Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Have to admit, when they first released I didn’t like the look of them. While I’m still not in love with them, they look way better in action.

I still think the third jersey is the best of the bunch though

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
There are no rings to hand out and no banners to unveil, but the Bruins still have plenty to celebrate when they open their 100th NHL season Wednesday at TD Garden.

They will roll out the gold carpet for some Bruins legends before the game, followed by an opening ceremony, a raffle, and T-shirt giveaways. Wednesday is just the beginning of the festivities, however, as the team has special events planned throughout the season.

The Bruins are the first US-based NHL club and third overall to reach 100 years of play, following Montreal in 2009 and Toronto in 2017.

Here’s what you need to know if you’re headed to Causeway Street this season to celebrate alongside the Bruins.

Opening night​

The Bruins welcome the Blackhawks to TD Garden Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., but there is plenty of fun to be had before the puck drops.

Legendary players will walk the gold carpet to kick off the festivities. Fans can catch a glimpse of their hockey heroes — of which there are plenty — starting at 4:15 p.m. at the Hub on Causeway. Some of those legends will return to the ice for the pregame ceremony.

Inside the arena, fans will find T-shirts at each seat honoring the season-long theme of “Blood, Sweat & 100 Years.” The club already unveiled its special-edition centennial jerseys in a fashion show at a JetBlue hangar at Logan Airport Sept. 16.

Though the puck drops at 7:30, fans should plan to be in their seats by 7.

Season-long celebrations​

If you didn’t score tickets to the opener, do not fear. The celebrations will roll on all season.

The team will hold five “Era Nights,” each one celebrating players from iconic eras in team history. They will include a pregame ceremony, guest appearances, promotions, and more.

The first Era Night will be Oct. 28 against the Red Wings, honoring “The Early Years” from 1924-59. On Nov. 18, the Bruins will celebrate the 1960-76 “Big Bad Bruins” when they host the Canadiens. The 1977-85 “Lunch Pail AC” Era Night will be Dec. 16 against the Rangers, and the 1986-2000 “New Blood, New Beginnings” Era Night will be Jan. 20 against the Canadiens. The Era Nights will conclude March 7 against the Maple Leafs, when the “Return of a Champion” era (2001-present) is celebrated.

On Thursday, the team will host a black-tie gala at the Fairmont Copley Plaza to benefit the Boston Bruins Foundation, an event that will feature prominent alums as well as current players.

In November, the team will release a coffee-table book, “Blood, Sweat & 100 Years,” which is also the name of a marketing campaign that will launch Wednesday with the help of local ad agency GYK Antler.

Also in November, NESN will air the first episode of a four-part “docuseries” about Bruins history that will feature interviews with dozens of former and current players.

In early 2024, the Bruins will open Heritage Hall, a permanent exhibit on the second floor of TD Garden that will celebrate the franchise’s 100-year history, with a collection of artifacts as well as interactive exhibits.

And later next year, the team will host “100 Days of Hockey,” a series of community events such as hockey clinics and school visits across New England that will culminate on Dec. 1, 2024, the 100th anniversary of the club’s first game.

Still to be announced is when the commemorative bear sculpture by Harry Weber will be done and where it will stand. Weber also sculpted the Bobby Orr statue in front of TD Garden.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
My 40th year tonight as season ticket holder (who’s shitting who it’s basically when my parents told me you’re out of college you pay for these)

First game in my name is Mario Lemieux and he scored right infront of me - there weren’t 10 people colder to see his first NHL goal

If Bedard scores in first or third period I’ll be able to say same

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yea for a few years now
I looked him up and played last year in AHL and is unrestricted FA

He’s on my short list of people who’s lives from 20,000 feet I would not mind

He made 6 M and I believe was dating Aly Raismsn when with Bruins

His solid 4th line year here was rewarded by Jim Benning, who seems to reward everyone, with a 2 year $3.8 M contract

If he’s not dumb with money he’s set for life and can pursue what he wants

And he will always have had an NHL career and Aly

Reactions: Fenian24 and Alicat

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
My 40th year tonight as season ticket holder (who’s shitting who it’s basically when my parents told me you’re out of college you pay for these)

First game in my name is Mario Lemieux and he scored right infront of me - there weren’t 10 people colder to see his first NHL goal

If Bedard scores in first or third period I’ll be able to say same

I have him down for a PP goal, just because

Reactions: DKH

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Jay Miller still looking good

My son and his HS hockey buds circa 2001-2003, use to play a game they called
Jay Miller. They would play on ponds in town and it was hit the guy with the
puck...lol. Wouldn't crush each other but enough to knock each other down...lol.

I recall during the 1978 MIAA State Tourney he was disciplined by his HS
Coach (ex Bruin Dan LaCouture's Dad) and missed the game against my nephews Burlington HS team. My nephew beat his team and went on and won the '78 EMass title. Not having to face Miller certainly didn't hurt as Miller was a very good HS player.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Just the fact Ray Bourque is a dollar less than Chara makes that meme stupid. Ray Bourque was a top 5 dman for his entire career, and a top 3 dman for 90% of it. Certainly the best of his era for more years than any dman in history.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Marchand - Bergeron - Neely

Bourque - Shore

Thomas

Good luck to the Bruins in their centennial season!

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

“Back In Black” roared across Causeway Street as a parade of Bruins legends — from Bobby Orr to Patrice Bergeron — ambled across the gold carpet much to the delight of a couple of thousand fans Wednesday afternoon.

The alumni gathering prior to the 3-1 win over the Blackhawks in the home opener was the first in a series of events marking the franchise’s centennial season.

Terry O’Reilly marveled at not only the collection of superstars, but also the fans’ dedication to some of their all-time favorites.

“This really is an honor,” said the man known as Taz — a nod to the Tasmanian Devil. “Some of these kids still wear my sweater. [They’re] wearing 24s.”

His blue-collar style fit perfectly in Boston and made him an instant fan favorite during his playing days.

“You mean falling down a lot?” O’Reilly deadpanned when asked about his early days. “The Bruins were hard-working. I had no problem with that. Had a little trouble with skating the first few years, but they were patient with me.”

So much of O’Reilly’s persona as a player and coach was molded by Don Cherry, himself a rough-and-tumble guy, and the passion of the fans.

“Boston was more of a hard-working, blue-collar type of town. That was just my impression when I came here,” said O’Reilly. “And Don Cherry’s ethic was like the Three Musketeers. ‘All for one, one for all.’ And he drilled that into us . . . but it’s a wonderful organization.”

Shawn Thornton, another player who embodied the Bruins’ style during his run, which included a Stanley Cup title, was surprised at the rousing ovation he got from fans.

“It’s a little humbling, to be brutally honest,” said Thornton. “I figured I’d be forgotten about by now.”

He was also pleasantly surprised to learn he’d been selected as one of the franchise’s top 100 players, joking that he must have bought the voters “a few beers.”

“It’s a huge honor. I was talking to Bobby [Orr] about it a couple of weeks ago. It’s 100 years, and being a part of this franchise, being a part of an Original Six franchise, and then having the success we had while we were here. It’s great to be back and great to see all this hype. It’s awesome. I’m back up here a lot, but it’s a pretty special event, so happy to be here.”

Those honored as part of the in-stadium celebration included (in order): Eddie Johnston, Ken Hodge Sr.,Derek Sanderson, Don Marcotte, Gerry Cheevers, Thornton, Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, David Krejci, Bergeron, Zdeno Chara, Ray Bourque, Willie O’Ree (via the videoboard from his home in San Diego), Rick Middleton, Johnny Bucyk, Phil Esposito, and Orr, who received the largest ovation of the night.

Also, relatives of Eddie Shore, Lionel Hitchman, Dit Clapper, and Milt Schmidt were in attendance.

Cheevers, who also walked the gold carpet, celebrated a unique anniversary Wednesday. It was on Oct. 11, 1967, that “Cheesie,” as he was known, debuted his unique “stitched” goalie mask in a 4-4 tie against the Red Wings . . . Orr and Esposito arrived together, smiling like teenagers attending a squirt banquet . . . O’Reilly on new Bruins captain Brad Marchand: “I think if I played against him, I’d hate him. But he wears the ‘B,’ so I love him.” . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad