Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Term is long for me, but i like this for the Jackets. Wonder what this means for Ceulemans chances of breaking into the lineup.
He's at least 2 years away from sniffing the NHL. I think he's more in line with a Gudbranson replacement (not the same type of player, just taking his spot) if he develops in the AHL as hoped. Jiricek could also be held back another year if needed and develop. Either way, they'll have Jiricek and Severson in the top 4 within a year or so and that size and ability is something we haven't seen in Columbus. Left side with Provorov allows Svozil and Mateychuk time to develop. CBJ is very deep on the back end in futures but really lacked what was needed for NHL talent - everyone was young and over their head.

Reactions: Viqsi

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
crazy that people on here didn't expect that a top 4 RD would be paid a little too much for a couple years too long in UFA.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Kekalainen sucks.
He really doesn't though. These kinda comments always get me. Dude is playing 4D chess thinking years ahead and these deals he makes almost always have CBJ on top in the end.

He made a few boneheaded moves over the years, but what GM hasn't, he learns from them extremely well. Horton and Gaborik are definitely up there on bad deals.

This team completely replaced and overhauled it's core and secondary pieces in 3 seasons and now is primed to compete for the playoffs again.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Oh I get it. They just added 2 legitimate top 4 defenceman.

I'm just surprised that a team that was ranked 2nd worst in the league last season is going for it after trading away Jones and Gavrikov. Like only 1 team is going to win the stanely cup and its not going to be Columbus.

I thought Columbus would be looking to develop Boqvist (23 to start the season), Peeke (25) and Jiricek (19). This isn't a 3 or 4 year deal, they are married to Severson now for 8 years. Boqvist will be 31, Peeke 33 and Jiricek 27 when these deals end.

Going for it now by adding Severson and Provorov seems short sighted.

They cant rebuild forever. Sometimes hou need to blow in fresh energy. To be a Middle team in playoff and maybe upset some, and get some developemwnt meanwhile playing important hockey, then just be a basemwnt-Arizona team. Better to surraound younh players with quality players than just tank tank while suck. That is not good team culture

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well, good for Severson for getting the bad. Whew.

Columbus I guess is desperately going to try and scrape into the playoffs, no matter what it costs. Good luck to them.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He really doesn't though. These kinda comments always get me. Dude is playing 4D chess thinking years ahead and these deals he makes almost always have CBJ on top in the end.

He made a few boneheaded moves over the years, but he learns from them extremely well.

This team completely replaced and overhauled it's core and secondary pieces in 3 seasons and now is primed to compete for the playoffs again.
In 10 years as GM he's guided the franchise to nothing but mediocrity.

No offense, but your team isn't a contender, and that won't change for years to come thanks to Jarmo's black-hole wheel spinning management style.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This has been enjoyable and allowed me to post a bit, which I haven't done in some time. It is very evident the detractors on here know essentially nothing about the CBJ, their prospects or NHL team. I've seen more comments around Columbus wasting assets. Oh my, that's rich. I don't profess to know enough about Severson beyond what little I've watched and felt he was a target some time ago. He may be overpaid and it may be too long but such is life in the NHL. CBJ isn't in CAP hell and it's the only contract on the books beyond 6 years (Gaudreau). CBJ has no pending UFA or RFAs that will require significant salary increases. There is low risk to this deal at this time. They have significant assets that have shown a nice transition to professional hockey. They have a solid, not elite, core that needed help and Jarmo got it.

As they say... time will tell. if we're having this contract discussion in year 2, I'll concede and take my lumps. I don't see it happening with what I can see with the CBJ but I'm the eternal optimist. Enjoy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

No offense, but your team isn't a contender, and that won't change for years to come thanks to Jarmo's black-hole wheel spinning management style.
Yep had nothing to do with building up a team that flocked to FA, attempted to rebuild around 2 core guys at key positions who forced their way out(oddly enough one of those players is now f***ing over a 2nd team) and was forced to restart the rebuild before it even got started because of said players forcing their way out.

It's actually a blessing that we aren't dealing with PLD and his BS, or Jones and his MASSIVE contract. Or Bob and his MASSIVE contract, which up until this playoff run were seen as 2 of the worst contracts in the entire league. And for as good as Panarin is and for how loved he was here, he's not exactly a playoff battle type of guy. Ask NYR fans how they feel about building around Panarin.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

He's guided them to their most success as a franchise. Unthinkably adding the big name UFA, being a consistent playoff team (at one point) and finally winning a round against a massive favourite. He's been the most successful manager in Cbj easily.

He's rebooted their team over 3 years with a number of high draft picks, now trying to build a team around them that gives them a chance.

Reactions: Viqsi

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023

He made a few boneheaded moves over the years, but what GM hasn't, he learns from them extremely well. Horton and Gaborik are definitely up there on bad deals.

I mean he's been the GM for 10 full seasons. IMO his 4D chess thinking hasn't really worked out.

He's made the second round once and missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. What exactly about this is so awesome?

And don't get me wrong, I like the guy and want him to succeed. He's just not done a very good job IMO.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He's at least 2 years away from sniffing the NHL. I think he's more in line with a Gudbranson replacement (not the same type of player, just taking his spot) if he develops in the AHL as hoped. Jiricek could also be held back another year if needed and develop. Either way, they'll have Jiricek and Severson in the top 4 within a year or so and that size and ability is something we haven't seen in Columbus. Left side with Provorov allows Svozil and Mateychuk time to develop. CBJ is very deep on the back end in futures but really lacked what was needed for NHL talent - everyone was young and over their head.
Thank you for this, could see Ceulemans getting lost in the shuffle or used as a trade chip. Loved that draft pick at the time.

Reactions: Xoggz22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's guided them to their most success as a franchise. Unthinkably adding the big name UFA, being a consistent playoff team (at one point) and finally winning a round against a massive favourite. He's been the most successful manager in Cbj easily.

He's rebooted their team over 3 years with a number of high draft picks, now trying to build a team around them that gives them a chance.
In his 10 years as GM, Columbus ranks 20th in regular season wins, and 25th in playoff wins.

He sucks.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
You guys signed Panarin to a 7 year deal for 11.6 million... Sometimes you have to overpay for players. The guy had 2 assists and no goals in the playoffs this year. Severson plays a harder position and the Blue Jakcets are trying to get better while still rebuilding. Other teams probably would have thrown him a similar deal.
Ad Hominum. Attacking Panarin's contract does not validate Severson's

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson is an excellent Dman that has really never had the opportunity to play with a half way decent partner. If you look at the partners Severson has played with over the last 9 years in New Jersey it's pretty embarrassing. I suspect he'll look phenomenal with Werenski if that should happen.

Severson is incredibly durable, very good skater, excellent passer, defends one-on-one and along the boards better than just about any other Devil defenseman, other than Andy Greene we've have had in the last 10 years and usually comes away with the puck in those board battles. Severson is a lot bigger and stronger than I think people's impressions of him are but he's not physical.

Going back to his durability, I think this new contract will age well, Severson plays a style conducive to a long career and the fact that he hardly ever misses games is a testament to that. I could easily see Damon performing at around the same in 6 to 8 years from now.

He's capable of playing big minutes in all situations and he's a solid 2/3 on any team. Columbus got an excellent defenseman for nothing.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You're absolutely right. I truly can't envision a scenario where the Blue Jackets could recover from surrendering that 3rd round pick.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Severson is not exactly the type of guy you need then.
Good puck movers provide their own type of defence. One thing I love about Vegas' D is how they move the puck and neutralize the forecheck. Not a zone defender, though.

Not sure I love CLB's new D, but there's no question it's going to do a much better job moving the puck around the ice. Should be a huge bump for Laine and JG. No question it makes the team better.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Fixing a blueline that was basically crippled and unable to defend.
Also unable to make a first pass to get the offense going. Assuming that Babs is the HV the Jackets need D just like him to make his tatctics work. A great signing IMO. The young players need veterans to grow into their roles. It fits the window with Gaudreau and Laine as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00