Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It’s also July. I know it’s fun to get worked up but the Stanley cup ended less than two weeks ago
Let me draw special attention to one of the things I said that you seem to have missed:
pretty much every single shutdown blueliner on the market was scooped up
It doesn't matter that it's just July; they're all gone already. All that's left is trades, and the probability of same can easily be ascertained by looking at each team out there.

Anaheim: Not dealing. They need shutdown blueliners as well; they're partly responsible for the market going dry (by trading for Dumoulin).
Boston: Already poached Zadorov for too much money; the next guys they have available are Lindholm (not doing; he's top pairing for them and they're in it to compete) and someone we're already quite familiar with by the name of Andrew Peeke.
Buffalo: Well, if you need a guy for half of the season (because injuries), Samuelsson fits. But they kind of want to keep him given his age (24).
Calgary: Andersson is one of their top-pairing guys - so the price would be through the nose - and frankly isn't enough of an actual shutdown guy; he's just physical.
Carolina: Ain't got nobody to spare after losing Pesce, and they didn't want to spare him to begin with.
Chicago: Connor Murphy's about the only plausible target; they're not giving up Vlasic for blood or money.
Colorado: They don't have any.
Dallas: Safe to assume they're not going to trade a guy they just signed in Lybushkin.
Detroit: They've been leaning hard on Chiarot to help out with Seider; they're not going to help us solve our problem only to take it on themselves.
Edmonton: The only blueliners they have available are offensive defensemen and Cody Ceci. Cody Ceci does not solve the problem.
Florida: Unless you're one of the dreamers that thinks they're going to move on from Ekblad, there's nothing there. And even then it's going to be very very pricey for what amounts to a one-year rental.
LA: They're not giving us Gavrikov back. And they just signed guys to cover that skillset gap; they're not trading them away.
Minnesota: Nobody available.
Montreal: Only guy with any real experience for the job is David Savard.
Nashville: Also had shutdown defense as a priority; not going to weaken it now.
New Jersey: They already signed the guys we needed. Maybe they'll give up Siegenthaler after such a poor year, but, well, they already went that way with Marino, so there's not exactly much in the way of fat left to cut.
NY Long Island: Hypothetically our best option if they can be convinced that something like Pelech for offense is a good idea. That would depend on them being pretty desperate, though.
NY Manhattan: Trouba can't shut down anything at all.
Ottawa: They're still not moving Zub.
Philadelphia: Ain't got none.
Pittsburgh: The only guy they've got that would fit is Petterson, and since they're still obsessively determined to compete they're not going to give up that one last guy. Indeed, they poached a guy or two we should have been looking at in FA instead.
San Jose: Ferarro is literally the best defenseman they have; they're overstocked on offense futures. Not happening.
Seattle: They just traded away the guy they could spare in Dumoulin.
St. Louis: Ain't got none.
Tampa Bay: They've got their cap situation under control, so the excuse to trade Cernak is now gone.
Toronto: They're going out and signing such guys rather than having ones available for trade. See: Tanev.
Utah: Trading for such guys rather than trading away.
Vancouver: Don't have any.
Vegas: Hague might work as a fill-in but Vegas' cap situation is so tricky that it's going to be extremely difficult to make a deal work. Pietrangelo isn't a shutdown guy by any stretch of the imagination.
Washington: Adding such guys rather than making them available.
Winnipeg: Don't have any to spare; they just extended DeMelo.

So, basically, we're nearly entirely out of options, and what options might have been there are extraordinarily unlikely.

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
He been one of the more poorly drafting GMs of the last ten years, really only hitting on Jarvis (13th overall), Drury(42nd) and Svechnikov(2nd):
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.21.55 PM.png

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He been one of the more poorly drafting GMs of the last ten years, really only hitting on Jarvis (13th overall), Drury(42nd) and Svechnikov(2nd):
View attachment 893003
So , just so I’m clear .. Carolina fans swore up and down Waddell was just a figure head and all the success they’ve had is their great front office , but Waddell is responsible for the draft results ? Seems since Waddell left , a good chunk of their team has left as well.. I seem to remember Carolinas owner saying during the search they wanted the replacement to be like Waddell , a relationship person good with the players etc .. Doesn’t seem like Tulsky fits that bill . Going to be interesting to watch .

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
Yeah look at those busts like Morrow and Nikishin
Lol I take your point. Those aren't really "busts" but they have (slightly) underperformed for where they're drafted:
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.39.21 PM.png

Carolina's prospects tended to mature a bit later though so there's some time to recover.

So , just so I’m clear .. Carolina fans swore up and down Waddell was just a figure head and all the success they’ve had is their great front office , but Waddell is responsible for the draft results ? Seems since Waddell left , a good chunk of their team has left as well.. I seem to remember Carolinas owner saying during the search they wanted the replacement to be like Waddell , a relationship person good with the players etc .. Doesn’t seem like Tulsky fits that bill . Going to be interesting to watch .
Rating GMs is hard in that respect! Different GMs have different levels of involvement in how teams scout/draft. Ultimately, scouting generally reports up to the GM no matter their level of involvement so the buck kinda stops with them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.38.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.38.18 PM.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 1

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Lol I take your point. Those aren't really "busts" but they have (slightly) underperformed for where they're drafted:
View attachment 893006

Carolina's prospects tended to mature a bit later though so there's some time to recover.

Rating GMs is hard in that respect! Different GMs have different levels of involvement in how teams scout/draft. Ultimately, scouting generally reports up to the GM no matter their level of involvement so the buck kinda stops with them.
So Sillinger was the best player in his draft because he has the most games played? This evaluation of prospects based on GP couldnt be much worse honestly.

Basically Morrow and Nikishin have "underperformed" because they didnt sign at a younger age? Develop later sounds like a fancy way to say not rushed

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
So Sillinger was the best player in his draft because he has the most games played? This evaluation of prospects based on GP couldnt be much worse honestly.

Basically Morrow and Nikishin have "underperformed" because they didnt sign at a younger age? Develop later sounds like a fancy way to say not rushed
The draft score is just commenting on how well GMs are able to turn picks in to NHL players (at a high level - it's definitely not perfect!). The score itself is just how many more (or less) NHL games a prospect plays relative to the average number of games we would expect them to play given where they were drafted.

Morrow and Nikishin have underperformed because they have played less NHL games per year of their development compared to avg players taken at the same place in the draft. But the penalty isn't too large because they're later picks.

And it's not to say Sillinger is the best player in his draft but one of the best value picks of his draft (so far). It actually looks like JJ Moser is the actual best value pick (drafted later = less expected games + more actual games played = higher gp above expected)
Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 12.30.46 AM.png

Yes, it’s definitely his fault Suzuki lost an eye after being drafted.
Hmm, I have built some functionality that allows certain picks to be ignored but have generally used it for situations in which there's an early mortality. On the fence as to whether to include Suzuki as he's still an active player.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Let me draw special attention to one of the things I said that you seem to have missed:

It doesn't matter that it's just July; they're all gone already. All that's left is trades, and the probability of same can easily be ascertained by looking at each team out there.

Anaheim: Not dealing. They need shutdown blueliners as well; they're partly responsible for the market going dry (by trading for Dumoulin).
Boston: Already poached Zadorov for too much money; the next guys they have available are Lindholm (not doing; he's top pairing for them and they're in it to compete) and someone we're already quite familiar with by the name of Andrew Peeke.
Buffalo: Well, if you need a guy for half of the season (because injuries), Samuelsson fits. But they kind of want to keep him given his age (24).
Calgary: Andersson is one of their top-pairing guys - so the price would be through the nose - and frankly isn't enough of an actual shutdown guy; he's just physical.
Carolina: Ain't got nobody to spare after losing Pesce, and they didn't want to spare him to begin with.
Chicago: Connor Murphy's about the only plausible target; they're not giving up Vlasic for blood or money.
Dallas: Safe to assume they're not going to trade a guy they just signed in Lybushkin.
Detroit: They've been leaning hard on Chiarot to help out with Seider; they're not going to help us solve our problem only to take it on themselves.
Edmonton: The only blueliners they have available are offensive defensemen and Cody Ceci. Cody Ceci does not solve the problem.
Florida: Unless you're one of the dreamers that thinks they're going to move on from Ekblad, there's nothing there. And even then it's going to be very very pricey for what amounts to a one-year rental.
LA: They're not giving us Gavrikov back. And they just signed guys to cover that skillset gap; they're not trading them away.
New Jersey: They already signed the guys we needed. Maybe they'll give up Siegenthaler after such a poor year, but, well, they already went that way with Marino, so there's not exactly much in the way of fat left to cut.
NY Long Island: Hypothetically our best option if they can be convinced that something like Pelech for offense is a good idea. That would depend on them being pretty desperate, though.
Pittsburgh: The only guy they've got that would fit is Petterson, and since they're still obsessively determined to compete they're not going to give up that one last guy. Indeed, they poached a guy or two we should have been looking at in FA instead.
San Jose: Ferarro is literally the best defenseman they have; they're overstocked on offense futures. Not happening.
Tampa Bay: They've got their cap situation under control, so the excuse to trade Cernak is now gone.
Toronto: They're going out and signing such guys rather than having ones available for trade. See: Tanev.
Vegas: Hague might work as a fill-in but Vegas' cap situation is so tricky that it's going to be extremely difficult to make a deal work. Pietrangelo isn't a shutdown guy by any stretch of the imagination.

So, basically, we're nearly entirely out of options, and what options might have been there are extraordinarily unlikely.

So what options did we have? Maybe we went after Sean Walker or Dillon or Schmidt but they wanted to play for a contender/stay in the same spot. The same people who want us to sign a shutdown d are probably the same people bitching about monahan’s contract. We would have likely had to overpay for one of those guys and then another hfboard meltdown would have ensued

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
View attachment 893006

You mean we can trade Sillinger for Nikishin?

You really, really need to stop with this games played nonsense.

I remember when Mark Bergevin's drafting graded out at the top of a gp model. It was because of Andrighetto, De La Rose, and Victor Mete. Players who wouldn't have cracked a deeper team and were soon out of the league.

And it's not to say Sillinger is the best player in his draft but one of the best value picks of his draft (so far).

Value? So far he's provided us with roughly zero value. We could have signed a random cheap UFA who would have played better. The reason Cole Sillinger has so many games played is because he was drafted by a bad team that made some bad decisions. That's not value.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I like Silly :(

Personally I would love to be in the room for these discussions to see how it goes down because the exact same thing happened with Gudbranson were several teams had 3x4 (which now seems like the correct contract length but I have no issue for my big guy as I too am a Gudbranson apologist) and we slapped down a 4x4 to run everyone else off. I would love to see how many players are actually targetted by a FO and how many working "lines" are going at once. I find the concept fascinating.
I share this fascination. It feels like it's a lot more haphazard than I would expect in a "business" - and that's not just Columbus but everywhere. Recently as a non-CBJ example there was something about Chicago with Foligno "making calls" or such to get UFA player(s) there (Bertuzzi as a cited example). It sort of makes sense, players are connected and they talk anyway, maybe it's a lower barrier to talking candidly etc. But it's really quite interesting and highlights how the "business" is really business + life.

I'd love to know how it all works in detail, how many calls, do they give pitches to agents first and then to players if there's interest, is it all just talking on the phone or does somebody make a 20 page PowerPoint, how much emphasis on the hockey vision ("the GM has a great plan") and how much is off-ice real life stuff...

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Good analysis, and the board needs more of this.

I still contend the Severson signing really limited what the Jackets could do this year. It took away the long contract option. Short contract guys went elsewhere which isn’t a surprise - if you are going to someplace for 1 or 2 seasons, you tend toward choosing better teams.

I am the guy who has been complaining about the defense for years. I think we have learned making the wrong move is worse than making no move.

I wonder if we are combing through the Swedish, Swiss, and Russian leagues for a pure defensive guy.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

I appreciate the work in putting together this list. What it likely comes down to is what team underperforms offensively as the season gets going and they feel a sniper like Laine could be what they need. At that point, they might be willing to give up someone on the backend who they wouldn't want to give up today. This is probably going to require that Laine recovers and shows he can still play early in the season.

I think Waddell is banking on an experienced coach providing the biggest change on the back end with respect to building better structure in the D-zone. At this point, I'm fully expecting the opening day lineup will be Werenski-Severson, Provorov-Jiricek, Johnson/Christiansen-Gudbranson. While that lineup doesn't inspire confidence, it really should be better than it was last year.

Reactions: Fred Glover

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Good analysis, and the board needs more of this.

I still contend the Severson signing really limited what the Jackets could do this year. It took away the long contract option. Short contract guys went elsewhere which isn’t a surprise - if you are going to someplace for 1 or 2 seasons, you tend toward choosing better teams.

I am the guy who has been complaining about the defense for years. I think we have learned making the wrong move is worse than making no move.

I wonder if we are combing through the Swedish, Swiss, and Russian leagues for a pure defensive guy.

I think we'll get more out of guys like Severson this season with NHL level coaching. No he wont magically turn into Slavin but Jarmo went out and got guys that make quick and accurate breakout passes to play Babcocks system to transition to offense and not stay in their own end but all we got was Vincent and his boring unadapting system that hindered his own players.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So what options did we have? Maybe we went after Sean Walker or Dillon or Schmidt but they wanted to play for a contender/stay in the same spot. The same people who want us to sign a shutdown d are probably the same people bitching about monahan’s contract. We would have likely had to overpay for one of those guys and then another hfboard meltdown would have ensued
I could live with an overpayment of a shutdown guy because that would at least be covering a hypercritical roster need.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
I think we'll get more out of guys like Severson this season with NHL level coaching. No he wont magically turn into Slavin but Jarmo went out and got guys that make quick and accurate breakout passes to play Babcocks system to transition to offense and not stay in their own end but all we got was Vincent and his boring unadapting system that hindered his own players.
Are we sure we’re getting nhl level coaching?

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I think so. I remember seeing last year from what I assume is Flynn's burner account on reddit a statistical overview of why Severson would be a perfect addition for the blue jackets and it sold me. On top of that and the fact we didn't see any of his noted stretch passes he's know for last year due to our defensive system structure I feel like he's due for a major comeback this year similar to Gudbranson did this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad