Prospect Info: Cedar Park

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not the end of the world, but just sounds like a kid who is getting bad advice from representation or family.
I think he's getting very good advice. I also liked when he locked horns with the SIHF that stupidly asked him to attend a meaningless camp and insisted even when the Bichsel camp explained that the player is in need of rest. It was the right decision since health should be paramount but it cost him a WJC...which is why I think he really wants to play one last WJC. I think this WJC is also the reason why he asked for that out clause per december 1st.

Reactions: LT

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I think he's getting very good advice. I also liked when he locked horns with the SIHF that stupidly asked him to attend a meaningless camp and insisted even when the Bichsel camp explained that the player is in need of rest. It was the right decision since health should be paramount but it cost him a WJC...which is why I think he really wants to play one last WJC. I think this WJC is also the reason why he asked for that out clause per december 1st.
Playing in the WJC would be pointless for Bichsel. He has nothing to prove at that level and his physical dominance against boys makes anything he does there irrelevant.

Each incident taken on its own isn't overly alarming but the red flags are starting to pile up with the conflicts he gets into.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Playing in the WJC would be pointless for Bichsel. He has nothing to prove at that level and his physical dominance against boys makes anything he does there irrelevant.

Each incident taken on its own isn't overly alarming but the red flags are starting to pile up with the conflicts he gets into.
Most likely more or less pointless but he can build confidence at the very least.
I just think it's important to him because it's a "home" WJC and it's his last. He already missed one and doesn't wanna miss another.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

is this a conflict? it was agreed to by both parties in the contract. exercising your rights isn't conflict. WJC might not be a place to prove anything, but it might be really important to him. everyone's different.

or do you mean his penalties?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
is this a conflict? it was agreed to by both parties in the contract. exercising your rights isn't conflict. WJC might not be a place to prove anything, but it might be really important to him. everyone's different.

Not referring to penalties, I couldn't care less about that.

I guarantee you the Stars don't want him doing this.

They may have had to include that provision in the contract in order to sign him at all. With the hope that he wouldn't choose to exercise the clause once he became part of the team.

Reactions: eartotheground

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Agreed.
Also, if the Stars wanted to keep him around they could have just promoted Bichsel to prevent him from leaving.

I actually don't think they'd want him to play NHL this season even if they had open slots on defense. A few games maybe but they wouldn't want him to be a regular. Due to his ankle injury he missed the entire offseason. Not how you wanna start your NHL career. He also missed a lot of time with injuries in Sweden. The concussions were particularly tough.

If he's not quite NHL ready anyway and is gonna play the WJC in Sweden anyway, might as well let him stay there for a while. He'll be an NHL regular for the Stars next season or 2024 the latest. He's most likely gonna get some more AHL games in this season as well once Rögle's season ends.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if the Texas Stars really need Bichsel. At least not during the regular season. They already scratched some of the Dallas Stars defense prospects. With Bichsel gone there should be enough ice time for everyone.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

They may have had to include that provision in the contract in order to sign him at all. With the hope that he wouldn't choose to exercise the clause once he became part of the team.
How stupid do you think the Stars are? That december 1st deadline is no coincidence. It exists because of the WJC20. Swiss camp in Kloten is coming up in less than two weeks. The Stars knew he was most certainly gonna go if they let him. Also, if they really wanted him to stay they could have just called him up, put him on the NHL roster.

Finally, I don't think NHL teams are gonna budge when it comes to ELC's, not even if it's a 1st rounder. They wouldn't hand out contracts they're not cool with. I'm sure it was all discussed.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Of course the Stars don't want him doing this, but this is what you get when players use their leverage to get out of playing in the AHL. Nichushkin did the same thing. Guys with NHL futures know playing in the AHL sucks and hope to avoid it.

But I also don't think playing in the WJC has anything to do with development. For him, it's probably more about enjoying his last chance to participate on his national team in a big tournament. With the NHL seeming to never want to let players go to the Olympics again and slow rolling any real World Cup again, this might well be it for his international play days.

Reactions: Hinterland

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
“Every player who plays in the AHL actually has the goal of ending up in the NHL as quickly as possible. Accordingly, you always want and have to show yourself. Every game is about the sausage,” says Lian Bichsel.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What's the hockey reason to abandon first place division team with 1-2 injuries away from being in the NHL to going to bottom dwelling SHL team?
So he should hang around a league he doesn't want to play in and abandon WJC dreams all for the very minute chance he gets called up to play two or three NHL games this season?

Reactions: Hinterland

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Why is there discourse going around that him staying in the AHL means he couldn't play in the WJC? It happens all the time. In fact, I bet Nill would encourage him to go, seeing that Nill is a huge advocate of his prospects playing in the tournament.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why is there discourse going around that him staying in the AHL means he couldn't play in the WJC? It happens all the time. In fact, I bet Nill would encourage him to go, seeing that Nill is a huge advocate of his prospects playing in the tournament.
I don't know about that.
But even if, the tournament will be played in Sweden so it makes sense for Bichsel to stay there. He'd have left the Texas Stars in the next few days anyway.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
So he should hang around a league he doesn't want to play in and abandon WJC dreams all for the very minute chance he gets called up to play two or three NHL games this season?

You can play WJC and AHL :o

Also, if he wanted Sweden, then why not Sweden to start the year? Thats my only issue with it.

Guys go from NHL to WJC.. not sure why AHL WJC is not possible LOL

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Everyone getting worked up over nothing they didn't want him in the NHL this year, just like Stankoven.
They 100% would have called up Petrovic/Pouliout before Bichsel for 2 reason, 1) they cost less and 2), they're exactly like Hanley, veterans who you can plug in for 1-2 games and not have to worry about.

The only scenarios where Bichsel is getting games this year, is the d-core gets decimated by injuries(3-4 guys out) and/or the season goes off the rails. and i'm not entirely convinced that in scenario 1 they wouldn't just go bargain shopping ala Carrick/Fedun

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Everyone getting worked up over nothing they didn't want him in the NHL this year, just like Stankoven.
They 100% would have called up Petrovic/Pouliout before Bichsel for 2 reason, 1) they cost less and 2), they're exactly like Hanley, veterans who you can plug in for 1-2 games and not have to worry about

The reason for getting worked up is there is a trend with this player.

After getting drafted, he didn't want to report to development camp he just went back to Europe. Odd decision.

Secondly, he was getting into issues with the National team and getting left out the team. (Probably because of his entitled mentality).

Thirdly, he wants to just jump around from league to league mid-season and end of season will probably expect to play AHL playoff games.

Its pretty obvious the player is entitled, or his camp is, and is leading the player down a poor path.

• Haha
Reactions: Zapp

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
What happens when he gets sent back down to the AHL after "making it" like Harley or Oettinger? He will probably cry and run back to the Swiss league. You think he will grind like those two did?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The reason for getting worked up is there is a trend with this player.

After getting drafted, he didn't want to report to development camp he just went back to Europe. Odd decision.

Secondly, he was getting into issues with the National team and getting left out the team. (Probably because of his entitled mentality).

Thirdly, he wants to just jump around from league to league mid-season and end of season will probably expect to play AHL playoff games.

Its pretty obvious the player is entitled, or his camp is, and is leading the player down a poor path.
I like all three of those.
Development camps can ruin a players standing. If you don't have your spot locked down then taking part can be risky.

He was on his way back from injury and the SIHF tried to force him into some WJC preparation camp. Why should he participate in such a camp if he's not healthy and in need of rest? Prep camps are mostly to make roster decisions but Bichsel should have made the team anyway. Instead, they kicked him off the team because he didn't report. Stupid. Nothing is more important than player's health.

I don't think he ever wanted to play AHL. The Stars wanted him to and signed hin to a contract so he did. Also, he'd have left Texas for Sweden anyway to play the WJC20.

So no, saying that he wants to jump around mid season is unfair.

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
@MrHeiskanen

I don't think it is worth getting upset about a situation we really know nothing about. The guy is 19 (aka a child) and has just moved a continent away from his daily life. He has already moved from a different country for his hockey development before. Could be plenty of reasons why he feels like he wants to spend a little more time in Europe before moving over.

Also Rögle had Seider before, he'll be in great hands in a league that knows how to develop defensemen.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It's fine, I just expect everyone to hold the same attitude 3-5 years down the road if the same trends continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad