Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
How was recovery on a surgery like that for you?
It was technically supposed to be 6 months, but I felt so much better after like a month I went back and skated in team practices. At that point it would just get weak/tired quickly. Overall I think I was completely recovered after about 4 months, but this was only on one hip. But I’d imagine a pro athlete could recover from dual-hip in that timeframe or less. Lol

Reactions: stevo61 and Monk

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The official release has nothing to do with his hips. I get that some sources may be trustworthy but until something comes from the team or the player themselves, I don't put too much on it. Glad it's not a double hip replacement.... :D I mean that's what I know some of you were thinking. haha

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

6 weeks seems quite a bit less than what you would think based off wheelers tweet

Feels like that would be the hernia surgery recovery. Unless maybe its not a very invasive hip surgery? Seems strange, very curious of what the actual deal is here

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Tuned in for the BC vs Providence game hoping to see some Hreschuk and Richard.

Richard is at least a -4
Didn’t notice Hreschuk too much, but that could also be due to the fact I thought his number was #23 for half the game.. it’s #7.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Mateychuk had 3 points on saturday I just noticed. Was Savoie's 1st game with MJ and had 5 points, will likely be a massive boost for Mateychuk offensively. Unfortunately for tunnelvision though it probably pushes him even furthur into the playmaker aspect of his game with Savoie, Firkus and Yager up front

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Mateychuk had 3 points on saturday I just noticed. Was Savoie's 1st game with MJ and had 5 points, will likely be a massive boost for Mateychuk offensively. Unfortunately for tunnelvision though it probably pushes him even furthur into the playmaker aspect of his game with Savoie, Firkus and Yager up front
Bust confirmed.

Seriously though, I can't imagine playing more around skilled guys could be harmful for Mateychuk's overall skill development. Savoie should also give them a better chance at making a deep playoff run so all things considered I'm happy about the trade.

Since coming back from WJC he's recorded 8 shots and 2 goals in 2 games. Both easily some of his most impressive goals in juniors imo, really illustrating the improved velocity on his wrister.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Handful of Jackets on here.

Fantilli is one of three total "tier 2" (Elite NHL players)
KJ and Jiricek make it into " tier 6" (top of lineup)

Mateychuk, Svozil, Chinny, Silly, Brindley all make it into "tier 8" (middle of the lineup)
To add to this, tier 2 consists of Jack Hughes, Stutzle and Fantilli. Leo Carlsson leads tier 3 (bubble elite, NHL all star).

Couple interesting selections along the way on that list. Lafreniere and Cooley in the same tier but Laf ranked higher. Number of other questionable picks but that and Carlsson stand out early in the list

Reactions: CBJx614

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
To add to this, tier 2 consists of Jack Hughes, Stutzle and Fantilli. Leo Carlsson leads tier 3 (bubble elite, NHL all star).

Couple interesting selections along the way on that list. Lafreniere and Cooley in the same tier but Laf ranked higher. Number of other questionable picks but that and Carlsson stand out early in the list
Also that they rated Fantilli skating as average when his player write up credits his skating.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Also that they rated Fantilli skating as average when his player write up credits his skating.
Didnt even read the write ups yet. Apparently his only elite quality is his puck skills, that is something. I like the little writeup mentions strong skating and then marks it down as average

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Bust confirmed.

Seriously though, I can't imagine playing more around skilled guys could be harmful for Mateychuk's overall skill development. Savoie should also give them a better chance at making a deep playoff run so all things considered I'm happy about the trade.

Since coming back from WJC he's recorded 8 shots and 2 goals in 2 games. Both easily some of his most impressive goals in juniors imo, really illustrating the improved velocity on his wrister.

I like it. I was just hoping they dont start doing some globetrotters stuff or something like that. Though all their main guys just dealt with the disappointment of the WJC and also last crack at the WHL so maybe its just head down, play the right way and go for a championship. Too much skill can lead to overthinking sometimes but game 1 together looked like a big success

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Another goal tonight vs Lethbridge and team leading 6 SOG.

Not important but does it look like to you at 0:20 that Mateychuk leaves his stick in a useless position? I'm not sure if he's trying to block a shot or a pass lane with it, because it wasn't doing either. Is he actually making the right play in a 4 v 5?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Not important but does it look like to you at 0:20 that Mateychuk leaves his stick in a useless position? I'm not sure if he's trying to block a shot or a pass lane with it, because it wasn't doing either. Is he actually making the right play in a 4 v 5?
He might be doing exactly what his coaches are asking him to do, I don't know, but imo it's one of those defensive details he needs to be better at. That's not an unusual defensive situation for Mateychuk where he isn't very assertive or sacrificing in terms of shot and pass blocking. Since his draft year, I've rarely seen him go down on his knee and land his stick sideways in attempt to take passing and shooting lanes away. I think he could've done that and got a little closer to Marques to prevent the goal.

Maybe those kinds of "bad habits" are typical for rover type defensemen because they're always looking to turn play to the other direction, even when a man down. It almost seems like he's trying to bait Marques into making a poorly timed pass to #18 in hopes to create a counter attack...?

I don't think he made the right decision but I'd be curious to hear how others see it, especially those who are optimistic about Mateychuk's chances of making the team out of camp next year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He might be doing exactly what his coaches are asking him to do, I don't know, but imo it's one of those defensive details he needs to be better at. That's not an unusual defensive situation for Mateychuk where he isn't very assertive or sacrificing in terms of shot and pass blocking. Since his draft year, I've rarely seen him go down on his knee and land his stick sideways in attempt to take passing and shooting lanes away. I think he could've done that and got a little closer to Marques to prevent the goal.

Maybe those kinds of "bad habits" are typical for rover type defensemen because they're always looking to turn play to the other direction, even when a man down. It almost seems like he's trying to bait Marques into making a poorly timed pass to #18 in hopes to create a counter attack...?

I don't think he made the right decision but I'd be curious to hear how others see it, especially those who are optimistic about Mateychuk's chances of making the team out of camp next year.

There are some D like Severson and Morgan Rielly that just don't have the inbuilt understanding of how to orient their bodies to limit their opponent's options. But I've also seen so many times that skilled offensive D come out of juniors and quickly within a couple years in the pros add great defensive detail. Some of the best defensive players in the NHL were full of holes when they were 19, I'm not even ruling that path out for Mateychuk, he could eventually become great defensively in the NHL.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
It looks like they are either running a diamond or collapsed box. Assuming it is a diamond, I don’t see anything wrong with it (the stick positioning). He’s trying to cover two passing lanes, with an active stick. Takes away the crease, reads the forwards eyes, then takes away goal line extended. Then tries to close the space down. However, if it’s a diamond, the pass to the low F at the 18/19 second mark cannot happen. He needs to be wider to take away that pass - as it directly breaks down the PK, giving space to the F at the dot. In that case, it’s on him.
On the flip side, if this is a box PK, I think the high forward dropped the ball on this. He overcommitted to the D at the blue line and got too high in the zone, allowing for the pass to goal line extended. Obviously in a box scenario you don’t want your D going out to defend the faceoff dot. So I guess it depends.
Since his draft year, I've rarely seen him go down on his knee and land his stick sideways in attempt to take passing and shooting lanes away. I think he could've done that and got a little closer to Marques to prevent the goal.
Depending on the coach, this sort of style is being phased out. In general I think it takes guys out of the play more often than it works.
I know it’s not the same, but this is a good example of what I mean (in this case a player slides to take away a lane)

Last edited:

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Reactions: majormajor

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So. Calvin Thürkauf is currently NL topscorer. As we all know he's also a leader on and off the ice and loves to throw his weight around. Those kind of players are interesting for NHL teams but Thürkauf will become a FA this summer. For those reasons I wonder if the Bluejackets will try to get something out of this by either trying to sign him or by trying to trade his rights. Hard to say but his rights may be worth something for another team because otherwise they'll have to wait for another year and will then have more competition as well.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
So. Calvin Thürkauf is currently NL topscorer. As we all know he's also a leader on and off the ice and loves to throw his weight around. Those kind of players are interesting for NHL teams but Thürkauf will become a FA this summer. For those reasons I wonder if the Bluejackets will try to get something out of this by either trying to sign him or by trying to trade his rights. Hard to say but his rights may be worth something for another team because otherwise they'll have to wait for another year and will then have more competition as well.
I don’t think they’d get much of anything. Swiss league is a pretty weak league, compared to the rest of the world. Is he playing center or wing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad