Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If Columbus is looking at improving in the short term , I can't help but wonder if they'd want to get Anderson back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well, good for Severson for getting the bad. Whew.

Columbus I guess is desperately going to try and scrape into the playoffs, no matter what it costs. Good luck to them.

These types of posts make no sense.

They’ve added 2 legit u30 top4 Dmen, kept all their prospects and own picks and people are saying they are going all in for a playoff spot for next season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah but was Provorov really worth trading a 1st and a 2nd for only 2 years of service ? The Blue Jackets were probably better off using those picks on forwards or maybe a goalie in the 2nd. Going out and getting Severson was a different move because he is signed for 8 years. I feel like the Blue Jackets are potentially stunting their rebuild at the expense of trying to look like they want to compete now. I understand why they made the moves though. Severson and Provorov make their defense better for sure.
It feels like Jarmo may have entered the "swing for the fences to save my job" phase of employment.

Reactions: baabaa

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He really doesn't though. These kinda comments always get me. Dude is playing 4D chess thinking years ahead and these deals he makes almost always have CBJ on top in the end.
I don't mean for this to be a dunk because I know some meaningful players have forced their way out of town and whatnot, but how do you mean they've wound up on top?

For example, the first thing that jumps to mind is that Wennberg and Bjorkstrand represented a piece of a nice middle 6 line that helped propel Seattle past the defending cup champs this year, from an outsider POV that seems like two guys who would be extremely helpful for Columbus right now who left for nothing/ little.

Again I'm not trying to dunk on Jarmo because he has made some nice signings and trades too, but to say he's playing 4D chess and comes out on top, especially with CBJs position in the standings the last couple of years, well it is leaving me stumped.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Im happy for Severson and his family, that’s a great deal for him. He’s a good player, prone to making some bonehead plays once in a while but he really stepped up this playoff. Sad to see such a long tenured Devil go but getting a 3rd for a UFA is a good deal for New Jersey
Great post. During the dark days I was as critical of him as anyone. With the addition of guys like Marino, Graves and Siegenthaler he was much more effective in a less demanding role. And by all accounts he seems to be a quality teammate.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Werenski - 9.5 million
Severson - 6.25 million
Provorov - 4.725 million
Gudbranson - 4 million
Peeke - 2.75 million
Boqvist - 2.6 million
Bean - 2.33 million

Add in Jiricek and that is absolutely a logjam of defenseman (with several promising young D in the pipeline) and a lot of cap dollars tied up in the position. Somethings' got to give.
Seems like a nice problem to have.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Another good move for the Blue Jackets. Sure its an overpayment..but its Columbus, they have no choice.

Werenski Severson
Provorov Peeke
Gudbranson Boqvist
EXTRA: Blankenburg/Berni/Bean
ELC: Jiricek/Mateychuk/Ceulemans

That D is stacked now.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Do they not think Jiricek is ready? Jiricek and Provorov seemed like a good enough fix to me.

I think that money would have been better spent on forwards.

Personally, except in rare cases would always prefer 29-year-olds on defense as opposed to 20-year-olds.

Don't see it as either or and think both Provorov and Severson will make the younger defensemen better in the future.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Sever me timbers.

Well. I suppose if you have Gaudreau in his mid-late prime for the next four years, may as well go for it. Best hope that Severson or Provorov are able to defend at a competent level, though.

So what now for CBJ? They do not seem to be rebuilding in the least.
Jarmo is so desperate
Naaw. Jarmo is being aggressive and filling the holes on the squad with players that fit the direction that the Jackets are going with an established coach who’s had great results with lesser personnel.
Doesn’t CBJ already have some incredible Dman coming up? Why was this move needed?
They need veteran puck moving D’s to go with their upcoming prospects. Without moves like this there is a big risk that the Jackets will never hit their stride with vets in their primes and be stuck in an Oilers like situation and waste their window with a young squad without direction, stuck in mediocrity and essentially wasting the talent in what is a great prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad