Speculation: Carey Price to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Now just imagine Carey Price's .901 sv% in 25 games last year.

Or his .908 sv% the year before.

But yes "elite goalie" as you embarrassingly put it.
Habs minus covid seasons would have missed the playoffs for 6 straight years and probably 7 next year.

Jake Allen is saving us most of the time this season and he's barely at .900 .

When you have 5 dman in ur top 6 that are 5-6-7th defs. You don't go far.

Clearly if Price was playing with teams who have more than 1 def in the top 4 , his % would easily increase.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
This doesn't make sense for either team unless McDiver is about to demand a trade if Edmonton doesn't bring in an NHL quality goalie. Montreal loses control over Price and gets massive cap uncertainty, while Edmonton is rolling the dice on an aging goalie with severe health issues, and who really needs a serviceable backup to keep him sharp, which they don't have.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
That five game stretch at .936% would probably be a lot more impressive if he wasn't .904% in the 17 games before that.

Which is pretty embarrassing behind a defense as loaded as Colorado's.
Goalies need time to adjust to a new team, fact is he's trending up and has shown he can have real good games. Colorado's defense is loaded but not in the shut it down kind of way, they're elite at puck moving and generating offense.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
What does this look like if Price plays a year or maybe two from Edmonton and then retires. Doesn't Montreal take on the entire contract cap hit?
His actual salary is still 7.5-8.5Mil per year at that point, no way he is walking away from that. Doesn't matter anyway, even with 50% retention Edmonton can't afford him next year without some major cap dumps going out.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Koskinen has a NMC... why would he want to go to Montreal in his last season?

and Montreal wouldnt eat half if theyre just getting a probable late 1st rounder and 3rd

At this point, Koskinen probably just wants the hell out of Edmonton.

Montreal wouldn't do this anyway.

Reactions: Morrison

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Honestly as much as id love to have price on the team id rather have MAF for 2-3 years over price but at the same time i want to see what boston does with ullmark because if they place him 3rd once rask is back he'll be pissed then might be willing to waive his nmc then they can go back to the debrusk/yamo trade and make it a bigger trade.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Poor soul if you think Price is not entering LITR in max 2 years after this season

Any team that would acquire him would be using him for 2 years max and then the rest goes LITR.
That magical injury to fix the salary issue always happen.

Sure did for Weber and many others

Just like with Eriksson, Ladd, and Parise! ;)

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I'll comment on the Price to the Avs. Sakic spent a 1st + Timmins for Kuemper and would also need to spend more just to have a more proven goalie in the playoffs. Problem is that there are question marks with Price considering he hasn't played a game so far this year and coming off a surgery. I would rather target a guy like Fleury or Quick to get a better 1A-1B goalie come the playoffs than trade multiple assets for an uncertainty in Price who again hasn't played a game this year and is signed til he's 39yo.

On the Habs POV, retaining around 5M$ a year is freaking huge in the cap era and I doubt they would want to sell him cheap unless they plan on being competitive soon by trading his contract so they can add a huge name this summer. So to me they would want something significant if they retain that much. Sadly Avs can't gamble on that.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
For like the hundredth time, NO from the Oilers. Huge risk. Huge cap implications even at 50%. Just forget it.
What’s the risk. Your team sucks right now and all it does is pushing Draistl and McDavid away from Edmonton for their next contract.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Then you forgot Hossa Robidas Seabrook Shaw

but hey whatever fill your narrative. Also Eriksson sucks he's not injury prone

I have no horse in this race.

Just pointing out that gambling on a player making 30 million in cash playing the game that he loves to fake an injury to go on LTIR may not be the best strategy if you are running a team....

If you would like to get into comparing players who have been over 35 and not been worth their contract and kept playing vs those that went on LTIR, I am pretty sure the former will be a much longer list than the later.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What’s the risk. Your team sucks right now and all it does is pushing Draistl and McDavid away from Edmonton for their next contract.
Four seasons of possible dead cap on an injury prone goaltender turning 35 in the very near future. Two and a half years removed from any semblance of 'elite' performance in the regular season. A Cinderella stretch of games in a playoff held without fans is the only thing suggesting there's any game left in him.

The whole premise of the trade is risk. The term, the salary, the ask...All of it. It isn't worth it.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
So you have no argument. Cool.
Playoffs don't matter bro!

In before "BuT hE HaS No CuP!!!".

Hockey is a team sport. Ray Bourque had to wait to be 40 years old and on a contender before he could raise the cup despite being one of the best to ever lace them up. Put the Carey Price of the last 4 seasons on a real contender who needs a game breaker in front of the net and the guys already has a couple of cups.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Crazy how all these habs fans are so delusional, you're so right..

Or maybe you might actually be the one who's devaluing a goalie that can actually beat Vegas in the playoffs?
i am in the other corner, but lost the interest to discuss this topic with a fan base, who picks a hot streak and ignores the rest to evaluate a players trade value.

@50% i wouldn't want price on my team for free. this could change, if he plays well for an extended period. but today the downside of his contract is bigger than the potential upside.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
When you can actually argue the point and not just sling insults, let me know.

But that would require you to actually explain how Sakic wouldn't pay an extra $725K and a late 1st to swap Kuemper for Price. :laugh: And you can't.
+ 1.75m cap hit
+ 4 years of term
+ 34 years old and counting
+ injury history
+ substance abuse (pain killers?) history
+ average stats the last four seasons with spurts of excellence

what could get wrong?

Reactions: SwedishFire

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
there is major uncertainty for sure, however you’re getting a goalie who has led the 31st team in the NHL to SC finals last year. Don’t get me wrong, I hated that contract the moment it was signed, but at 5.25m a) MTL should ask more (5% of the cap retained for 4 years after this one is not the same as spending them on an active goalie) and b) get more if some other teams are interested, else why not wait ?
time to throw the rest of the team under bus again.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
+ 1.75m cap hit
+ 4 years of term
+ 34 years old and counting
+ injury history
+ substance abuse (pain killers?) history
+ average stats the last four seasons with spurts of excellence

what could get wrong?

That guy isn't worth actually responding to, but essentially yes all of those things.

Now, imagine you're a GM and you have to go to your owner and get that financial commitment for a player with all those issues, for another $25M and paying the guy until he's 38 years old. AND on top of all that, you have to give up a 1st round pick, a top tier prospect, and other assets that this guy and other Habs fans think Price is worth.

Price @50% retained is worthless. The only thing worth anything in that deal is the 50% of retention and good luck getting any GM to pay what Habs fans in here think that's worth, let alone finding owners dumb enough to take on $25M of substantial risk with not much chance of reward.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Best goalie in the world and hfboards thinks he isn't worth a late 1st lol, look at where mtl is this year without him, edmonton would win multiple cups with him

Reactions: Mandalorian

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Let me let you in on something: 31 year olds typically dont take paycuts on their next contract. So you're either gonna re-sign him to $4.5M+ or you're gonna go to UFA, where the only $3.5M goalies you're gonna get wont take you to a Cup.

So again, save $725K for Kuemper vs. Price. :laugh:
this is the worst post in the this thread. :laugh:

why can't you just say you messed up:

price 50% 5.25
- koskinen 4.5
= 0.750m

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Best goalie in the world and hfboards thinks he isn't worth a late 1st lol, look at where mtl is this year without him, edmonton would win multiple cups with him

:laugh:

Let's not kid ourselves here... Carey Price isn't the reason Montreal is in last place this year. Literally everyone outside of Montreal knew the moment Weber LTIRetired, Tatar, Danault and Kotkaniemi left... That team was going to be much worse.

Throw in even more injuries to deal with and its a tire fire we all saw coming. Everyone except Bergevin and some Montreal fans.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That guy isn't worth actually responding to, but essentially yes all of those things.

Now, imagine you're a GM and you have to go to your owner and get that financial commitment for a player with all those issues, for another $25M and paying the guy until he's 38 years old. AND on top of all that, you have to give up a 1st round pick, a top tier prospect, and other assets that this guy and other Habs fans think Price is worth.

Price @50% retained is worthless. The only thing worth anything in that deal is the 50% of retention and good luck getting any GM to pay what Habs fans in here think that's worth, let alone finding owners dumb enough to take on $25M of substantial risk with not much chance of reward.
i understand fans expext a higher return with retention.

but for the acquiring team the money retained doesn't matter. they just evaluate the player after retention.

if price was on a 6.25m contract with the same term and montreal was willing to retain 1m, his trade value would be exactly the same as the 10.5m @50%.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

In a three way trade where mtl reta, and the 2nd team retains at least 6m$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad