Post-Game Talk: Caufield scores OT winner to beat the BJs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
No I've blamed the lack of quality linemates as evidenced by the 38 point second leading scorer. Caufield was a quality linemate but got injured for half the season.
When the 2nd leading scorer has 38 points, you’re not getting much help. lol

In any event, NS and CC will need a quality 3rd linemate to go from low-end 1st liners to the next level.

RHP and Anderson won’t cut it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In my opinion we already saw he can be "the guy" with the right team makeup during the finals run.

You could argue between him and Danault but hopefully we're having that same argument between him and Dach eventually.

I think the focus should be on filling out top talent around Dach/Suzuki and fixing the D rather than worrying about Suzuki being capable as a 1C.

Eventually when the team has aspirations to seriously contend for a cup, it will have to be addressed. Dach and suzuki is potentially a very formidable 1-2 punch but without at least a top 10ish center, it's extremely difficult to go all the way.

Thats why I find the debates about whether player x is a first line center to be moot. The standard needs to be higher than that for cup purposes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Matheson plays 26 minutes a night. The question you have to ask is where and what would be without him?

They had to play quite a bit without him last year.

He's certainly a boost for the club. I'd say his value is even higher now than it was when Hughes acquired him. He backed up what some people considered a "career year" in Pittsburgh with an even better one in Montreal.

He won't be a top guy on a contender, but the guy has alot to offer.

Reactions: dgeezus

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Harris had a steady game and you can see MSL’s confidence in him as he rotated only two defencemen in overtime once the penalty kill was over: Matheson and Harris. Despite the willingness of some here to add Harris as a ‘throw-in’ or afterthought in many trade proposals, Harris is here to stay.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Harris had a steady game and you can see MSL’s confidence in him as he rotated only two defencemen in overtime once the penalty kill was over: Matheson and Harris. Despite the willingness of some here to throw Harris as a throw in in many trade proposals, Harris is here to stay.

Barron played a shift as well.

3 vs 3 is an entirely different animal than 5 vs 5 and MSL wanted to have his three fastest dmen on the ice.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
No they wouldn't. You think a guy like RNH would still be PPG playing with those guys? All the guys would would list have played with considerably better talents than Caufield.

Because he wouldn't be scoring more playing on the Habs and Suzuki would have easily hit 80+ points playing on that Sabres team. I'll also take definitely clutch in the playoffs and has outplayed the other teams top centers every time over being bigger.
Suzuki would’ve scored 80+ averaging around 17 minutes a night playing with Peterka and Quinn? I like Suzuki but not sure about that.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
No I've blamed the lack of quality linemates as evidenced by the 38 point second leading scorer. Caufield was a quality linemate but got injured for half the season.

The second and 3rd leading scorers played 56 and 46 games. Not 82.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
I think this was the first really bad game Slaf had this season. I think in the third period you could see the frustration and I guarantee that he was thinking about the points in that period and that affected his play in a negative way.

What I really don't understand is that Marty has a 1OA pick on his team in the most demanding market and he knows that this kid is being roasted everywhere for not producing.

And Marty wants to fix that by playing him 13 minutes per night with Anderson? Anderson cant even get a point while playing PP1, 4vs4, OT and 18 minutes per night with Suzuki and Caufield.

:help:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Suzuki would’ve scored 80+ averaging around 17 minutes a night playing with Peterka and Quinn? I like Suzuki but not sure about that.
Playing on a PP for 115 minutes with Thompson, Dahlin, Tuch, Skinner, and Tuch definitely helps. Suzuki in comparison had Monahan, Dach, Caufield, Matheson/Wideman as his top PP linemates for a whole 26 minutes.
The second and 3rd leading scorers played 56 and 46 games. Not 82.
Ok? Thus if those guys played more Suzuki could produce more...What's the argument?

Reactions: viceroy and Redux91

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Harris had a steady game and you can see MSL’s confidence in him as he rotated only two defencemen in overtime once the penalty kill was over: Matheson and Harris. Despite the willingness of some here to throw Harris as a throw in in many trade proposals, Harris is here to stay.

Harris wore down Columbus by getting ran over all game. Columbus fwds were tired by the third period of taking turns all game on him.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
I think this was the first really bad game Slaf had this season. I think in the third period you could see the frustration and I guarantee that he was thinking about the points in that period and that affected his play in a negative way.

What I really don't understand is that Marty has a 1OA pick on his team in the most demanding market and he knows that this kid is being roasted everywhere for not producing.

And Marty wants to fix that by playing him 13 minutes per night with Anderson? Anderson cant even get a point while playing PP1, 4vs4, OT and 18 minutes per night with Suzuki and Caufield.

:help:
No I'm pretty sure he knows the only people roasting his lack of production don't know anything relevant about the coaching side of the game. In other words, those people don't matter.

(MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
No I'm pretty sure he knows the only people roasting his lack of production don't know anything relevant about the coaching side of the game. In other words, those people don't matter.
Worthwhile players produce. It's poppycock to suggest a topX drafted forward in his second NHL sesaon has no obligation to put up points.

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad