Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Sever me timbers.

Well. I suppose if you have Gaudreau in his mid-late prime for the next four years, may as well go for it. Best hope that Severson or Provorov are able to defend at a competent level, though.

So what now for CBJ? They do not seem to be rebuilding in the least.
Not rebuilding? Top 3 prospect pool, 2nd or 3rd youngest roster... They have talent and a lot of promising young talent still coming. They have to add some veterans to help the young players grow and stabilize an organization. Now are Provorov and Severson the right players? dunno, but they aren't AHL players in over their heads and allow others to develop. They are rebuilding appropriately.

Reactions: jd22

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
$6.25M aav until Severson is THIRTY SIX. woof 🐶
Aren't you supposed to get a discount when you sign someone to that age? $5.25M aav is closer to his right number.
You guys signed Panarin to a 7 year deal for 11.6 million... Sometimes you have to overpay for players. The guy had 2 assists and no goals in the playoffs this year. Severson plays a harder position and the Blue Jakcets are trying to get better while still rebuilding. Other teams probably would have thrown him a similar deal.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
For those asking why Columbus is making deals to "rush" the rebuild I went back and pick a random game to see Columbus' D last year. I think this was game 65ish

Berni-Gudbranson
Blankenburg-Peeke
Bayreuther-Boqvist

Now we are looking at something like

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Boqvist/Jiricek
Bean-Gudbranson

We couldnt afford another repeat of last year and now we have a coach that knows what defense is. Babcock has done well with less so im very curious to see how this works out. The forwards will be happy too

I don't think Babcock is coming in and making them play trap hockey. In Toronto he was more of an offensive coach than anything. And by that I mean, these signings make sense in the context of Babcock's system.

He will want D who are mobile and can move the puck. He will want to stretch out the ice and have your skilled forwards have odd man rushes and/or time and space. Severson, Provorov, Werenski all fit the mold of D who can recover the puck and then launch a stretch pass on the tape of a forward at the offensive blueline.

He will massively improve the CBJ transition game. Now, how that system translates to the playoffs is another story but I have a feeling CBJ will cross that bridge when it gets there

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't think Babcock is coming in and making them play trap hockey. In Toronto he was more of an offensive coach than anything. And by that I mean, these signings make sense in the context of Babcock's system.

He will want D who are mobile and can move the puck. He will want to stretch out the ice and have your skilled forwards have odd man rushes and/or time and space. Severson, Provorov, Werenski all fit the mold of D who can recover the puck and then launch a stretch pass on the tape of a forward at the offensive blueline.

He will massively improve the CBJ transition game. Now, how that system translates to the playoffs is another story but I have a feeling CBJ will cross that bridge when it gets there
I know he wont play trap hockey but I also know hes better than Brad Larsen. Its going to be an interesting year if nothing else

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I know he wont play trap hockey but I also know hes better than Brad Larsen. Its going to be an interesting year if nothing else

Oh very easily. The hate for Babcock is very overblown. He can be a dick but he's a good coach. And end of the day, maybe he was right about Toronto's core being too soft and comfortable after all.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thats a lot of money and term for a non-star, #3-4 defenseman. I feel like Werenski and Provorov will be getting most of the PP time, and he's not a shut down guy... so where does he fit?

Were they worried that the price would have been higher in the market? Why offer a 3rd? I can't imagine many teams lining up to offer 8 year deals...

Provorov stinks on the Powerplay. His offense is much more effective at even-strength.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Seems fair. By the time it's in the last few years I'd expect the cap to be well over 100m.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Gavrikov's deal already having a big effect.
Yeah he took a different route with his free agency. Severson was smart and took a big payday. Gavrikov is taking a gamble. Could potentially be a Klingberg like situation when he hits free agency. I think Gavrikov is a better player and will still be sought after in 2 years though.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Provorov stinks on the Powerplay. His offense is much more effective at even-strength.
BJs will have have a lot of competition and options on the PP. That makes me think Severson will underperform offensively, and he is already pretty inconsistent year to year and not very dynamic.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Deal's a little rich but it's also insurance for oft-injured Werenski.

I wish more GMs had the courage Jarmo shows.

Reactions: Fro

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Gavrikov for two years at 5.8 million is a much better deal than Severson for eight years at 6.25

Like I said, whatever you need to talk yourself into this. Even if it means lashing out at me for dropping hurtful truth bombs on you about what a terrible contract this will end up being, by all means.
It's only slightly better in pay, Gav set the bar high. CBJ wanted him for 8.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah he took a different route with his free agency. Severson was smart and took a big payday. Gavrikov is taking a gamble. Could potentially be a Klingberg like situation when he hits free agency. I think Gavrikov is a better player and will still be sought after in 2 years though.
I don't think a team would be willing to give Gav more than 2, he's a bit overrated right now.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018

For some reason I thought the Blue Jackets had 3 1st round picks heading into this year's draft. They only have 1 now after the Provorov trade but we know they will be getting a high end player with the 3rd overall pick.

I was looking at their prospect pool and they are STACKED with defensmen. It takes a bit longer for them to develop but I'm a little suprised they brought in Severson after already bringing in Provorov. It seems like on defense in the next few years they will be loaded. They could possibly trade of their prospects for another forward prospect to help balance that out.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You guys signed Panarin to a 7 year deal for 11.6 million... Sometimes you have to overpay for players. The guy had 2 assists and no goals in the playoffs this year. Severson plays a harder position and the Blue Jakcets are trying to get better while still rebuilding. Other teams probably would have thrown him a similar deal.

Severson was going to get this money any day of the week on July 1st

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Term is long for me, but i like this for the Jackets. Wonder what this means for Ceulemans chances of breaking into the lineup.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For some reason I thought the Blue Jackets had 3 1st round picks heading into this year's draft. They only have 1 now after the Provorov trade but we know they will be getting a high end player with the 3rd overall pick.

I was looking at their prospect pool and they are STACKED with defensmen. It takes a bit longer for them to develop but I'm a little suprised they brought in Severson after already bringing in Provorov. It seems like on defense in the next few years they will be loaded. They could possibly trade of their prospects for another forward prospect to help balance that out.
Potentially. The idea behind pulling in Severson is to give those guys room to grow. No, Severson isn't top-pairing, but he's better at it than what we had, and he ought to be just fine in a reduced role when the kids are ready to move up.

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They brought in Severson because he’s by far their best RD.
Jiricek in time will have 1 of the top4 RD spots and Severson the other.

Mateychuk/Svozil are top4 LD prospects and most likely one of them will replace Provorov in 2 years time freeing up cap space

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Kinda like it, not the term obviously but everything else is fine.

This just adds to the RD log jam in CBJ and somethings gotta give.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You being a Flyers fan definitely explains you being clueless.

- Columbus has one of the best prospect pools in the league and have a 3rd overall pick on top of it
- Columbus has added 2 top4 Dmen without giving up any of their prospects
- Columbus cap is in a really good place moving forward

- On top of those they have Gaudreau/Werenski/Laine in their primes.
Colmbus has a deep prospect pool but at most 1 A prospect.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Severson
Peeke
Boqvist
Gudbranson

All signed for another 2+ years

Ceilemans, Jiricek on the way. Pretty solid RD depth in a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad