Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It’d be great if NESN got on board with a retro themed broadcast for the anniversary.
TV38 had great management in the 70s and invested heavily in equipment to cover home games. When they started televising games in 1967-68 the Garden could only handle 3 cameras, a 4th was added behind a goal around 1972.

They were the first LOCAL station to buy a slow-mo machine in 1970 that cost $250K and could only playback the previous 30 seconds of video. The machine was a beast

Graphics have evolved over the years - NBC spent $500K on the first computer graphics system in 1969

1694675350120.png

The graphics people are the hardest workers in the truck and vastly underpaid.

Last edited by a moderator:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I would swap out Wensink and Donato for Oliver & Williams for sure. Probably trade out Doak for Quaider also. If memory serves me he pinched in and kept the play alive in OT G7 against Montreal, allowing Lucic to pass to Horton. He also scored the only goal in the elimination G4 against Pittsburgh in '13.
You are correct on McQuaid - he also pounded Torres & Tom Wilson along the way

Wensink was a fantastic guy - amazing anyone could be that nice for what he did. I was at a lot of his games and 3 things stand out

The year he has 27? Goals he had I think all by February and was thinking is this guy going to score 35-40 goals

The epic brawl against Montreal he had his hair pulled and can be seen on TV pointing to it

And the famous skate to the bench challenge of North Stars

Murray Oliver who was a gross omission from list, was super close with my folks and me his son Michael, so he and his family would spend a couple of weeks with my family in the offseason was here the summer after that Wensink incident. I was in HS and I said to him what the heck was that all about with Wensink. He was always upbeat and good natured but he said matter of factly ‘that will change”

The following season Minnesota was one of the biggest toughest teams in the league

They had that epic brawl with Boston that set the All Time record

I went down and saw him and Lou Nanne and Murray smiled at me and said what did you think

I think 40 years later it got Wensink on the top 100

Reactions: Fenian24

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The committee respected the early years of the franchise.

From the “Historic 100,” the independent selection committee, appointed by the club in June, will determine the final 20 players (12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goaltenders) that will comprise the All-Centennial Team.

That is going to be a brutal cut.
It really doesn’t mean much at the end of the day.

It’s fun to discuss and debate, it I’m not sure why they’d even want to narrow it down to a top 20.

There will be some no brainers like Esposito, Bergeron, Orr, and Bourque.

The “4th line” and “bottom D pairing” will be hotly debated.

The 2 goalies will be controversial, no matter who they go with.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It’s fun to discuss and debate, it I’m not sure why they’d even want to narrow it down to a top 20.

The goalies will be Cheevers and Thomas - 3 Cups

Defense - Shore, Orr, Bourque and Charra.

Forwards - :help:

Reactions: BMC and HustleB

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The goalies will be Cheevers and Thomas - 3 Cups

Defense - Shore, Orr, Bourque and Charra.

Forwards - :help:
Yes, Shore is a shoe in for sure.

Came back to add him.

Chara should be there too. Agreed.

The goalie thing is so difficult to compare across eras, especially when you consider the numbers in the rafters and the ones not up there.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yes, Shore is a shoe in for sure.

Came back to add him.

Chara should be there too. Agreed.

The goalie thing is so difficult to compare across eras, especially when you consider the numbers in the rafters and the ones not up there.
The Bruins don’t have a single goaltender’s number retired.

Frank Brimsek; Tiny Thompson; Gerry Cheevers; and Tim Thomas all won the Cup here. Brimsek and Cheevers did it twice. None of them in the rafters.

Then you have other standouts like Rask and Gilbert.

No love for the ‘tendies in Beantown.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Frank Brimsek; Tiny Thompson; Gerry Cheevers; and Tim Thomas all won the Cup here. Brimsek and Cheevers did it twice. None of them in the rafters.

Which is weird for a club that's put a lot of stock in its defense for a long time.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
What he wanted was $9 mil a year.

Great comparison, original 06 point totals compared to points in the highest scoring era in NHL history.

That's a fair point, but you know that D men back in Jacques era played for the most part a 4 man rotation, with the 5D not getting much ice time. So he had more ice time than D men in Langway's era.

I would say that Langway's last two year in Montreal, was superior to all of JL years outside of his Norris season. Yeah,there is no debating JL had more years in Montreal
than Langway but Langway had multiple 2-3 high end years in Montreal and I have no issue putting him in the top 6.

This sure as hell isn't like putting Leech or Coffey in a Boston Bruins top 6.

I'm going to leave it there and we'll agree to disagree.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's a fair point, but you know that D men back in Jacques era played for the most part a 4 man rotation, with the 5D not getting much ice time. So he had more ice time than D men in Langway's era.

I would say that Langway's last two year in Montreal, was superior to all of JL years outside of his Norris season. Yeah,there is no debating JL had more years in Montreal
than Langway but Langway had multiple 2-3 high end years in Montreal and I have no issue putting him in the top 6.

This sure as hell isn't like putting Leech or Coffey in a Boston Bruins top 6.

I'm going to leave it there and we'll agree to disagree.

Just one more point.

In Laperriere's best scoring season (37 points) he was 7th among NHL defensemen in scoring.

In Langway's best scoring season (45 points) he was 31st among NHL defensemen in scoring.

You are right, its at least a debateable point. Langway is one of my all-time favorite Dmen. Taking their careers as a whole I would definitely rank Langway higher. I'm sure there are old-time Canadiens fans who would put J.C. Tremlbay in the argument as well.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'd have Brimsek before Cheevers.

Isn't Brad Park a sure thing?

Orr, Shore, Bourque, Chara, Park should be a lock.

I don't see Hitchman or Quackenbush having a case over him. If anything they're in the dog fight for #6 with Clapper.

But then again it's a fan vote so who knows how it shakes out

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Orr, Shore, Bourque, Chara, Park should be a lock.

I don't see Hitchman or Quackenbush having a case over him. If anything they're in the dog fight for #6 with Clapper.

But then again it's a fan vote so who knows how it shakes out
Not a fan vote.

From the “Historic 100,” the independent selection committee, appointed by the club in June, will determine the final 20 players (12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goaltenders) that will comprise the All-Centennial Team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

No thanks to the entire exercise.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The lack of retired goalie numbers in the rafters traces back to the O6 - It wasn't done by anybody but by the late 80s it loosened up except in Boston.

What Hockey Numbers Are Retired in the NHL? (From Every Team) | Hockey Question

It's all because of Harry

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
One thing I was stunned putting my team together was Ken Hodge after a 50, 45, 43 goal seasons- two 105 point top 4 point leaders and 2-3 first team all stars played TWO years in AHL

@Fenway you remember this?

89 AHL games after over 300 NHL goals and probably half dozen all star games

Espo was still on Rangers where Hodge ended up but apparently was cooked

Folks reading - if you time traveled back to 1970’s and could watch Bruins games two things would blow you away

Cigarette smoke
Hecklers

There was no music other then organ every now and then and you could hear people cough 3 sections over

@Gee Wally & @Dennis Bonvie amirite on this

And the ‘Mary Hodge & Peggy McNab’ barbs were amazing

Please tell me @Fenian24 was there to witness this

Pure gold

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
One thing I was stunned putting my team together was Ken Hodge after a 50, 45, 43 goal seasons- two 105 point top 4 point leaders and 2-3 first team all stars played TWO years in AHL
@Fenway you remember this?89 AHL games after over 300 NHL goals and probably half dozen all star gamesEspo was still on Rangers where Hodge ended up but apparently was cookedFolks reading - if you time traveled back to 1970’s and could watch Bruins games two things would blow you away
Cigarette smoke
Hecklers

There was no music other then organ every now and then and you could hear people cough 3 sections over

@Gee Wally & @Dennis Bonvie amirite on this

And the ‘Mary Hodge & Peggy McNab’ barbs were amazing

Please tell me @Fenian24 was there to witness this

Pure gold
Got to see Hodge play for the New Haven Nighthawks back then. He was born in England so not a real Canadian, much like Stan Mikita.

Go back to the 60's it would have been cigar smoke.

Loved the hecklers. Went to a game where a guy in our section rode Milbury for the whole game. Great entertainment.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Got to see Hodge play for the New Haven Nighthawks back then. He was born in England so not a real Canadian, much like Stan Mikita.

Go back to the 60's it would have been cigar smoke.

Loved the hecklers. Went to a game where a guy in our section rode Milbury for the whole game. Great entertainment.
Ok my folks seats were in loge 7 above corner clock - to our left I think was loge 6 and the guy would yell out when quiet ‘come on snow shoes’

He called him that 1-2 times a game so it was not overboard

Priceless

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad