CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean while we are talking about mini-footballs, why not breakdown and give them away to kids at one of the games?

Back in the day they use to do gameday handouts. Maybe time to start doing stuff again to get the kids going. Sure worked for the trappers back in the day.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Those weren't tarped this weekend. They were packed with people.
Did the people dress up like a Remax logo? :sarcasm:

Screenshot_20240910_131401_YouTube.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gregor was saying that his son loves when that they had fans on field. MBT was apparently briefly there too, but he suggested it would be smart to throw a couple guys out there to sign autographs after each game.

That's what they really need long-term, getting more kids into the league

Giving those free student tickets out will help too.

I didn't go on the field last week, but when they won the LDR last year we went on the field and they had about 10 players out there signing hats and footballs. It was a blast and you could tell the kids loved every minute of it. I think the players did as well.

Did the people dress up like a Remax logo? :sarcasm:

View attachment 906274
They usually cover all the seats, so they must have only opened up enough to accomodate how much they sold. Really your picture shows maybe a few hundred covered seats out of the 32K they made available. I'd aim higher than worrying about those final couple hundred lower deck seats (literally and figuratively when saying higher).

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean while we are talking about mini-footballs, why not breakdown and give them away to kids at one of the games?

Back in the day they use to do gameday handouts. Maybe time to start doing stuff again to get the kids going. Sure worked for the trappers back in the day.
Part of the fun is the engagement of having people catch them. Making sure you are tossing out a ton of them every game is good enough and much more fun than just grabbing them at the door. Speaking of grabbing stuff at the door, the free cowbells to a third of the building was a great idea to improve atmosphere.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Part of the fun is the engagement of having people catch them. Making sure you are tossing out a ton of them every game is good enough and much more fun than just grabbing them at the door. Speaking of grabbing stuff at the door, the free cowbells to a third of the building was a great idea to improve atmosphere.
I agree. The thrill for kids and adults, is trying to catch one.
The cowbell giveaway was awesome. Definitely contributed to the atmosphere.
I got mine signed by Giz prior to kickoff.

Reactions: bone

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The CFL needs a strong team in Edmonton as one of its historic breadwinners. Will be interesting to see how attendance results follow on-field performance (winning) and excitement surrounding new ownership. Early returns look solid with rivalry route of Calgary. Decline in Calgary's longstanding winning program will be a problem for their attendance.

Ottawa and Montreal attendances looks soft despite winning teams. Though Montreal has a smaller capacity field. Even still reasonable to expect an exciting team in Ottawa would get more support ... shouldn't it??

Life in the fast lane of a somewhat niche pro sports league that's fighting to eyeballs and relevance in a competitive world of limited time and abundance choice.

2024 attendance (pulled from an external webpage)
Week # 1 (AVG- 20,832)
1. Mtl @ Wpg- 30,140
2. Ham @ Cgy- 19,742
3. Sask @ Edm- 20,681
4. B.C @ Tor- 12,647

Week#2 (AVG- 27,050)
5. Wpg @ Ott- 16,310
6. Mtl @ Edm- 15,790
7. Cgy @ BC- 53,788
8. Sask @ Ham- 22,313

Week#3 (AVG- 22,494)
9. Ott @ Mtl- 23,035
10. BC @ Wpg- 31,210
11. Edm @ Tor- 10,857
12. Ham @ Sask- 24,875

Week#4 (AVG- 18,221)
13. Edm @ BC- 19,016
14. Mtl @ Tor- 11,165
15. Wpg @ Cgy- 22,386
16. Ham @ Ott- 20,315

Week#5 (AVG- 23,376)
17. Tor @ Sask- 23,923
18. Ott @ Wpg- 28,719
19. Cgy @ Mtl- 20,652
20. BC @ Ham- 20,210

Week#6 (AVG- 24,180)
21. Tor @ Mtl- 18,088
22. Cgy @ Wpg- 29,467
23. Sask @ BC- 30,803
24. Ott @ Edm- 18,362

Week#7 (AVG- 22,763)
25. Edm @ Ott- 18,437
26. Wpg @ Sask- 29,649
27. Tor @ Ham- 22,910
28. BC @ Cgy- 20,057

Week#8 (AVG- 17,248)
29. Sask @ Mtl- 19,653
30. Cgy @ Ott- 17,267
31. Wpg @ Tor- 14,994
32. Ham @ Edm- 17,079

Week#9 (AVG- 25,399)
33. BC @ Wpg- 31,589
34. Mtl @ Ham- 20,426
35. Edm @ Sask-29,655
36. Tor @ Cgy- 19,914

Week#10 (AVG- 17,811)
37. Sask @ Ott- 17,180
38. Cgy @ Tor- 13,481
39. Ham @ Mtl- 22,137
40. BC @ Edm- 18,447

Week#11 (AVG- 24,178)
41. Ott @ Cgy- 17,692
42. Edm @ Ham- 20,092
43. Mtl @ Sask- 28,123
44. Wpg @ BC- 30,083

Week#12
45. Sask @ Tor- 19,327
46. Ham @ Wpg- 32,343
47. BC @ Ott- 18,761
48. Edm @ Mtl- 19,048

Week#13 (#LDC2024)
49. Ott @ BC- 14,727
50. Wpg @ Sask- 33,861
51. Tor @ Ham- 25,291
52. Edm @ Cgy-28,467

Week#14
53. BC @ Mtl- 23,035
54. Tor @ Ott- 17,834
55. Sask @ Wpg- 33,343
56. Cgy @ Edm-32,144

CFL Attendance 2015 - 2023 (unofficial): https://3downnation.com/2023/10/30/...gos-and-lions-soar-stamps-and-redblacks-sink/

Reactions: MessierII

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can confirm on both accounts. But you have to admit they were way more generous than usual this weekend with them. We caught multiple and were passing them along to anyone we could see that appeared to be under 10.

We hadn't caught one previously in years. (Granted I was up top until this year)
The more TD's the team scores, the more footballs likely get chucked into the crowd.:D

I agree. The thrill for kids and adults, is trying to catch one.
The cowbell giveaway was awesome. Definitely contributed to the atmosphere.
I got mine signed by Giz prior to kickoff.
After the guy behind me was constantly ringing that stupid cowbell in my ears all game, I hate those things. As for "atmosphere", they do nothing for me but give me a f***ing headache. Same with airhorns.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The more TD's the team scores, the more footballs likely get chucked into the crowd.:D

After the guy behind me was constantly ringing that stupid cowbell in my ears all game, I hate those things.

So you want the crowd to be more engaged, but not if they sit around you. I hope you were one of those opposed to closing the upper deck then.

As far as noisemakers go, those small bells are probably the least offensive they could have provided while still having the ability to make some noise with many using them.

If they ever allow those horns that are at Montreal games. I'm out!!

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So you want the crowd to be more engaged, but not if they sit around you. I hope you were one of those opposed to closing the upper deck then.

As far as noisemakers go, those small bells are probably the least offensive they could have provided while still having the ability to make some noise with many using them.

They both are annoying as f*** imo. Although it works out better for the club as I usually just drink more beer to deal with the noise. Unfortunate I couldn't go Saturday

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

So, it's okay with you for people to ring a cowbell near my ears at a game, but they shouldn't use an airhorn at a Montreal game you're at. Gotcha.

As for being engaged, do you need artificial things to ring around you and make noise to feel engaged? What do you do at an Oiler game without those things? Fall asleep?

Lastly, I'm not sure what the upper deck and my opinion of it have to do with any of this. And for the record for what it's worth. I am of the opinion they should never have closed the upper portion, as it screwed the people up there that like that view.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They both are annoying as f*** imo. Although it works out better for the club as I usually just drink more beer to deal with the noise. Unfortunate I couldn't go Saturday

Oh. If you weren't there on Saturday, you're likely thinking of the bigger bells they sell there which would be loud if the person ringing them wasn't mindful of where they are ringing them. These were much smaller, not nearly as loud, but effective in bigger numbers.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed. Not sure what's wrong with clapping and making noise with your mouth and vocal cords. Seems like a lost art for some people I guess.

Oh. If you weren't there on Saturday, you're likely thinking of the bigger bells they sell there which would be loud if the person ringing them wasn't mindful of where they are ringing them. These were much smaller, not nearly as loud, but effective in bigger numbers.
This was a big bell behind me, so maybe that's the confusion.

Reactions: guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So, it's okay with you for people to ring a cowbell near my ears at a game, but they shouldn't use an airhorn at a Montreal game you're at. Gotcha.

As for being engaged, do you need artificial things to ring around you and make noise to feel engaged? What do you do at an Oiler game without those things? Fall asleep?

Lastly, I'm not sure what the upper deck and my opinion of it have to do with any of this.
All fairness Oiler games are pretty quiet until something actually happens

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Lastly, I'm not sure what the upper deck and my opinion of it have to do with any of this.

I'm sure you are aware of the home team crowd's obligation to make noise to try disrupt the other teams offense? It's meant to be part of the fan engagement with on field actions and generally gets people more involved with the game.

I'll agree though people should at least be mindful and not ring them right in someone's ear. For that you could at least just suggest to them to try and keep it further away from your ears if partaking in it.

The upper deck comment was just me being snide because with the smaller crowds, it was seldomly an issue of noise behind you. I apologize for being a little more snarky than I should be.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm sure you are aware of the home team crowd's obligation to make noise to try disrupt the other teams offense? It's meant to be part of the fan engagement with on field actions and generally gets people more involved with the game.

I'll agree though people should at least be mindful and not ring them right in someone's ear. For that you could at least just suggest to them to try and keep it further away from your ears if partaking in it.

The upper deck comment was just me being snide because with the smaller crowds, it was seldomly an issue of noise behind you. I apologize for being a little more snarky than I should be.
You can make a lot of crowd noise without artificial means. The NFL bans noise makers and if you've ever watched a game or been to one, it can get pretty noisy at times.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You can make a lot of crowd noise without artificial means. The NFL bans noise makers and if you've ever watched a game or been to one, it can get pretty noisy at times.

On a somewhat related note I noticed on the prohibited items list that all mechanical noise makers are prohibited, and they just allow lung powered ones and shakers types (cowbell, clapping plastic hands). Not all the way to what you suggest, but part of the way and hopefully eliminated those Montreal air horns from coming here.

They do also ask to show respect for fellow fans so if someone was intentionally ringing it in your ear, management may confiscate them.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
On a somewhat related note I noticed on the prohibited items list that all mechanical noise makers are prohibited, and they just allow lung powered ones and shakers types (cowbell, clapping plastic hands). Not all the way to what you suggest, but part of the way and hopefully eliminated those Montreal air horns from coming here.

They do also ask to show respect for fellow fans so if someone was intentionally ringing it in your ear, management may confiscate them.

I thought that the league had implemented some protocols on artificial noise, like you couldn’t pump in artificial noise over the PA while the opposition was scrimmaging, etc. But that was many years ago, not sure if they still have that. To have the league allow the Montreal airhorns is beyond dumb, it makes the games unwatchable on TV. Surely someone in the league HO is bright enough to realize that.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
When they squared out the end zones, there was no room anymore for the original fire truck so they stopped driving it and only displayed it by the kids zone.

They brought back a mini version of it at Chris Presson's first game as president. At first most just mocked it since it was so tiny, but the mockery seems to have faded over time.

The one LT was driving was the mini version not the original.
I loved the old, my favorite Commonwealth memory was when John Candy was riding during the Grey Cup. But the size of the current is just right for getting through the visitors bench??

• Haha

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I thought that the league had implemented some protocols on artificial noise, like you couldn’t pump in artificial noise over the PA while the opposition was scrimmaging, etc. But that was many years ago, not sure if they still have that. To have the league allow the Montreal airhorns is beyond dumb, it makes the games unwatchable on TV. Surely someone in the league HO is bright enough to realize that.
Montreal always has their own rules :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad