Speculation: Carolina

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Carolina fans, I'd like to ask what trades Tulsky might make. Nečas is not a leader, just a complementary player and the second line looks pretty bad. Nadeau is too young, Roslovic... as a CBJ fan, I can't see Jack in the top 6 without at least one franchise player or two quality ones (even in the regular season). Of course, if you want to be a contender for the Stanley Cup. I also doubt that 40 year old Burns and a 35 year old Orlov in the next season can be ideal top 4 defensive players.

Couldn't he take advantage of Nečas' high value and get 2 quality players, or at least high draft picks that could be used before the deadline? Thank you.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes could easily make a splash for a forward at the trade deadline after they accrue some cap space. The lineup isn't that far off from the pre-Guentzel one, especially if Fast can get healthy in a few months. Also, Orlov is 33, not 35. The Canes have also drafted a ton of young guys since 2019, and there's a real possibility that a few of the young AHL forwards take another step and become NHLers. Finally, Kotkaniemi only just turned 24, and there's still a real chance that he could put it all together in a best-case scenario season.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Canes could easily make a splash for a forward at the trade deadline after they accrue some cap space. The lineup isn't that far off from the pre-Guentzel one, especially if Fast can get healthy in a few months. Also, Orlov is 33, not 35. The Canes have also drafted a ton of young guys since 2019, and there's a real possibility that a few of the young AHL forwards take another step and become NHLers. Finally, Kotkaniemi only just turned 24, and there's still a real chance that he could put it all together in a best-case scenario season.
Orlov is 34 (my mistake not 35) in 2025.

We say about Stanley Cup contender. I doubt young boys can already help.

If Fast returns, you would have serious problems with salary cup. Also he is maximum a third line player.

We will see, I am really curious what Tulsky makes.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Orlov is 34 (my mistake not 35) in 2025.

We say about Stanley Cup contender. I doubt young boys can already help.

If Fast returns, you would have serious problems with salary cup. Also he is maximum a third line player.

We will see, I am really curious what Tulsky makes.

The Canes have ~$8.25M in cap space if Nadeau and Morrow (both of whom are ELCs that can be optioned without waivers) are in the AHL. That should be enough to sign Jarvis to an 8 year contract even without Fast on LTIR.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The Canes have ~$8.25M in cap space if Nadeau and Morrow (both of whom are ELCs that can be optioned without waivers) are in the AHL. That should be enough to sign Jarvis to an 8 year contract even without Fast on LTIR.
Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis

and next?

Roslovic - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Nečas
Carrier - Kotkaniemi/Drury - Fast/Martinook
Robinson - Staal - Fast/Martinook

or something similar, you know it better

Defense (according daillyfaceoff)

Slavin, Burns
Orlov, Walker
Gostisbehere, Chatfield

You do not have Bobrovsky, Vasilevsky or Shesterkin to play good in the PO.

Do you really think this team is the Stanley Cup contender? I think maximum the second round.

It's a pity, I wish you to play in the finals, I like Kochetkov and Aho so at least because of them. But with this roster I doubt.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

and next?

Slavin, Burns
Orlov, Walker
Gostisbehere, Chatfield

Do you really think this team is the Stanley Cup contender? I think maximum the second round.

It's a pity, I wish you to play in the finals, I like Kochetkov and Aho so at least because of them. But with this roster I doubt.
Let us know when any of those elite goalies become available via trade.

This is a transition year and there is more money coming off the books next year in Burns, Orlov, Fast, Roslovic, Andersen which will give the team flexibility moving forward.

Young guys like Morrow, Nikishin coming up on the back end to help fill those gaps and then we need to find an infusion of offense to add to Aho, Svech, Jarvis, and Necas (or trade Necas). There are some pretty big names that will be available on the market so we’ll see what happens then.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

This is a transition year and there is more money coming off the books next year in Burns, Orlov, Fast, Roslovic, Andersen which will give the team flexibility moving forward.

Young guys like Morrow, Nikishin coming up on the back end to help fill those gaps and then we need to find an infusion of offense to add to Aho, Svech, Jarvis, and Necas (or trade Necas). There are some pretty big names that will be available on the market so we’ll see what happens then.

This makes a lot of sense. Carolina is a preferred destination for free agents so I have no doubt they'll be able to load up once they have the cap space to do so.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

and next?

Slavin, Burns
Orlov, Walker
Gostisbehere, Chatfield

I don’t think many of us consider the team a cup contender headed into this year. We knew this was coming and have been talking about it for a couple of years. The players publicly talked about how last year was their last time together. There was no way to keep that defense together. We’re going to be a cap team with the lineup you listed.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

and next?

Slavin, Burns
Orlov, Walker
Gostisbehere, Chatfield

I think they are probably better off spreading things out a bit. They probably would also want to avoid Roslovic and Necas on the same line, as they are both excellent puck carriers while not being great defensively.

Jarvis - Aho - Roslovic
Svechnikov - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Necas
Fast - Staal - Martinook
Carrier - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Robinson

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think they are probably better off spreading things out a bit. They probably would also want to avoid Roslovic and Necas on the same line, as they are both excellent puck carriers while not being great defensively.

Jarvis - Aho - Roslovic
Svechnikov - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Necas
Fast - Staal - Martinook
Carrier - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Robinson
Roslovic in the first line? Seriously? You are not Columbus. And even in Blue Jackets he played in the first line only when we do not have any chance to play in the PO. Rangers was something other, their second line was Panarin - Trochek - Lafrenier, had great defense + Shesterkin.

I know. That's why similar teams must have strong defense and forwards, especially centers like Vegas or Colorado.

We'll see. Good luck. And I write this without irony.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The canes are going to play one of the big 4 younger forwards (blake, nadeau, trikizov and FUS).

We need to know Fast’s status for the year to see how much space we have. Right now we have around 9 million in space.

We have time to see if anything shakes lose but we likely just long term jarvis and move into the season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Roslovic in the first line? Seriously? You are not Columbus. And even in Blue Jackets he played in the first line only when we do not have any chance to play in the PO. Rangers was something other, their second line was Panarin - Trochek - Lafrenier, had great defense + Shesterkin.
Why not? His 5v5 production rates have historically been pretty solid and he's a great puck carrier and distributor. In the last two seasons, his 1.41 assists/60 at 5v5 would put him 8th among RW's (>1,000 mins), despite playing for some pretty offensively starved Columbus teams. That's ahead of guys like Nylander, Rantanen, Keller, Kane, Svechnikov etc.

His skating, puck carrying, and playmaking abilities make him a very effective compliment when played alongside a strong C+W pair like Aho - Jarvis.

Not everyone on the first line has to be a "first line" player. What I proposed would have 2 first line guys on the top line with a middle 6 guy (Roslovic), and 2 first line guys on the 2nd line with a middle 6 guy (Drury / Kotkaniemi). That gives you more balanced scoring in your top 6.

Reactions: Daeavorn

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why not? His 5v5 production rates have historically been pretty solid and he's a great puck carrier and distributor. In the last two seasons, his 1.41 assists/60 at 5v5 would put him 8th among RW's (>1,000 mins), despite playing for some pretty offensively starved Columbus teams. That's ahead of guys like Nylander, Rantanen, Keller, Kane, Svechnikov etc.

His skating, puck carrying, and playmaking abilities make him a very effective compliment when played alongside a strong C+W pair like Aho - Jarvis.

Not everyone on the first line has to be a "first line" player. What I proposed would have 2 first line guys on the top line with a middle 6 guy (Roslovic), and 2 first line guys on the 2nd line with a middle 6 guy (Drury / Kotkaniemi). That gives you more balanced scoring in your top 6.
He has average hockey vision, play bad under pressure, is very dependent on teammates, not consistent, not ideal position play. And again, Jack played in the first line only in the end of the season. If he was as great as you write, we wouldn't trade him (and value was low) or at least the Rangers would resign him.

He plays best with power forwards/grinders who create space for him (btw, Kreider was such a player, Jenner and Kuraly in CBJ. He also played well with Laine. It's true that Patrik led the line, create the play, must defend more because all the players who played with him had problems with defending. Watching Gaudreau on defense was tragedy, he was trying, but I feel like it would have been better if he wasn't defending. Johnson has lack of strength, he was always pushed off the puck, Marchenko had problems in his first season too. I liked Chinachov, but he got hurt quickly.

In short, Jack won't help you in important games. But against teams that don't play tough forechecking, don't have good defense, or aren't in shape, yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He has average hockey vision, play bad under pressure, is not consistent. And again, Jack played in the first line only in the end er the season. If he was as great as you write, we wouldn't trade him (and value was low) or at least the Rangers would resign him.
I think he has pretty good vision. You don't put up those sort of assist numbers with average vision.

He's a middle 6 forward who can be an effective compliment with first line players. There are plenty of guys in the league like that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Roslovic is likely just a 3rd liner replacement for fast or he plays on the 2nd line if jarvis plays with staal again

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think he has pretty good vision. You don't put up those sort of assist numbers with average vision.

He's a middle 6 forward who can be an effective compliment with first line players. There are plenty of guys in the league like that.
Ask Columbus fans about his "pretty good vision". Texier can also pass well too, but that doesn't mean he had "pretty good vision".

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I love this recent trend of opposing fans panicking over Carolina’s offseason/upcoming season.

Here’s the lowdown:

1. Canes fans were more than ready for this offseason. We saw our contracts, knew the amount of UFAs we had coming up, and expected to lose most of them due to the money they’d ask for. We knew all this YEARS ago.

2. Yes, we’re expecting to take a step back this year. Hopefully still a playoff team, but ultimately, hockey is weird and strange things happen throughout the season. We’re likely going to use this year to have some of our young players step into the league and see how they’re developing.

3. Next year we’re (hopefully) going to get Nikishin over from the KHL, and that + some of our older contracts off the books will allow Carolina the opportunity to retool back into being a contender.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Necas will play 1RW before roslovic
You would put Necas and Aho together? They seem to have terrible chemistry.
Ask Columbus fans about his "pretty good vision". Texier can also pass well too, but that doesn't mean he had "pretty good vision".
I watched tons of Columbus games the last few years, and I've been following Roslovic since he was a prospect. He sees the ice well. Not elite by any means, but he's a very effective give and go guy and is really good at carrying the puck down the wall and then finding a teammate in the slot.

Here are a few examples:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You would put Necas and Aho together? They seem to have terrible chemistry.

I watched tons of Columbus games the last few years, and I've been following Roslovic since he was a prospect. He sees the ice well. Not elite by any means, but he's a very effective give and go guy and is really good at carrying the puck down the wall and then finding a teammate in the slot.

Here are a few examples:

you would saddle Aho with a 3rd liner?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The coaches have yet to give Necas and Aho an extended look really. With Teravainen next to Aho, putting Necas on the other side was perimeter overload. Similar issue with Aho and Jarvis.

The closest thing was a stretch during the 21 season when Teravainen was hurt (pre-Jarvis also); Necas put up 17 points in 14 games that March.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
He's not a 3rd liner, he's a middle 6 winger who has produced like a 2nd line winger at 5v5 for pretty much his entire career. His 5v5 scoring rates have been higher than Teravainen for the last 3-4 years.
he is a poor defender with some offensive skills who has been given a larger role than he should on a bad columbus team. having him on a top line without top line defense or offense is a bad idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad