Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Great, he gets injured b4 he even gets on the ice at Nationwide.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Great, he gets injured b4 he even gets on the ice at Nationwide.
Re Dumais: While I am not convinced his skill set is NHL compatible I would prefer him proving his value on the ice rather than in the operating room. Hopefully this is not serious but if it is...bad hips at his young age doesn't sound good.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I knew Ivanov was going to play Friday because the other goalie sucked up their last game. Ivanov responded stopping 33 of 35 in 2-1 OT loss (63+ minutes of play). Admiral needs to just keep playing him.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I knew Ivanov was going to play Friday because the other goalie sucked up their last game. Ivanov responded stopping 33 of 35 in 2-1 OT loss (63+ minutes of play). Admiral needs to just keep playing him.
Im excited about his future, outliers like him are very interesting. He could be a serious talent if he keeps developing, the KHL is a good league.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wheeler's review of Brindley from WJC

Gavin Brindley (F, Columbus Blue Jackets): When the Americans came out flat against Norway on Boxing Day, Brindley was one of the constants, scoring twice and registering six shots on goal. He stirred the drink for USA throughout the tournament. That’s what he does. He was USA’s best player in multiple games. He was making things happen at even strength. He scored a beautiful coast-to-coast goal shorthanded. With his high-end skating, tenacity, maneuverability, and skill on the puck, there’s just so much to like about his game. Takes his first touch in stride so well. He looks like he’s going to be an NHLer to me and certainly doesn’t play small.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Wheeler's review of Brindley from WJC

Gavin Brindley (F, Columbus Blue Jackets): When the Americans came out flat against Norway on Boxing Day, Brindley was one of the constants, scoring twice and registering six shots on goal. He stirred the drink for USA throughout the tournament. That’s what he does. He was USA’s best player in multiple games. He was making things happen at even strength. He scored a beautiful coast-to-coast goal shorthanded. With his high-end skating, tenacity, maneuverability, and skill on the puck, there’s just so much to like about his game. Takes his first touch in stride so well. He looks like he’s going to be an NHLer to me and certainly doesn’t play small.
I’ve been telling you guys that he was our 3rd best prospect since last summer! We ranked him behind Voronkov/Svozil. And yes, I’m still bitter about it!

100 percent an NHL guy, and I’d wager sooner than most think.

Same path as Matthew Knies
Tri City > B1G > WJC > NHL
:crossfing

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’ve been telling you guys that he was our 3rd best prospect since last summer! We ranked him behind Voronkov/Svozil. And yes, I’m still bitter about it!

100 percent an NHL guy, and I’d wager sooner than most think.

Same path as Matthew Knies
Tri City > B1G > WJC > NHL
:crossfing
To be fair the people who voted Voronkov arent looking too silly right now

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
A lot of people were super high on Svozil at the time I think.
I still am. He's playing in a man's league, not against teenagers and young men. Don't get me wrong, I really like Brindley too. I think we're splitting hairs at this point although Voronkov (who I was pushing since being drafted :)) is doing very well in the best league in the world.

Who cares about the ranking... just get guys who will play hard, play well and hate to lose. There is a lot to like in this prospect pool still

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Weird, Ivanov followed up the 2-1 OT loss where he stopped 33 of 35 shots with...

...a 2-1 OT loss where he stopped 33 of 35 shots

Kid's learning about resiliency the team in front of him must be so horrible! Ivanov facing 36 shots per game while his team is the lowest scoring team in the league.

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Weird, Ivanov followed up the 2-1 OT loss where he stopped 33 of 35 shots with...

Kid's learning about resiliency the team in front of him must be so horrible! Ivanov facing 36 shots per game while his team is the lowest scoring team in the league.
Just like Elvis learned playing for Latvia? :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Napoli

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

I am actually more excited for Ivanov than I am for Brindley, and I really like the latter. Ivanov has consistently performed at every level.

Reactions: Napoli

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Ivanov is a great prospect. It’s a shame he wasn’t able to participate in the WJC. It would have put him on the map.

He’s doesn’t need to be on any map but ours and he’s already thriving in one of the best pro leagues in the world. As long as the Soviet Union doesn’t rebuild the Iron Curtain before he’s ready to jump the pond we should be fine with him continuing to develop in the KHL.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Shame that coulsnt have been an offseason thing. Hope it goes well though for personal and professional reasons. I wonder how long hes dealt with it and how much it affected his skating/training

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Shame that coulsnt have been an offseason thing. Hope it goes well though for personal and professional reasons. I wonder how long hes dealt with it and how much it affected his skating/training
"Several seasons" according to this source, probably been suffering from it before draft. I wonder how long the Jackets have been aware of it...

According to information gathered, during the Team Canada junior selection camp a few weeks ago, the Columbus Blue Jackets prospect aggravated an injury to both hips, a problem he has been carrying around for several seasons.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
"Several seasons" according to this source, probably been suffering from it before draft. I wonder how long the Jackets have been aware of it...

Im guessing doctors wanted to avoid it on a teenager and try and see if it would heal with alternative measures. Hockey isnt really a great sport for hip recovery though. Curious to see what his timline becomes. I just widh it could have happened a year ago so he could have had a healthy year in junior to get back into things. Now if hes done for the year or something like that hes going to the AHL to get back into shape and find his game again which will obviously be not ideal

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If the hip injury is an impingement, IE a bone spur causing torn labrum in the hip sockets- I had this injury/surgery in high school- then he’s going to feel brand new after surgery. I hope it’s not more serious than that, and, ironically, if it is that and he has had this issue for a few years, fixing this could actually really improve his skating.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
If the hip injury is an impingement, IE a bone spur causing torn labrum in the hip sockets- I had this injury/surgery in high school- then he’s going to feel brand new after surgery. I hope it’s not more serious than that, and, ironically, if it is that and he has had this issue for a few years, fixing this could actually really improve his skating.
Me too! I was a catcher in softball who grew up figure skating, so my hip issues were pretty easy to figure out the cause.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
How was recovery on a surgery like that for you?

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad