Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
This one is a gut-churner. I have zero issues with him continuing to develop before making the jump to the NHL. But...I've seen this kid four times this year up close and personal, and many more on video/TV, and I'll continue the in-person tonight/tomorrow and maybe Sunday. I've said it before and I'll say it again--he's NOT the 8th best talent from last draft. Meaning, he's in the top tier, at least in terms of raw talent. He's incredibly talented, and if you start projecting, it's hard to see how he doesn't become an NHL force barring a hiccup (or Sabres luck...or my over-the-top optimism with this kid!). It would make things easier, or maybe harder, if his Minny mates would just bury some of his Swanson TV dinners (meaning, things served up on a tray--sorry).

But how best to get there? Ugh. Again, I have no problem developing him slowly, but with his level of skill, I can see the Sabres brass walking into a dimly lit bar and being seduced by the sultry vixen making eye contact near the jukebox, perhaps a little Sam Cooke playing, purple smoke wafting in the air, those hands gently stroking the curves of a martini glass emblazoned with a Sabres logo, promising they can score you goals, goals, and more goals, so you might as well just stop fighting it and give in.

(I may have read some Dashiell Hammett once.)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He'll be offered a contract, there is ZERO chance Botterill advises he spend another year in school. If Mittelstadt isn't sure or flat out rejects the offer Botterill will go with the flow and tell him the Sabres are fine with whatever decision he comes to.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
After Roslovic went to the AHL he scored at the same rate that he did in the NCAA.

It's not a massive jump

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's going to be sitting for a while, Romanko just picked up a major (deserved) for checking from behind to end the first.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
On for GF2, but it was Pitlick stealing from Autio and Reedy finishing alone in front, no touch/point from Casey.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Mittelstadt minus on GA4 .. Gophers had numbers backtracking and defenseman got toe-dragged .. harder on the backcheck expecting defenseman to get walked might have prevented it if you want to run wild with it but two other guys took the back post driver .. just give us Mittelstadt after this weekend of losses.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Mittelstadt minus on GA4 .. Gophers had numbers backtracking and defenseman got toe-dragged .. harder on the backcheck expecting defenseman to get walked might have prevented it if you want to run wild with it but two other guys took the back post driver .. just give us Mittelstadt after this weekend of losses.

It was a slick move by Sturtz to toe-drag that. I'd take that kid as a UDFA, he's a total PITA and has some nice skills.

Seeing that Murray not only lives but is useful has been nice, but getting Mittelstadt due to the Gophers' ineptitude is probably better.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Amazing save by Jones in tight on a 4-on-4 chance from Casey. Sturtz and CM continue to joust after the whistle.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm leaning more and more toward signing him from his dysfunctional NCAA team to get him into the dysfunctional AHL team and have a shot at making the dysfunctional NHL team, even with the holes still in his overall game. He's rounded out on the defensive side of things, though he's still not seeing regular PK or D-zone usage to protect leads, which is something he likely won't be tasked to do at the pro level but would go far in rounding out his overall game to make the transition easier/faster and also to make him a more complete and useful player. And my level of frustration with his teammates inability to do much of anything with what he creates that has then lead to the beginning of some habits that rely almost solely upon his own ability to break someone down via stick handling is still there -- and at this point I suppose I'd rather he learns that he needs to move the biscuit quickly and accurately to open teammates (or better to open space to draw his teammates to being open) at the AHL level than becoming even more habitual with his use of just his stickhandling in tight spaces to try to self-generate chances.

Basically... sign him. If he's going to be ruined, it may as well be the Sabres own doing it, rather than leaving him to his own devices and Lucia's machinations.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'm leaning more and more toward signing him from his dysfunctional NCAA team to get him into the dysfunctional AHL team and have a shot at making the dysfunctional NHL team, even with the holes still in his overall game. He's rounded out on the defensive side of things, though he's still not seeing regular PK or D-zone usage to protect leads, which is something he likely won't be tasked to do at the pro level but would go far in rounding out his overall game to make the transition easier/faster and also to make him a more complete and useful player. And my level of frustration with his teammates inability to do much of anything with what he creates that has then lead to the beginning of some habits that rely almost solely upon his own ability to break someone down via stick handling is still there -- and at this point I suppose I'd rather he learns that he needs to move the biscuit quickly and accurately to open teammates (or better to open space to draw his teammates to being open) at the AHL level than becoming even more habitual with his use of just his stickhandling in tight spaces to try to self-generate chances.

Basically... sign him. If he's going to be ruined, it may as well be the Sabres own doing it, rather than leaving him to his own devices and Lucia's machinations.

When can he sign with the Sabres and could he join Rochester this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad