Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Just bring him to the AHL.

Robert Thomas is a good bet to be playing in the NHL next year. If Thomas is ready for the NHL, Mittelstadt is sure as heck ready for the AHL at least.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I have zero qualms giving Mittelstadt another year in the NCAA

What's the rush to get him into the NHL?

The rush is to get him away from his dreadful college team. If he's playing in Rochester we also have the benefit of calling him up and seeing if he sticks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The rush is to get him away from his dreadful college team. If he's playing in Rochester we also have the benefit of calling him up and seeing if he sticks.

Getting him off his dysfunctional NCAA team to put him on a dysfunctional (on the ice) AHL team with the chance he might make the dysfunctional (on the ice and off) NHL team. Works for me...

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Vilardi also is probably going to be in the NHL next year.

Surely Mittelstadt is capable of playing at the AHL level?

I don't think NCAA to AHL is some massive jump.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vilardi also is probably going to be in the NHL next year.

Surely Mittelstadt is capable of playing at the AHL level?

I don't think NCAA to AHL is some massive jump.

Capable? Probably. It remains to be seen if that's the best move though. I don't trust this regime enough to think it is that simple.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was hoping to get some enjoyment out of the Gophers' game tonight with low expectations from the Sabres at WSH. Looks like that won't happen.

Early returns are similar to last night. At least the Gophers didn't go 10 minutes without a shot to open the game.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He'll be in the Sabres opening night lineup in October if Botterill has his way. The team is so devoid of talent now it can't afford the luxury of letting a talent like Mittelstadt develop another year in the NCAA. If Sam Reinhart and Mitch Marner were ready for the NHL in their draft +2 seasons so is Mittelstadt. There are limited ways of improving our forward complement, we're losing Kane and have no blue chip prospect ready other than Mittelstadt. The heat will be on Botterill from the owners to be improved significantly, he doesn't have years to turn things around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He'll be in the Sabres opening night lineup in October if Botterill has his way. The team is so devoid of talent now it can't afford the luxury of letting a talent like Mittelstadt develop another year in the NCAA. If Sam Reinhart and Mitch Marner were ready for the NHL in their draft +2 seasons so is Mittelstadt. There are limited ways of improving our forward complement, we're losing Kane and have no blue chip prospect ready other than Mittelstadt. The heat will be on Botterill from the owners to be improved significantly, he doesn't have years to turn things around.

Botterill has consistently talked about making sure players earn it, not rushing people, etc.... so to thing he'll "have his way" for an October opening night appearance flies in the face of that. If Casey is signed and shows he can be up through camp is one thing, thinking Casey's performance and presence will be determined by what Botterill hopes seems odd.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

If Botts has HIS way, his Sabres and Rochester has enough talent to NOT worry about Casey being in Rochester or Buffalo. I understand people are impatient because of our current plight with t he talent level, but I don't think its a great idea to rush a prospect because of a short term lack of talent.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Out of curiosity what top 10 pick has played in the NCAA in their 20 year old season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looks like MN will play a 3 game playoff against PENN. This is the type of tournament where he excels.

Having seen most of the two Penn St-UM games this weekend, don't count on it. The whole team got run out of the rink in game 1 and while play balance was a bit better in game 2, it was a run-away win for the Lions by the end of the first period.

The Gophers look like they have enough points to get a bid, which is okay, but I have no expectation of them doing well in this upcoming best-of-three.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

What does Mitch Mariner or Reinhart have to do with when mittlestadt is ready?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
If Botts has HIS way, his Sabres and Rochester has enough talent to NOT worry about Casey being in Rochester or Buffalo. I understand people are impatient because of our current plight with t he talent level, but I don't think its a great idea to rush a prospect because of a short term lack of talent.
Botts also said on WGR that the league was changing and 18 year old players were coming into the league and making an impact. This was a discussion around CM about 3/4 weeks ago.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Botts also said on WGR that the league was changing and 18 year old players were coming into the league and making an impact. This was a discussion around CM about 3/4 weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure that's more of an observation more than his stance on what he wants to do with Casey. If that was his stance on his plan with Casey then it's a spit in the face of his own actions. Guhle, for example looks to be ready to play in the NHL, but he's doing the right thing and developing him correctly by keeping him in Rochester. His roster moves to keep Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, CJ Smith and others back that up. Everything Botts is doing, says he understands the importance of proper development.

Casey has shown he's a special talent, but there are still holes in his game he needs to work on before moving onto the professional level. Moving Casey onto the next level needs to be done ONLY when Casey is ready, not when the Sabres are ready for a player like him.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure that's more of an observation more than his stance on what he wants to do with Casey. If that was his stance on his plan with Casey then it's a spit in the face of his own actions. Guhle, for example looks to be ready to play in the NHL, but he's doing the right thing and developing him correctly by keeping him in Rochester. His roster moves to keep Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, CJ Smith and others back that up. Everything Botts is doing, says he understands the importance of proper development.

Casey has shown he's a special talent, but there are still holes in his game he needs to work on before moving onto the professional level. Moving Casey onto the next level needs to be done ONLY when Casey is ready, not when the Sabres are ready for a player like him.

Sometimes it’s best to learn by playing against better competition.

Again, a 20 year old playing in the AHL is not rushing development in any way.

Top junior players make the jump to the AHL from 19 to 20. CHL to AHL is a much bigger jump and it’s done by any top junior prospect that isn’t ready for the NHL.

I would bet his production in the AHL next year, if he is to go there, mirrors his current production in college.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Ultimately the decision will come down to where would be best for him to take the next step. As Chain and others have pointed out, Minny has it’s issues. It’s not a forgone conclusion its the best place for his development. I honestly can’t make up my mind and go back and forth on this. One week leaning towards him staying in college and the next towards him going pro and playing in the AHL.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If he were in a different program, on a different rink, I think I’d prefer him to stay. But playing for Lucia on that Euro sized ice isn’t doing much for his development, imo. Rather see him in Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If he were in a different program, on a different rink, I think I’d prefer him to stay. But playing for Lucia on that Euro sized ice isn’t doing much for his development, imo. Rather see him in Rochester.
I’ve been leaning this way as well for some of the same reasons. But I still keep hedging. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad