News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Not a fan of the bottom 6 or the right side. Emberson hasn’t shown anything yet but we will see what he can do (or not do) in the coming 10 days. I find it hard to believe 31 other teams missed out on a 2nd pair right shot D and that the Oilers are the smartest team in the room given our abysmal record pro scouts. But he has a chance anyway.
Imo the roster seems etched in stone at this point. Hopefully the team looks at guys who are performing well and actually give them a chance. Like Lavoie and Gleason.

Reactions: Duke74

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

It could be 5 guys from this forum. This unit won’t be seeing much ice time.
I really think it’s a miss not going with the Capitals PP system of having two units that have the top guys on both of them. Leave the top unit together but have a second unit of Ekholm-Skinner-Arvidsson-McD-Drai. Give a few more guys some PP time to keep things fresh while still keeping the biggest threats out there.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Not a fan of the bottom 6 or the right side. Emberson hasn’t shown anything yet but we will see what he can do (or not do) in the coming 10 days. I find it hard to believe 31 other teams missed out on a 2nd pair right shot D and that the Oilers are the smartest team in the room given our abysmal record pro scouts. But he has a chance anyway.
The Oilers have a new staff and teams find under the radar guys all the time so the Oilers are due one could say.

The 3rd line is fine, it's the 4th line that's an issue. I'd like to see Podkolzin play with some younger legs with pace and I assume those two spots will be a revolving door most of the season.

????

We lost our best PK this off season and are rebuilding it
And who would that be?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
GEne pumping tires for a practice

It's not like this team's first PP hasn't feasted upon opponents year after year

uh-oh-its-the-fun-police.gif

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

I'm glad to hear the Oil are starting to utilize their practice time with likely opening day roster deployment. Don't waste the energy in a too long exhibition schedule but rather work on 200 foot, all situational line and pairing chemistry with purposeful practice. Still integrate a couple battle spot depth guys like Lavoie and Savoie into A Team practises.

Glad I missed the Follies last night. No need to overreact to meaningless results but the Arizona Coyotes Alumnus right-d grouping is a big bet thinking it can fill 2RD to 8thD. Oil need stability on D and growth from its goaltending duo.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

He played one game and was solid in it, no? In no particular order: Hyman, Ekholm, Skinner, Arvidsson, Janmark, Henrique, C. Brown, and Ryan (when he wasn't over the hill) all solid pro scouting adds.

I think there should be a little more patience and lee-way on these boards, the writing off the bottom 6 and RD based on some nothing pre-season games is a bit premature, even for this place.

Reactions: North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
????

We lost our best PK this off season and are rebuilding it
Our PK was the best mostly due to coaching as no matter who rotated in, still succeeded.
Our top PKers by icetime were...
Ekholm, Nuge, Ceci, Janmark. Desharnais, Nurse, McLeod, Brown.
So we are missing 3/8
Our best 3 forwards are still here in Nuge, Janmark and Brown.

And our best Defenders on the PK were Nurse and Ekholm from a chance and shot suppression metric. Kulak also PK quite well.

Again its a credit to Mark Stuarts system.

He played one game and was solid in it, no? In no particular order: Hyman, Ekholm, Skinner, Arvidsson, Janmark, Henrique, C. Brown, and Ryan (when he wasn't over the hill) all solid pro scouting adds.

I think there should be a little more patience and lee-way on these boards, the writing off the bottom 6 and RD based on some nothing pre-season games is a bit premature, even for this place.
I think the hard thing right now is none of us have seen a camp from Knoblauch so we don't know how he runs it.
Can you move between the groups? or is the groups mostly set in stone?
Does he cut fast? Can guys work their way in or not.
Then we have mouth pieces liek Stauffer basically saying its set in stone.
At the end of the day I just hope that if guys from group b look really good and are outplaying the bottom guys in group a, that they get a chance at the start of the year.

Reactions: Faelko

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

Damn, they're good.

The only thing I don't like about loading up PP1 once again is that it leaves the second unit without a standout center... yes they could double-shift one of Drai/McD/RNH, but the goal in 24-25 should be to conserve the core's energy so they can go deep again in the spring, not have them worn down by the time the playoffs start.

We now have the weapons to try new things, so why not at least explore running Hyman/McD/Skinner/Drai/Bouch and Hoffman/RNH/RV/Nurse/Whoever? If it doesn't work you know the nuclear option is there, but this season is a new challenge for this group and they won't have ever played so much hockey in one calendar year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

It could be 5 guys from this forum. This unit won’t be seeing much ice time.

Henrique makes more sense than Perry. Who’s taking the face off?

Henrique scored 20+ G last year. Hes also pretty good infront of the net.

I don’t hate Perry as much as some although I do think he was useless in the playoffs but it kinda feels like hes just going to block people.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
This is actually disappointing and worthy of hand-wringing, unlike the knee-jerk circle jerk that's been happening among fans

Heck, I was at the game last night when we were down 6 or 5 to 2 in the 3rd. Fans did the wave. Usually I hate that shit, but it's preseason and its a opportunity for people to go to the games live since tickets are mad expensive in the regular, so why not hey?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The only thing I don't like about loading up PP1 once again is that it leaves the second unit without a standout center... yes they could double-shift one of Drai/McD/RNH, but the goal in 24-25 should be to conserve the core's energy so they can go deep again in the spring, not have them worn down by the time the playoffs start.

We now have the weapons to try new things, so why not at least explore running Hyman/McD/Skinner/Drai/Bouch and Hoffman/RNH/RV/Nurse/Whoever? If it doesn't work you know the nuclear option is there, but this season is a new challenge for this group and they won't have ever played so much hockey in one calendar year.
So you don't like the one of the best PPs in the history of the league is using it's best players the most instead of spreading them out? I mean no, they're doing it right.

Reactions: McAsuno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad