where to be on the field and when to look back at the ball.

For Ford the jury is still out. His good games have been very good and very entertaining, but he's also had several stinkers both last year and this year.

I am a bit hesitant, however, to read too much into Saturday's game. It was his first start in awhile, and it was vs. a team that's been to 3 straight Grey Cups and currently the best pass defense in the league and it's not particularly close. This same defense held Vernon Adams to 0 points and 4 first downs in an entire game. Have no doubt, I think Ford was bad on Saturday and was calling for MBT to relieve him even before the INT, but I'm just not sure how much of it was him vs how much of it was Winnipeg getting to him.

Big picture, I'd probably start Ford as ultimately a Cup run is a pipe dream this year and we may be better off developing him for next year and another try against an elite defense should benefit him in how to read it in future years. But small picture, I'd start MBT as he might give them a better chance at having some kind of passing game on Friday.
Ford may or may not be the answer long term, but we know for sure that MBT is not, so I'd start Ford again, but with a shorter leash. At some point the team has to show some sort of confidence in the player, something they just refuse to do. Give him the same opportunity that they've given the last few QB's who have ranged from awful to mediocre.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

This is a pretty lazy oversimplification of the current situation. The offense had been humming along very well with MBT all season but lost most of those games for reasons beyond MBT. It's also extremely deceptive to basically attribute Cornelius' losses to MBT when trying to draw attention to the bigger picture especially when those decisions weren't made by this coach.

Under JJ's watch, MBT is 3-3, and Ford is 2-1 (though one of those Ford wins was basically a 50/50 split in game play), so the gap for the current coach is pretty much negligible.

Also, in the four games prior to Ford returning the group was much more in sync than it was on Saturday.

I certainly can see the argument for sticking with Ford and have made those arguments in this thread but Gregor's barking up the wrong tree.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That post from Gregor is beyond stupid. MBT for instance getting the W in the game Ford was again injured in. Ford is also getting the team when the improvements have been made in lineup and coaching change and the team ready to roll.

Ford Isn't the reason for all these W's. he's maybe been a big factor in a few of them. He's had as many games or more when he's the reason a team is losing, for instance last game where the Elks were hanging with Winnipeg in every facet of play. Indeed the fumble and one of the picks when the game was still close were major reasons we lost. It was 10-10 when Ford threw up that awful ball, and unpressured. Bombers took it in to score 7 and take the game right there.

Records only show so much. MBT has been hands down better than Ford this season. Would anybody even argue differently?

MBT has been the starting QB in GC win as well. he can be the answer. Not sure why it would be concluded that he cannot be.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is a pretty lazy oversimplification of the current situation. The offense had been humming along very well with MBT all season but lost most of those games for reasons beyond MBT. It's also extremely deceptive to basically attribute Cornelius' losses to MBT when trying to draw attention to the bigger picture especially when those decisions weren't made by this coach.

Under JJ's watch, MBT is 3-3, and Ford is 2-1 (though one of those Ford wins was basically a 50/50 split in game play), so the gap for the current coach is pretty much negligible.

Also, in the four games prior to Ford returning the group was much more in sync than it was on Saturday.

I certainly can see the argument for sticking with Ford and have made those arguments in this thread but Gregor's barking up the wrong tree.
Spector straight up simplifying. Agreed.

i get that people want Ford to be the great hope but is he really? Is he really such a factor that wins and losses revolve around him? He's a good sparkplug and maybe even good coming off bench (not substantiated yet) but as a starter theres been hits and misses.

MBT is the best we've had at quick reads in sometime. He's not costing the club and throwing lots of picks or anything. He's been the best passing QB we got, by miles really.

Indeed the team was never better in the 4 games and MBT really took it over. How do you not start with the kind of passing stats he's getting?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I think his point is more that the coaches have given plenty of runway to our last two starting QB's, but when it comes to Ford, the runway is pretty much non existent. At least pretend you have confidence in the player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Spector straight up simplifying. Agreed.

i get that people want Ford to be the great hope but is he really? Is he really such a factor that wins and losses revolve around him? He's a good sparkplug and maybe even good coming off bench (not substantiated yet) but as a starter theres been hits and misses.

MBT is the best we've had at quick reads in sometime. He's not costing the club and throwing lots of picks or anything. He's been the best passing QB we got, by miles really.

Indeed the team was never better in the 4 games and MBT really took it over. How do you not start with the kind of passing stats he's getting?
I think the team would be better creating specific packages to get ford in the game

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think the team would be better creating specific packages to get ford in the game
Provided Ford does what got him here. Somebody must've told him he's a pass first QB. I don't know if he's getting away from his bread and butter. To me Ford gains confidence running with the ball or buying time back there and then throwing a strike. Its happening less often. he's still scampered but there was none of it this weekend. His threat and ability to run the ball is the most salient reason for him even being in the league. It ain't his arm or reads.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think his point is more that the coaches have given plenty of runway to our last two starting QB's, but when it comes to Ford, the runway is pretty much non existent. At least pretend you have confidence in the player.

Jackson's first move as OC was turfing Cornelius and never again giving him any meaningful playing time. That's my issue with his comment. Ford has started 13 of 24 games since JJ was OC with 4 more of those games being ones where Ford was injured and Ford also getting snaps in 3 of the games he didn't start.

Jackson has shown plenty of confidence Ford. You are putting the sins on Chris Jones on the wrong guy. He's just thinking about who he believes gives them the best chance on Friday. Likely nothing more and likely nothing less.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Jackson's first move as OC was turfing Cornelius and never again giving him any meaningful playing time. That's my issue with his comment. Ford has started 13 of 24 games since JJ was OC with 4 more of those games being ones where Ford was injured and Ford also getting snaps in 3 of the games he didn't start.

Jackson has shown plenty of confidence Ford. You are putting the sins on Chris Jones on the wrong guy. He's just thinking about who he believes gives them the best chance on Friday. Likely nothing more and likely nothing less.
Hope you're right, I'm thinking back to when JJ was promoted to HC, and one of the first things he mentioned was some dig at Ford, thought that wasn't the best way to start his tenure. As OC he likely had a lot of input on who to start, and chose to stay with the guy who started the season 0-7. I'm just thinking long term on this, that come next year we will be starting all over again looking for a QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad