Speculation: Carey Price to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
I don't want a 34 year old Price for 4 more years. Even at 50% retention he would still be the 3rd highest paid goalie in the league. He's not currently nor will he be a top 10 goalie at this point in his career
Lol, try again. You're way off.

At 50% he would have a cap hit of 5.25, that would put him at #12.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
In a three way trade where mtl reta, and the 2nd team retains at least 6m$
To convince a third team to join this trade proposal to retain a couple of million for 4 years is going to cost more than Montreal or the team acquiring Price would ever be willing to give up in the deal.

That idea should probably be mercifully and permanently be put to rest, imo.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
To convince a third team to join this trade proposal to retain a couple of million for 4 years is going to cost more than Montreal or the team acquiring Price would ever be willing to give up in the deal.

That idea should probably be mercifully and permanently be put to rest, imo.

Yes.
Montreal better keep him.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Enjoy last place with a 35 Year Old scrub taking up 13% of your cap of the next 5 years :laugh:
Odds are very good that Price does not play five more years, considering how much he's been injured the past few seasons. If I was to bet on any current player finishing his career on LTIR, it's Price. If the Habs trade him, they still take the cap hit for any salary retained -- even if Price is LTIR/retired.

So, if Montreal will be going through a rebuild, the cap hit isn't going to be a big deal for the next couple of years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
EDM 1st 2022
Lavoie (was ranked in the 1st round of his draft class but fell)
Kassian (2 more years remaining)
Smith (1 year remaining)

for

Price @ 3.5 million retained (7 m cap hit)

The Oilers would have to move Barrie probably in a separate deal (Seattle?) but it works.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
Odds are very good that Price does not play five more years, considering how much he's been injured the past few seasons. If I was to bet on any current player finishing his career on LTIR, it's Price. If the Habs trade him, they still take the cap hit for any salary retained -- even if Price is LTIR/retired.

So, if Montreal will be going through a rebuild, the cap hit isn't going to be a big deal for the next couple of years.
Yes, hence why retaining at 50% for futures his the way to go if Montreal wants to rebuild.

Price is a risk, but at his cap hit retained at 50% you won't find a lot of better goaltender with elite/franchise potential like him. I would question the credibility and common sense of anyone here calling Carey Price a "scrub" or average when he has been the best goaltender statistically in the playoff for the past 4 seasons and regularly considered the best goalie by his peers and GM.

Price would push a contender over the edge for a cup run, like he showed last year for a very average Habs team in the playoff of 2020-2021. It would have to be a team that has a window open for the the next 3-5 years since we don't for how many more years he will play before he retires/LTIR.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
EDM 1st 2022
Lavoie (was ranked in the 1st round of his draft class but fell)
Kassian (2 more years remaining)
Smith (1 year remaining)

for

Price @ 3.5 million retained (7 m cap hit)

The Oilers would have to move Barrie probably in a separate deal (Seattle?) but it works.

Edmonton is extremely desparate in this scenario. In reality, there are better options.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton is extremely desparate in this scenario. In reality, there are better options.

There are other options, but the Oilers should definitely consider Price.

Look at Mike Smith who's way older, coming to Edmonton and turning his career around there. Price is way better than him.

Reactions: Mandalorian

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, hence why retaining at 50% for futures his the way to go if Montreal wants to rebuild.

Price is a risk, but at his cap hit retained at 50% you won't find a lot of better goaltender with elite/franchise potential like him. I would question the credibility and common sense of anyone here calling Carey Price a "scrub" or average when he has been the best goaltender statistically in the playoff for the past 4 seasons and regularly considered the best goalie by his peers and GM.

Price would push a contender over the edge for a cup run, like he showed last year for a very average Habs team in the playoff of 2020-2021. It would have to be a team that has a window open for the the next 3-5 years since we don't for how many more years he will play before he retires/LTIR.

Perhaps. But you need to tailor your ask. There's too much "Jack and the Beanstalk" here.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
There are other options, but the Oilers should definitely consider Price.

Look at Mike Smith who's way older, coming to Edmonton and turning his career around there. Price is way better than him.

Is or was? That's really the problem, especially with that contract, no?

Mandalorian

Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free

Like who?

The only interesting piece in that trade that is coming to Montreal is Edmonton 1st, for an elite goaltender. I don't see how this is a desperation move for Edmonton. Specially if Montreal is ready to go higher on the retention like say 40-50%.

You won't get Price for a 3rd.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
not enuf to MON if they are eating half

it would have to be like some variant of
Krav + Strome + Geo + Hajek
for
Price at half
{ballpark cap neutral}
who is immediately flipped at another 1.5 retained to Oil

but the return coming back has to be signnif incl Broberg for starters and Oil so far unwilling to go there

Oilers can not trade Broberg . Their D is shit . That would be like trying to get a teams top C prospect blue chip when they have no C depth . NYR want Broberg we need a goalie and it not Geo ,so it not happening .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Don't watch much playoff hockey, do you?

How many goalies have went on a hot run in the playoffs ? it doesn't make them elite . Montreal fans are turning a blind eye to the facts . Price has got a sun burnt neck from the light in the net during the regular season . I already posted Price's number vs Koskinen's number in one of the many Price thread during the regular season for the pass 3 years and they are very similar . Every piece Montreal fans to trade their fans claim how good they were in the playoffs . They went to the finals on the back of Price , Chiarot was so good in the playoffs he a beast which is it ? Lets be clear Price was good in the playoffs but he had help . No one was call Rollie the goalie elite when he took Edmonton to the finals .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think Koskinen would jump at going anywhere other than Edm right now... he's UFA, as long as he gets to play for a team not dead set on burying him under the bus, I'd bet he waves in a heartbeat.

More or less agree with the rest. Though with how late the 1st is likely to be, I think the it takes replacing the 3rd with a quality prospect like Bourgault or Holloway, or slightly lesser like Lavoie or Samorukov

Keep him then . Hab's fans see the retaining 5.25 million as the be all end all . Other fans see it as a 5.25 question mark plus Montreal saves 5.25 million . If this deal has any legs I rather waive Koskinen and send Barrie the other way .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Speculated trade: Oilers trade their 2022 1st rounder (with conditions), a 2023 3rd, and Mikko Koskinen for Carey Price at 50% retained.

Oilers have no choice but to get a goalie--Kosk wants out(based upon his comments) after what happened between him and Tippett is my guess.If the habs are eating 50% of the contract--I think they will ask for more

I was 100% against Price--but things are so screwed up--oilers need a goalie-how close is Price to returning

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
His actual salary is still 7.5-8.5Mil per year at that point, no way he is walking away from that. Doesn't matter anyway, even with 50% retention Edmonton can't afford him next year without some major cap dumps going out.
Yeah that is crazy. Imagine retaining 2.5 or 3 million per year for next 4 years and having to pay Koskinen.

Koskinen at 4.5 million for another 5 months VS Price at 10.5 million for another 4.5 years ? Your right it crazy to think any team would take Price . Seattle believe in Price so much that went after an UFA over Price for free .

Reactions: centipede2233

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
How many goalies have went on a hot run in the playoffs ? it doesn't make them elite . Montreal fans are turning a blind eye to the facts . Price has got a sun burnt neck from the light in the net during the regular season . I already posted Price's number vs Koskinen's number in one of the many Price thread during the regular season for the pass 3 years and they are very similar . Every piece Montreal fans to trade their fans claim how good they were in the playoffs . They went to the finals on the back of Price , Chiarot was so good in the playoffs he a beast which is it ? Lets be clear Price was good in the playoffs but he had help . No one was call Rollie the goalie elite when he took Edmonton to the finals .
You should try to add an extra paragraph or two to your responses, so at least the clownish takes aren't this close together.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
this is the worst post in the this thread. :laugh:

why can't you just say you messed up:

price 50% 5.25
- koskinen 4.5
= 0.750m

You for got some facts in your math

A= Price = (10,500,000 x .50) x4.5 = 23,625,000 - B=Koskinen = 4.5 x .5 = 2,250,000 = 23,625,000- 2,250,000 = 21,375,000

21.375,000 = lots of risk
2,250,000 = zero risk

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You should try to add an extra paragraph or two to your responses, so at least the clownish takes aren't this close together.

Who cares ? I been up for 24 hours and only 3.5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours .

The facts do not change . I guess you can't argue the merits of the posting so you try and find something wrong .

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Nobody was taking Kuznetsov for full price because he is 29 and snorted a line of nosecandy, but teams surely are lining up to get a goalie who is older, injured, more expensive, and hasn’t played hockey in 6 months after coming off of rehab for drug issues...

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think trading for price would be a mistake for any team. His best years at regular season are long gone, his save % for the 2 years prior to this year is no better than koskinens. People argue, but what about playoffs. And my rebuttal is, if koskinen save % can’t get you to the playoffs, what makes you think regular season price can. And I haven’t even touched on the fact price’s injury/drug issues and not played in 7 months.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
i am in the other corner, but lost the interest to discuss this topic with a fan base, who picks a hot streak and ignores the rest to evaluate a players trade value.

@50% i wouldn't want price on my team for free. this could change, if he plays well for an extended period. but today the downside of his contract is bigger than the potential upside.
Bingo. Price is way too risky, even at 50%. If the Avs make a goalie move, it will be for MAF.

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
Sooo Colorado and Edmonton can't find an even ground with Montreal, how about we find another team. Neither of these teams want price for what your offering so please keep telling us about h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad