News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He played one game and was solid in it, no? In no particular order: Hyman, Ekholm, Skinner, Arvidsson, Janmark, Henrique, C. Brown, and Ryan (when he wasn't over the hill) all solid pro scouting adds.

I think there should be a little more patience and lee-way on these boards, the writing off the bottom 6 and RD based on some nothing pre-season games is a bit premature, even for this place.

Oh I’m not writing them off. Just prefacing my concern for them on paper. Could be all good and my concerns be for naught.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
So you don't like the one of the best PPs in the history of the league is using it's best players the most instead of spreading them out? I mean no, they're doing it right.

The best PP means nothing if it doesn't lend itself to a Cup. Putting that unit together in another Game 7? Sure, why not. Trotting them out March 10th against Buffalo? No thanks. We're a better team if we play like... a team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The only thing I don't like about loading up PP1 once again is that it leaves the second unit without a standout center... yes they could double-shift one of Drai/McD/RNH, but the goal in 24-25 should be to conserve the core's energy so they can go deep again in the spring, not have them worn down by the time the playoffs start.

We now have the weapons to try new things, so why not at least explore running Hyman/McD/Skinner/Drai/Bouch and Hoffman/RNH/RV/Nurse/Whoever? If it doesn't work you know the nuclear option is there, but this season is a new challenge for this group and they won't have ever played so much hockey in one calendar year.
The thing is if McDavid sits on the bench while the 2nd unit is out on the PP, he's going to be the first guy out there after the PP is over, so you aren't really resting him.

If anything, you're forcing him to take an extra even strength shift instead of an extra PP shift which is probably more taxing.

Reactions: K1984

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The best PP means nothing if it doesn't lend itself to a Cup. Putting that unit together in another Game 7? Sure, why not. Trotting them out March 10th against Buffalo? No thanks. We're a better team if we play like... a team.

I mean if you have a team that has the best PP in the league, then you get them out there as the 1st unit has a higher % of scoring than the 2nd unit. It's pretty much simple. They score the goals? They play more.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
The thing is if McDavid sits on the bench while the 2nd unit is out on the PP, he's going to be the first guy out there after the PP is over, so you aren't really resting him.

If anything, you're forcing him to take an extra even strength shift instead of an extra PP shift which is probably more taxing.

You can always throw the Janmark-Brown duo out after powerplays, which Knoblauch did to great effect several times during the playoffs alone. It helps keep those guys in the game plus alleviates any momentum swings by neutralizing the other team's best offensive players after they have been resting for two minutes.

I mean if you have a team that has the best PP in the league, then you get them out there as the 1st unit has a higher % of scoring than the 2nd unit. It's pretty much simple. They score the goals? They play more.

But if the net impact is it wears your best players down over 82 games (really 107 games by the time next spring comes along) and makes them unable to play to their full potential for another 20-game slog in the playoffs, it doesn't matter a lick if the first unit scores more than the second.

Again, I am not saying don't use that unit ever. All I am suggesting is we keep the bigger picture in mind here and realize the goal is not to have the #1 PP in the regular season, but to be the #1 team period in the post-season. I think a more balanced powerplay helps us get there, that's it. :dunno:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You can always throw the Janmark-Brown duo out after powerplays, which Knoblauch did to great effect several times during the playoffs alone. It helps keep those guys in the game plus alleviates any momentum swings by neutralizing the other team's best offensive players after they have been resting for two minutes.

But if the net impact is it wears your best players down over 82 games (really 107 games by the time next spring comes along) and makes them unable to play to their full potential for another 20-game slog in the playoffs, it doesn't matter a lick if the first unit scores more than the second.

Again, I am not saying don't use that unit ever. All I am suggesting is we keep the bigger picture in mind here and realize the goal is not to have the #1 PP in the regular season, but to be the #1 team period in the post-season. I think a more balanced powerplay helps us get there, that's it. :dunno:

I don't think the PP in a 82 game span would wear them down. If anything, McDavid himself said a couple weeks ago that he took this previous off season pretty much relaxing often as he felt that years past getting ready earlier for the season would end up taking a toll on his body due to the long season that's ahead.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Me hearing Bob saying Josh Brown with (poor) Kulak

hate-it.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad