Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
My thing is would DBB make a difference. When was the last time a host team won?

Its kind of weird to have this anyway. 3 teams work their butts off to get there and a team pretty much buys they're way in. Yes I said buy. Money makes the world go 'round.
In 2022. They dont just pick random teams and teams that host always load up. Cripples them afterwards in most cases but juniors teams dont and cant operate like pro teams

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Nash's thoughts on Brindley, Mateychuk, Ceulemans and Svozil. Some bits I found interesting:

- Thinks Brindley really stands out in college hockey with his skating and edgework. He wants him to have a shoot-first mentality, especially early into the season and work on the playmaking/give-and-go stuff later.
- Wants Mateychuk to keep the pace of play similar to NHL level in juniors, and in general to be quicker with plays with the puck.
- Wants Ceulemans to add muscle and strength, and also continue to improve his decision-making.
- Thinks Jackets are lucky to have Mike Haviland in Cleveland to work with D prospects.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Sergei Ivanov stops 23 of 24 in a 3-1 win.

Last eight games: stopped 297 of 310 shots for a .958 Save Percentage and 1.61 GAA.
KHL has not updated his season stats but I believe he is now at .941 Save Percentage and 1.96 GAA

Where was he ranked in our pre-season prospect list? #14

Reactions: Napoli and CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think this is the exact kind of assist Mateychuk would rarely get in the NHL. He would to make that pass much quicker. Jackets should give him time to work on his stickhandling in the AHL next year if it isn't improved much by then. Even if he's looking like one of their three best LDs in every other aspect.

According to EP, the longest point streak in WHL by defenseman is 27 games (Dragicevic last year). Now that I've brought up the record, expect Mateychuk's streak to end tonight.

Sergei Ivanov stops 23 of 24 in a 3-1 win.

Last eight games: stopped 297 of 310 shots for a .958 Save Percentage and 1.61 GAA.
KHL has not updated his season stats but I believe he is now at .941 Save Percentage and 1.96 GAA

Where was he ranked in our pre-season prospect list? #14
Looking forward to next year's polls to see if he's still too short for most fans to be considered a better goalie prospect than Tarasov and a top-10 prospect.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think this is the exact kind of assist Mateychuk would rarely get in the NHL. He would to make that pass much quicker. Jackets should give him time to work on his stickhandling in the AHL next year if it isn't improved much by then. Even if he's looking like one of their three best LDs in every other aspect.

According to EP, the longest point streak in WHL by defenseman is 27 games (Dragicevic last year). Now that I've brought up the record, expect Mateychuk's streak to end tonight.

Looking forward to next year's polls to see if he's still too short for most fans to be considered a better goalie prospect than Tarasov and a top-10 prospect.

I believe I would call that assist taking what the defense gives you, Id also say plays that shouldnt happen in the NHL happen all the time. If he got that pass off instantly Calvert would have been right at the goalie and would barely see any net. So Id see that play the other way as a plus and reading the play vs not reading it fast enough

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I believe I would call that assist taking what the defense gives you, Id also say plays that shouldnt happen in the NHL happen all the time. If he got that pass off instantly Calvert would have been right at the goalie and would barely see any net. So Id see that play the other way as a plus and reading the play vs not reading it fast enough
I wasn't trying to argue it was a negative play overall. I just thought it illustrated something in his puck game that imo needs improvement if we want him to be more than a 3rd pair D at NHL level. You're right that NHL defenses also sometimes have ugly holes in their coverage, but usually the time window to take advantage of them is so much shorter that only really skilled players are able to pull off those passes and actually score.

But I've been on a broken record with this long enough. It's probably best to stop talking about flaws in Mateychuk's stickhandling/shooting as long as almost all people seem to disagree with me and/or think it's not even an interesting topic to begin with.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wasn't trying to argue it was a negative play overall. I just thought it illustrated something in his puck game that imo needs improvement if we want him to be more than a 3rd pair D at NHL level. You're right that NHL defenses also sometimes have ugly holes in their coverage, but usually the time window to take advantage of them is so much shorter that only really skilled players are able to pull off those passes and actually score.

But I've been on a broken record with this long enough. It's probably best to stop talking about flaws in Mateychuk's stickhandling/shooting as long as almost all people seem to disagree with me and/or think it's not even an interesting topic to begin with.
I dont mind discussion/debate I just see that play from a different point of view and expressed as much

Reactions: thebus88

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know it was mentioned in the Monsters thread but it belongs here too. Tarasov makes first appearance of season for Cleveland and stops 22 of 24 shots. Baby steps!

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

The most interesting part of this article (imo) isn't the main piece about DBB, but the snippet at the end

Prospect Notes​

• Kirill Dozhenkov has opened his scoring account in the KHL, as the Dmitri Voronkov clone with CSKA Moscow scored his first career goal in the league Nov. 24 and added a second Dec. 3. The 19-year-old 2022 fourth-round pick is starting to earn a regular shift with CSKA and now has a 2-2-4 line in 14 games after skating 19:17 and notching an assist Tuesday vs. Metallurg. The 6-6, 234-pound wing previously had 5-4-9 in 13 games with Zvezda Moscow in the Russan equivalent of the AHL.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

I used to listen to Dylan's Pipeline Podcast but not anymore. I think it's a great concept but sorry to say the series is often times painful to listen to. It's like Dylan has a boilerplate checklist of questions to ask and he just goes down the list ticking them off...and it's the same list for every prospect.

Listen to BobbyMac and Jody talk with a player and they have clearly done their homework, they prompt the player to tell stories and its a "conversation" rather than an interview.

I wish this could be constructive criticism but I doubt Dylan is here reading our boards.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I used to listen to Dylan's Pipeline Podcast but not anymore. I think it's a great concept but sorry to say the series is often times painful to listen to. It's like Dylan has a boilerplate checklist of questions to ask and he just goes down the list ticking them off...and it's the same list for every prospect.

Listen to BobbyMac and Jody talk with a player and they have clearly done their homework, they prompt the player to tell stories and its a "conversation" rather than an interview.

I wish this could be constructive criticism but I doubt Dylan is here reading our boards.
I didn't really want to attach the podcast part I just wanted the video clip lol but it came with the whole thing

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I hope LDBB can put on some serious bulk the next year or two. I was behind him in line at Starbucks more than once during camp and he's even slighter than KJ, who's at least fairly broad-shouldered for his size. He also looks about fifteen in person.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I hope LDBB can put on some serious bulk the next year or two. I was behind him in line at Starbucks more than once during camp and he's even slighter than KJ, who's at least fairly broad-shouldered for his size. He also looks about fifteen in person.
All he's gotta do is buddy-buddy up to Malatesta more. That dude is a rock.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
All he's gotta do is buddy-buddy up to Malatesta more. That dude is a rock.
It's not always that easy though. It's been talked about a ton with KJ that his body type makes it extremely difficult to put on weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad