Speculation: CBJ have cap space and willing to add a forward from a cap strapped team.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Waddell might not be finished this offseason.

The trade of Laine leaves the Blue Jackets with $18.2 million in salary cap space. Only Calgary ($19.2 million) and Anaheim ($21.7 million) have more space. When the Laine trade became known Monday, Waddell said he was contacted immediately by two other GMs who have salary-cap issues.

“It sets us up,” Waddell said. “If nothing happens now, we’ll go to training camp and see how things shake out. If nothing happens, we’ll be in a great position going forward.”

And as much as Waddell likes the potential of that forward group…

“If I could find the right guy to throw into that mix, it would be good for us, to be honest with you,” he said.

Something we've been talking about on HFCBJ since the Laine trade is Waddell has said over multiple interviews since the Laine deal that the team is very open and willing to add a forward to the team. He has talked about recouping picks (no 2nd this year or next) and adding to the forward groups.

Was wondering who would be out there in order for the Jackets to potentially take on a player from a team looking to dump a forward and potentially adding a pick (like a 2nd) to do so?

Before you offer some names, here are things to keep in mind:

1. Waddell has mentioned wanting to recoup a pick if he can in order to acquire said forward. Don't think we're looking to make a "hockey deal", but would rather be a cap dumper with a draft pick attached for future considerations or something really small.

2. Like I said, the want is for a Forward. Not a D.

3. My guess is someone to add to the bottom 6 and not someone with multi years left on the deal (3+).

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Something we've been talking about on HFCBJ since the Laine trade is Waddell has said over multiple interviews since the Laine deal that the team is very open and willing to add a forward to the team. He has talked about recouping picks (no 2nd this year or next) and adding to the forward groups.

Was wondering who would be out there in order for the Jackets to potentially take on a player from a team looking to dump a forward and potentially adding a pick (like a 2nd) to do so?

Before you offer some names, here are things to keep in mind:

1. Waddell has mentioned wanting to recoup a pick if he can in order to acquire said forward. Don't think we're looking to make a "hockey deal", but would rather be a cap dumper with a draft pick attached for future considerations or something really small.

2. Like I said, the want is for a Forward. Not a D.

3. My guess is someone to add to the bottom 6 and not someone with multi years left on the deal (3+).
Shame all that cap space wasn't used to give the loyal jackets fans a better team it's really a testament to jackets fans the loyalty for a team who button put it bluntly has shit owners and is seen around the league as just a game on the calendar.

Taking on dumps for the sake of picks for 2025 is basically an admission that they plan on sucking and I say this about every team there's only so many drafts to rebuild with until those picks become part of the next rebuild, much like the sabres and wings if they suck again this year.

The jackets have had enough kicks at the lottery and as Vegas, Florida and Vancouver to an extent drafting isn't the only way to rebuild a team and usually fails in the long run since most teams don't rebuild and win a cup.

Take that 18 million and futures, use some prospects as currency and build around Fantilli, Kent, David and a few others and make the team relevant. Hell offer sheet the shit out of the wings. You've already drafted two of the three tentpoles with a 1c and 1d, while other teams are still searching for both after years of sucking like the habs who have yet to draft any of the three most important pieces.

End of the day you get those three pieces and a stud winger you pivot,
Look at Vancouver, Hughes, Demko, EP, Brock, is proof that once you got the tentpoles you can build around them without drafting. Jackets have those pieces so why continue to tank over adding the next group of older players every young core needs to win with?

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
sign our rfa's, promote danielson or kasper

Fair enough. However.

Seems like enough money to me, do not think either makes much more than 8M on the 2nd contract. And if anybody earns their way onto the roster, I think the room shall be made then and if, and not ahead of time.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Jackets should stick to what works.

Run with Johnny Hockey as your only 60-70pt guy.
Let the fans hope rookies break out and debate who we should bring in to play with Johnny.
Let Johnny score some highlight reel goals and win some "important" games over the next 5-6 years.
Make Rick Nash GM if attendance begins to fall.
When Gaudreau retires, retire his number and hang it from the rafters.
Then make him next in line to be GM.

10 / 10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Avs will send you a completely healthy and clean Nichushkin.
f*** that. About the only scenario in which I'd willingly accept Nichushkin and that hell contract anywhere near the Jackets is if the deal was Nichushkin@50% and MacKinnon@50% for future considerations. And then we'd tie him up, throw him in a plane and ship him back home before ever he gets anywhere near the locker room.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Kinda late in the UFA cycle for that no?

I guess you could look at one of the teams that has an unsigned RFA currently to see if they need help with the cap.

Maybe Detroit or Dallas?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
For a guy who's been in the league as long as he has, this sentiment from Don Waddell seems to be a little out of touch.

Who's actually trying to unload money right now? Maybe Colorado if Landeskog is a legitimate return candidate?

There's a lot of teams nowhere near the cap -- that would certainly be able to help a Colorado out.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
waddell didn't say that, the op clearly stated that they were just guessing. poor reading comprehension indeed
Woops I guess I misinterpreted the OP's speculation as the word of gospel straight from CBJ brass :laugh:
Feel free to attempt to explain why the Jackets would have any motivation to take on a multiyear cap dump with more term than the guy we just got rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad