GDT: carfla

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
The last 2 game winners were scored almost immediately on the PP off excellent execution on set plays.

Meanwhile we spend 75% of every PP skating sprints up and down the ice because we struggle to even enter the zone. Our inability to really generate anything with the man advantage is absolutely the difference in this lost series.
Funnily enough I think last nights goal was a rare situation where doing the right thing cost us. I think that shot from Bennett at least hits Freddie (any maybe still goes in) if Slavin doesn't try to block it and get that partial deflection. I'm pretty sure his stick is why that shot ended up where it did.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I can see them going back to Andersen/Kochetkov next year. But you need a strong #3 if you do that, because as you point out you need a goalie who can come up and pair with Kochetkov when Andersen has a nagging injury.

I'll be very surprised if Raanta is back.
Agreed on Andersen/Kochetkov. Can easily see another 2 year deal for Freddie while slowing working Pyotr up from the backup to the 1b/1a.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So does this series change the future plans as far as goaltending goes?

Both goalies still have way too many reoccurring injuries to be relied upon consistently, and even when they’re healthy, they typically only go 4-5 games before they have one where they absolutely shit the bed.

But it’s hard to argue against the performance they’ve had in the playoffs.
both of our goalies will become the top prizes on the market because it is so bad. it'll be an interesting watch as i expect both player's agents will want to go to market to get more than our FO is wanting to give.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The last 2 game winners were scored almost immediately on the PP off excellent execution on set plays.

Meanwhile we spend 75% of every PP skating sprints up and down the ice because we struggle to even enter the zone. Our inability to really generate anything with the man advantage is absolutely the difference in this lost series.

C'mon, the game 2 winner was scored on a one-in-a-thousand freak play where Slavin's stick got stuck in Burn's skate, taking them both out of the play and turning a 5 on 4 into a 5 on 2.

That aside, Canes are 1-7 on the PP in the series and Florida is 1-8. And let's not forget that one Florida PP where the Canes outshot them something like 6-1. The team differences in PP isn't the reason Florida leads this series 3-0; it's BOB. Having said that, absolutely the Canes PP needs to be better.

edit: Canes are actually 2-10 and taking away the Slavin/ Burns fluke, Florida is 1-9.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I can see them going back to Andersen/Kochetkov next year. But you need a strong #3 if you do that, because as you point out you need a goalie who can come up and pair with Kochetkov when Andersen has a nagging injury.

I'll be very surprised if Raanta is back.
honestly I can see Ned being the #3 next season, he didn't exactly impress with Detroit last season.

Reactions: zman77

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
You're probably right.

Staal is still pretty good defensively and in the faceoffs. While he's not reliable offensively, and some nights are brutal offensively like last night in game 3, losing him would hurt, and that's why I'm hoping for him to be put down to 4C instead of getting rid of him as somebody else wants.

He can still shutdown top lines, be great on the PK, but offense? He has some bursts of putting up points in the regular season and playoffs, but when he's not, he can be a net negative like last night.

Also, I for one wasn't saying Staal shouldn't be the captain anymore. If he's with us, he remains the captain.

Bringing this in from the other thread regarding the bolded but if Barkov is out again Wednesday then I really hope Rod goes back to what was working a good portion of the year and sticks Staal back with Fast and Martinook as you have one less offensive threat to worry about. And then lets the 80s line roll again to see if that wakes up either Turbo or Necas.

And hell, even if Barkov is playing tomorrow do it anyways but because what he has now sure as shit isn't working.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
honestly I can see Ned being the #3 next season, he didn't exactly impress with Detroit last season.
I imagine he wasn't thrilled with being sent to Chicago in 2020. Is he interested in going back to the Wolves (if they make up and limp along in the arrangement) or some other split-squad arrangement vs another team's AHL affiliate?

I think someone will offer Ned a cheap backup deal to try and rehabilitate him. Chicago? San Jose? Someone rebuilding who can afford to roll the dice on a highly variable backup goalie and rebuild him.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Oh, and in addition to one of the announcers repeatedly saying that it wasn't a high sticking on Florida against Ghost at the end of the 3rd, here's another doozy from last night, but one that I didn't see mentioned (I didn't read this whole topic though).

One of the announcers (I think Keith Jones) said after Florida's failed 5 on 3, that "it was a huge lost opportunity by Carolina." Wrong team genius; Florida had the 5 on 3. Folks in the national media are so biased against the Canes, that they have a knee jerk reaction to hating them even if they did nothing wrong.

7mu5px.jpg

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
C'mon, the game 2 winner was scored on a one-in-a-thousand freak play where Slavin's stick got stuck in Burn's skate, taking them both out of the play and turning a 5 on 4 into a 5 on 2.

That aside, Canes are 1-7 on the PP in the series and Florida is 1-8. And let's not forget that Florida PP where the Canes outshot them something like 6-1. The team differences in PP isn't the reason Florida leads this series 3-0; it's BOB. Having said that, absolutely the Canes PP needs to be better.
add in the PP goal yesterday was another very fortunate bounce as well.

according to NHL stats, both teams are 2-10 on the PP.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Agreed on Andersen/Kochetkov. Can easily see another 2 year deal for Freddie while slowing working Pyotr up from the backup to the 1b/1a.
I can't see us relying on an oft-injured (sometimes for months) + inconsistent boom/busy young goalie tandem...it barely worked at times this year and we had Raanta in the fray. We either need a reliable starter for Koch to learn behind or roll a 3-headed goalie monster of Freddie-Koch-mysteryG

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

That aside, Canes are 1-7 on the PP in the series and Florida is 1-8. And let's not forget that one Florida PP where the Canes outshot them something like 6-1. The team differences in PP isn't the reason Florida leads this series 3-0; it's BOB. Having said that, absolutely the Canes PP needs to be better.

edit: Canes are actually 2-10 and taking away the Slavin/ Burns fluke, Floriday is 1-9.
Actually, Florida has converted 2 PP’s which were the game winners in the last two games.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Bob or not, we have glaring issues getting pucks in net. It’s been an albatross of a hex spanning multiple seasons - even with Svech - and facing a real goalie is only exacerbating the problem. We’re a living meme for the number of SOGs vs actual goals. While we can tip our hat to Bob all we want(and we should) there is more blame on our side. It was a good run this year but it’s pretty much curtains now. I feel worse for Freddie. All those years with Anaheim losing the way they did in their playoff series, this one has to be the worst of his career because he played like a pure champion.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Oh, and in addition to one of the announcers repeatedly saying that it wasn't a high sticking on Florida against Ghost at the end of the 3rd, here's another doozy from last night, but one that I didn't see mentioned (I didn't read this whole topic though).

One of the announcers (I think Keith Jones) said after Florida's failed 5 on 3, that "it was a huge lost opportunity by Carolina." Wrong team genius; Florida had the 5 on 3. Folks in the national media are so biased against the Canes, that they have a knee jerk reaction to hating them even if they did nothing wrong.

7mu5px.jpg
To be fair to them, I tend to expect a short-handed goal whenever we have a penalty kill. Maybe a little less when Aho is in the box; that little cherry picker has some magical talent in pucking up turn-overs from opponent's PP.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
After more time....

How did we get 1 pp to their 4?

They were slashing, cross checking, and punching our dudes in the face.

Then Ghost gets high sticked with 2 mins left leaving the zone /w the puck....and no one saw it? THE MAN HAD THE PUCK WITH 2 MINS LEFT!!!

compare that to jordo fighting for position with some weak kneed willy and the boy diving like he's f***ing Greg Lougainis and us ending up in the box. and their only goal is on the PP.

the only solace I have is Barkov probalby injured himself while cross checking Fast 3 times.....and Fast still got a tip on the puck off the post. Wonder what would've happened if he wasn't repeatedly cross checked there or we got an actual pp.

Florida is a good team and Bob is playing great. But no team can beat a conference final level opponent and the refs.

That's one half. The other half is...this is on the borg and RBA. You have years and years of playoff experience to see that refs don't care about cross checks, roughing, boarding, etc and you still built a team of weenies you tell to play between the whistles.

I'm not calling anyone on the team a weenie....the team for the most part played with a ton of heart. But they're not a team that makes people scared to go into the corners or forces people to cough up pucks to avoid further injury....which lets be honest is a huge part of playoff hockey.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
After more time....

How did we get 1 pp to their 4?

They were slashing, cross checking, and punching our dudes in the face.

Then Ghost gets high sticked with 2 mins left leaving the zone /w the puck....and no one saw it? THE MAN HAD THE PUCK WITH 2 MINS LEFT!!!

compare that to jordo fighting for position with some weak kneed willy and the boy diving like he's f***ing Greg Lougainis and us ending up in the box. and their only goal is on the PP.

the only solace I have is Barkov probalby injured himself while cross checking Fast 3 times.....and Fast still got a tip on the puck off the post. Wonder what would've happened if he wasn't repeatedly cross checked there or we got an actual pp.

Florida is a good team and Bob is playing great. But no team can beat a conference final level opponent and the refs.

That's one half. The other half is...this is on the borg and RBA. You have years and years of playoff experience to see that refs don't care about cross checks, roughing, boarding, etc and you still built a team of weenies you tell to play between the whistles.

I'm not calling anyone on the team a weenie....the team for the most part played with a ton of heart. But they're not a team that makes people scared to go into the corners or forces people to cough up pucks to avoid further injury....which lets be honest is a huge part of playoff hockey.
I hate to be the conspiratorial guy, but there were a number of takes in game 3 that made me believe in the heat of the moment there was a conspiracy. I think it's pretty clear having seen three games of these two teams that Florida is a more penalty committing team than we are. Both teams are very physical and intense, but Florida does waaaaay more over the line roughing after the whistles, and they also do more interference because their D aren't as fast, and also we have way more puck possession, so they naturally do more stick infractions because they defend more than our team defends by probably a 60/40 margin.

I think it's fair to say that you could have called 1-2 more penalties on Carolina if you were playing to the book, but you also could have called 8 more penalties on the Panthers if you were going to hold both teams to the same penalty standard. The string of calls in the 2nd was completely inconsistent with how they called things in the 1st, the 3rd, and the rest of the second period.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Actually, Florida has converted 2 PP’s which were the game winners in the last two games.

Yes, that's true. I was replying to a claim that the difference in the series was the quality of the power play of the two teams. I specified that I was omitting the game 2 OT winner in my evaluation of that claim because it only came about due to that extremely fluky play where Slavin's stick got stuck in Burns skate, but maybe I should phrased that so it was clearer. Of course it counted, and was the game winner, but I view it more as a result of a 1-in-1000 fluke and not Florida's power play acumen.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I hate to be the conspiratorial guy, but there were a number of takes in game 3 that made me believe in the heat of the moment there was a conspiracy. I think it's pretty clear having seen three games of these two teams that Florida is a more penalty committing team than we are. Both teams are very physical and intense, but Florida does waaaaay more over the line roughing after the whistles, and they also do more interference because their D aren't as fast, and also we have way more puck possession, so they naturally do more stick infractions because they defend more than our team defends by probably a 60/40 margin.

I think it's fair to say that you could have called 1-2 more penalties on Carolina if you were playing to the book, but you also could have called 8 more penalties on the Panthers if you were going to hold both teams to the same penalty standard. The string of calls in the 2nd was completely inconsistent with how they called things in the 1st, the 3rd, and the rest of the second period.
Yep, last night they committed interference against one of our guys as we were entering the offensive zone, and because our guy (without the puck of course) was interfered with, it was offsides as a Canes player in the middle entered the O-zone with the puck.

We get called for offsides, and Florida gets away with interference. Funny how none of the announcers pointed that one out, but they're so quick to point out when Carolina gets away with stuff (Burns with his high sticking after he was spinning was brought up multiple times).

Meanwhile, on the main board, I agreed with a Philly fan that was pointing out the laughable take by Keith Jones saying it wasn't high sticking on Ghost against Florida late in the 3rd (he pointed out the Philly connection between the two as well), the media's bias against the Canes, and get laughed at by apparently a bitter New Jersey fan who didn't make any post. Nothing I said was wrong, but "Jersey Fresh" had to troll.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I'm not buying conspiracy; subconscious bias? maybe.

But I do wonder if the reason they called the minor against Cousins after the game was over was so that the penalty imbalance wouldn't look quite as bad on the score sheet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad