Friedman: Carolina is interested in JT Miller

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LMAO so why did he bring up Miller at all in the segment? it wasnt like he was asked about Miller or was promtped to do so.

He brought it up because as he said " the rumor right now is Carolina"

whether he believes it or not is irrevelevant, his job is to report what he is hearing.

What he is hearing is Carolina and Miller linked.
Whatever, If you can't see the title is misleading / misrepresenting, when a bunch of posters told you that, then that's on you. Carry on.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Try watching your star player recently calling him a jerk during an interview. Try reading some of the reporter state how he's not a good guy in the locker room. Try watching the video of him screaming at his goalie and slamming his stick over the net.....

Did we overpay? I would have like a 7yr for 8M would have been fine. But all things considered, it's fine. Rather have him all day long then Miller that's for sure. Would have rather gotten Meier but old man Lou didn't go that way.
You mean this comment, when asked about his relationship with JT Miller?
“It’s good, I mean we’ve had our differences maybe in some games, but he is a teammate that I respect and he’s someone I like to play hockey with. There’s a lot of speculation obviously but he’s a teammate I respect. He’s a skillful player but he’s, I don’t know if emotional is the right word. He wants to win so bad sometimes he maybe gets too hot-headed, if that’s the right word. He cares a lot and he just wants to win.”
That's a far cry from "calling him a jerk". And the dressing room drama mostly stems from Farhan Lalji's comment about certain guys in the dressing room making his job difficult but there was never anything specifically referencing Miller.

It wouldn't surprise me if Miller was problematic but there's nothing to confirm it and most of his reputation as a "cancer" is based on National Enquirer-style rumors.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's not like it's a completely new idea that Carolina might be interested in JT Miller. He does seem like he'd be a pretty good fit there, and these rumors do date all the way back to the summer, and even last deadline. It's a big contract to take on, but it would fit with the perception that Carolina don't like to do pure "rentals" unless they're cheap.

It seems like with Patches situation not looking great in terms of availability through the remainder of his deal, that opens up some money to reallocate to what they thought they were getting, but better with Miller.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Whatever, If you can't see the title is misleading / misrepresenting, when a bunch of posters told you that, then that's on you. Carry on.
Maybe change it to “Carolina may or may not be interested in Miller but Friedman isn’t sure so just going to leave this out there for everyone to get worked up into a frenzy, click on his links and follow his tweets more before anyone realizes nothing will ever materialize out of this and everyone will forget he even mentioned this.”

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
ya, please show me where our superstar player called him a jerk
I can send probably 5 or 6 more but you should get the hint.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Try watching your star player recently calling him a jerk during an interview. Try reading some of the reporter state how he's not a good guy in the locker room. Try watching the video of him screaming at his goalie and slamming his stick over the net.....
Funny, if that was the case our media would be exploding about it still. The same media making mountains out of molehills for clicks or ratings, that are still stating things from outside the room. Screaming at his goalie to go to the bench, as he was being summoned by coaching staff? Unprofessional, not malignant or carcinogenic. Maybe it's the years of cool, calm, collected leaders on this team, but showing emotion isn't enough for me to write Miller off.

So links to an interview of someone saying it outright, or even a transcript?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe change it to “Carolina may or may not be interested in Miller but Friedman isn’t sure so just going to leave this out there for everyone to get worked up into a frenzy, click on his links and follow his tweets more before anyone realizes nothing will ever materialize out of this and everyone will forget he even mentioned this.”
:laugh: There should be a tag for that.

Ill wait until mods change it or tell me that. thanks though
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. Let me know if I can help some more in the future.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

A hot head isn't a jerk.

Jesus, talk about a nothingburger.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
A hot head isn't a jerk.

if you didn't read between the lines you can see how he was trying to be careful what he said. But like I said, he's yours (Van) problem. Glad he's not on our team... I'm done talking about this (Miller) guy...take care.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

I don’t think you’ve shown anyone calling him a jerk so you could prob just walk that back now since that’s what everyone is calling you out for

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Legitimacy of the rumor or not, I have a tough time seeing Carolina take on JT Miller right now. Miller is a fantastic offensive player and if the goal is to "go for it" the next two years, going after a guy like Miller makes a lot of sense honestly. It just would be a departure in how the team has operated the past few years in terms of high dollar, long term deals for guys ~28+ years of age. They didn't do it for Faulk, Dougie Hamilton, or Trocheck.

Maybe they are at an inflection point where they think a player like that is needed to "get over the hump", but still seems that his contract is the antithesis of what this front office has done and preached for 4 years. The front office is unpredictable though, so I won't discount a move like this completely either.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
if you didn't read between the lines you can see how he was trying to be careful what he said. But like I said, he's yours (Van) problem. Glad he's not on our team... I'm done talking about this (Miller) guy...take care.
So, you come in to a thread that has nothing to do with your team, make up a specific claim you can't back up and are "done talking about this guy". Great job, don't let the sunlight turn you to stone.

Reactions: Canuck86

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah I was kind of thinking of making a "Buncha Jerks" joke, but thought better of it. Kudos, though.
It's a joke that's been so worn out that I thought better of it myself. Tested my self control and I failed. Kudos to you for not making the joke. :laugh:

Reactions: Cogburn

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
A hot head isn't a jerk.

Holy Heck did that mean guy JT Miller do all that!!!! Who was the captain and why was he asleep on the job. How can a captain let all these things happen???

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Holy Heck did that mean guy JT Miller do all that!!!! Who was the captain and why was he asleep on the job. How can a captain let all these things happen???
Nothing is on Horvat for that. Miller being a "hot head", or shouting at someone messing around at work, or even his apathetic defensive play even...in the same situation I don't see myself reacting entirely differently. Maybe I'd be less wound up with the paycheque he's making. Maybe we have the same mental illness. Maybe he is a jerk. Maybe it's Maybelline.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Legitimacy of the rumor or not, I have a tough time seeing Carolina take on JT Miller right now. Miller is a fantastic offensive player and if the goal is to "go for it" the next two years, going after a guy like Miller makes a lot of sense honestly. It just would be a departure in how the team has operated the past few years in terms of high dollar, long term deals for guys ~28+ years of age. They didn't do it for Faulk, Dougie Hamilton, or Trocheck.

Maybe they are at an inflection point where they think a player like that is needed to "get over the hump", but still seems that his contract is the antithesis of what this front office has done and preached for 4 years. The front office is unpredictable though, so I won't discount a move like this completely either.

With Aho, Teravainen and Pesce at 1 more year after this before UFA, they are at the point where they have to go all in this year and next year with the current core. If they can't commit to win right now when they are near the top of the league, then when do they go for it.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Nothing is on Horvat for that. Miller being a "hot head", or shouting at someone messing around at work, or even his apathetic defensive play even...in the same situation I don't see myself reacting entirely differently. Maybe I'd be less wound up with the paycheque he's making. Maybe we have the same mental illness. Maybe he is a jerk. Maybe it's Maybelline.

I was just being smug, Horvat was a fine captain, Miller's bad attitude is nothing new to every dressing room in professional sports. Canadian Hockey market just magnifies it 10x.

Miller in Carolina , i no doubt would be a good good fit.

Reactions: Cogburn

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
With Aho, Teravainen and Pesce at 1 more year after this before UFA, they are at the point where they have to go all in this year and next year with the current core. If they can't commit to win right now when they are near the top of the league, then when do they go for it.
I think most Canes fans think a big move would be desirable this year, but also acknowledge that going "all-in" at the expense of long term success might not be good for the market. Don't get me wrong, being at a game 7 cup win in 2006 was one of the best sports moments of my life. Also, 10 years of no playoffs and many times being out of the playoffs by Christmas (most of it as a STH) was one of the most dismal sports experiences of my life...and I'm a Chicago Cubs fan!

So "all-in" can mean a lot of things. There's a question of is JT Miller's contract which goes 7 years (or some other player like him) the right "all-in" move and that's a valid question/concern vs. a strict rental vs. going after a younger guy (like Meier).

Personally, I'd like to go after a guy like Meier first (or Larkin but I don't think he'll ever be available), and then a true rental before a guy like Miller. That's just my preference as it doesn't tie the team down long term with an older guy making lots of money, which will make signing Aho and Pesce much more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad