Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
In his 10 years as GM, Columbus ranks 20th in regular season wins, and 25th in playoff wins.

He sucks.
Well if these numbers are correct, then his 4D chess thinking sure ain't looking too good right about now.

IMO, if he misses the playoffs next season he's probably gone.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Columbus, What you doing?
Its amazing how teams and fans will scoff at trading for a Karlsson or a Nurse at their numbers and then go and sign a guy like Severson to this.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I'm late to the party so please excuse if this has already been covered - but I'm a bit confused by the moves Columbus is making. First, my assumption is Werenski will return to form and be the #1 d-man he was before injury. If that's true - then I don't get why the acquisition of BOTH Provorov and Severson. I could see one or the other but I question the need for both. With Gudbranson, Peeke and Bean - it seems like the d-corps is in pretty good shape. Then when factoring in the parade of high end d-prospects in the pipeline who will need a slot or two in the lineup over the next couple seasons - it seems the focus on strengthening the d-corps maybe should have been on acquiring a #1 center and/or a #1 goalie.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
These types of posts make no sense.

They’ve added 2 legit u30 top4 Dmen, kept all their prospects and own picks and people are saying they are going all in for a playoff spot for next season.

Because the proper way to build a team is you draft, then once all your draft picks magically become good players all at once, you have a good team & can start adding players in free agency/via spending assets in trade.

Anything before that & it's just going all in for an 8th seed.

Reactions: BB88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm late to the party so please excuse if this has already been covered - but I'm a bit confused by the moves Columbus is making. First, my assumption is Werenski will return to form and be the #1 d-man he was before injury. If that's true - then I don't get why the acquisition of BOTH Provorov and Severson. I could see one or the other but I question the need for both. With Gudbranson, Peeke and Bean - it seems like the d-corps is in pretty good shape. Then when factoring in the parade of high end d-prospects in the pipeline who will need a slot or two in the lineup over the next couple seasons - it seems the focus on strengthening the d-corps maybe should have been on acquiring a #1 center and/or a #1 goalie.
Who is this 1C they are supposed to acquire though? Lindholm has been descussed but Conroy will do everything in his power to resign him. Schifele is probably a big no with Laine here. They have Jenner who is fine in a top 6C role, Johnson who I hope gets 2C looks this year and the Laine experiment. He actually looked good in his brief stint at center. They likely draft Carlsson/Fantilli and hopefully even make a FA push for a guy like O'Reilly

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because the proper way to build a team is you draft, then once all your draft picks magically become good players all at once, you have a good team & can start adding players in free agency/via spending assets in trade.

Anything before that & it's just going all in for an 8th seed.

I keep saying it a lot that you can’t build a perfect roster in 1 offseason, and that’s okay.

But if you never start you’ll never get where you want.

Now Columbus in this example.
They are making moves to make them better and being closer to becoming a legit team(without hurting the future), now when they enter next offseason they have a chance at improving that roster again and being again that much closer to becoming a legit team and guess what? They could by then be a legit move after making all these moves with their prospect pool.

But if they keep being a basement level team as HF would want they’d enter next offseason with a hole in the top6, 2 holes in the top4 while also most likely not having their longterm legit starter.
So what are the odds they’d fix all of those issues in 2024?

Now with these moves their defense is set for the next 5 years and they have a lot less pressure entering year 2024

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
And prior to Jarmo they ranked 2nd last in wins, last in points, first in losses, last in playoff wins, last in playoff games played.
Yes, so he took a shitty team and made it into a little below average team in 10 years time. Not exactly great and 4D chess etc.

He's missed the playoffs 3 seasons in a row now. That's not good.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So, is Jarmo aware he'll eventually have to pay...

Johnson
Laine
2023 3rd overall pick
Sillinger
Jiricek

when their ELCs are done?

Why would that be an issue?
That 3rd overall is likely 4 years away from getting paid and Jiricek 3 years.

They have over 5M in cap space today and Provorov, Gubranson, Boqvist, Peeke, Jenner, Roslovic deals are going off the books in the next 12-35 months and they’ll most likely have no need to retain any of them

& if they re-sign Laine you are looking at max 2M raise in salary

Reactions: Fro

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Who is this 1C they are supposed to acquire though? Lindholm has been descussed but Conroy will do everything in his power to resign him. Schifele is probably a big no with Laine here. They have Jenner who is fine in a top 6C role, Johnson who I hope gets 2C looks this year and the Laine experiment. He actually looked good in his brief stint at center. They likely draft Carlsson/Fantilli and hopefully even make a FA push for a guy like O'Reilly

If you guys draft Carlsson AND he comes to the NHL this season - then there's your #1 center to play between JG & PL - ELSE ???

Also - what about goalie - they going to stick with Merzlikins?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If you guys draft Carlsson AND he comes to the NHL this season - then there's your #1 center to play between JG & PL - ELSE ???

Also - what about goalie - they going to stick with Merzlikins?
As of now Id say Gaudreau-Jenner-Marchenko Roslovic/Chinakhov/Texier-Johnson-Laine. Im never going to expect a prospect to come in and take on that responsibility unless its that Bedard guy.
As for the goalie I think theyll be forced to give Merzlikins 1 last crack at it with a new coach and goalie coach plus the revamped D. We've seen him be good before. That or make a pitch to Korpi and try and do something with Elvis from there

A top 6 wing with grit has been discussed on our board too. Bertuzzi usually comes up

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Questionable contract for sure, Severson is a lot better than most people here think he is. I guess that's what happens when you watch a player a couple times a year and only highlights after that.
He is a middle pair guy and can be really effective when paired with a steady partner. I expect CBJ fans will quickly learn how frustrating he can be, and just how good he is on a nightly basis.

I wish Damon nothing but the best, except when he plays against the Devils.

Reactions: OldGoaltender

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What do Devils fans think about this one?

Is Severson at 6.2M good value as a 3rd or 4th Dman who could be asked to play 1st pairing?

He's paid slighlty lower thaN provorov, so im guessing Columbus would use both pretty equally

Edit I though provorov was a RD as well. I guess Severson is now the top pairing RD in Columbus?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
These types of posts make no sense.

They’ve added 2 legit u30 top4 Dmen, kept all their prospects and own picks and people are saying they are going all in for a playoff spot for next season.
"U30" is an enormously euphemistic way to characterize this signing.

I actually like Severson more than most. But he is not worth this contract. And it very likely will age poorly.

And yes. It is fairly clear CBJ is desperately trying to make the playoffs next season. Is Jarmo doing this if he wants to rebuild? I don't think so. Is CBJ a playoff calibre team now? I'm not that confident.

Like if the Canucks did the same I would also criticize them. This isn't CBJ-bashing.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Is Severson at 6.2M good value as a 3rd or 4th Dman who could be asked to play 1st pairing?

He's paid slighlty lower thaN provorov, so im guessing Columbus would use both pretty equally
I'm glad it won't be the Devils paying that contract, simply because the Devils already have 2 RHD that are better than him, but he's a lot closer to worth it than people will give him credit for.

Reactions: Puckclektr and abo9

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Edit I though provorov was a RD as well. I guess Severson is now the top pairing RD in Columbus?

AAV is fine. I wouldn't have given him 8 years. I thought the contract projections of 6 x 6.1 were reasonable for an unrestricted free agent contract.

I'm generally not a fan of free agency just because as someone else mentioned....long term, 3rd contracts for vets in free agency almost always go bad. I feel like the structure of these deals is almost more important than what the actual deal is. What's the trade / movement clause look like, how are the payouts structured. How much real cash is being paid in the early years. Buyout proof or not; can it be moved to rebuilding team in the later years.

NHL's cap is pretty strict once the contract is signed, but there's enough flexibility that I feel like with these type of UFA deals, we need to start looking at them a little more like a free agent deal in the NFL where you'er looking at the structure almost immediately to see how soon and how bloodlessly a team can get away from that player in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00