Speculation: Carey Price to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Unless he asks for a trade, it doesn't make much sense to keep paying Price at over 5 mil for another 5 years unless the return is at least decent. Getting back a late first and a mediocre goalie in the last year of his contract is not decent. 5,25 plus the over 4 mil to Koskinen is pretty much Price's salary. All this for a very late first and ending up with no goaltending after this year?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
not enuf to MON if they are eating half

it would have to be like some variant of
Krav + Strome + Geo + Hajek
for
Price at half
{ballpark cap neutral}
who is immediately flipped at another 1.5 retained to Oil

but the return coming back has to be signnif incl Broberg for starters and Oil so far unwilling to go there
Man Bern, you just don’t take no on the Broberg thing.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Keep your emotional stuff to yourself... adds no value.

You had a bad take, I pointed it out. What team I cheer for is irrelevant.

The "major injury" he's coming off of was no inhibitor to guiding a bad team to the finals... posters with poor takes are ridiculous
Emotional? The only ones being emotional are Habs fans when someone tells them they aren't getting a kings ransom for a 34 year old with an injury history.

Price's surgery happened after the playoff run, so your point makes no sense.

Saying Price may not be a top 5 goalie considering all the factors is a bad take? According to you, even postulating something like that isn't even acceptable.. that's ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: 780il and Snowman

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
For like the hundredth time, NO from the Oilers. Huge risk. Huge cap implications even at 50%. Just forget it.

Reactions: Homesick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't want a 34 year old Price for 4 more years. Even at 50% retention he would still be the 3rd highest paid goalie in the league. He's not currently nor will he be a top 10 goalie at this point in his career

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Carey Price is 34 and coming off a major injury. He might not even be a top 5 goalie anymore. You realize that 50% retained, his cap hit would be 5.25m for 5 more years, right?

there is major uncertainty for sure, however you’re getting a goalie who has led the 31st team in the NHL to SC finals last year. Don’t get me wrong, I hated that contract the moment it was signed, but at 5.25m a) MTL should ask more (5% of the cap retained for 4 years after this one is not the same as spending them on an active goalie) and b) get more if some other teams are interested, else why not wait ?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Koskinen has a NMC... why would he want to go to Montreal in his last season?

and Montreal wouldnt eat half if theyre just getting a probable late 1st rounder and 3rd
Koskinen will likely accept a trade anywhere at this point. His fans hate him, his coach doesn't seem to respect him, and a change of scenery could let him show that he isn't as bad as his recent play, which could either get him another chance in the NHL as a backup, or a better contract in whatever other league he plays on next year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He's 34...

I mean almost 35...

I mean he's old and old ppl suck...

Carry on. Enjoy the post season with Kuemper.
We seem to be doing just fine with him
upload_2022-1-7_20-9-19.jpeg

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't want a 34 year old Price for 4 more years. Even at 50% retention he would still be the 3rd highest paid goalie in the league. He's not currently nor will he be a top 10 goalie at this point in his career
That’s a worry I understand. as a Habs fan, but (see post above) I don’t think Price is a pure dump at 50% either. At this point, I’d rather see how he plays when he comes back and gamble for resurrection ?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Speculated trade: Oilers trade their 2022 1st rounder (with conditions), a 2023 3rd, and Mikko Koskinen for Carey Price at 50% retained.

If that is the deal, then I am fine with it. It creates a cap crunch next season, but if we have some playoff success then I won’t give a shit.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Enjoy last place with a 35 Year Old scrub taking up 13% of your cap of the next 5 years :laugh:
Poor soul if you think Price is not entering LITR in max 2 years after this season

Any team that would acquire him would be using him for 2 years max and then the rest goes LITR.
That magical injury to fix the salary issue always happen.

Sure did for Weber and many others

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That five game stretch at .936% would probably be a lot more impressive if he wasn't .904% in the 17 games before that.

Which is pretty embarrassing behind a defense as loaded as Colorado's.

Now just imagine Carey Price's .901 sv% in 25 games last year.

Or his .908 sv% the year before.

But yes "elite goalie" as you embarrassingly put it.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
For like the hundredth time, NO from the Oilers. Huge risk. Huge cap implications even at 50%. Just forget it.

What does this look like if Price plays a year or maybe two from Edmonton and then retires. Doesn't Montreal take on the entire contract cap hit?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Let me start with an easy equation for you.

What's 5,250,000 - 3,500,000

I'll give you a hint. It's not 750,000.

Let me let you in on something: 31 year olds typically dont take paycuts on their next contract. So you're either gonna re-sign him to $4.5M+ or you're gonna go to UFA, where the only $3.5M goalies you're gonna get wont take you to a Cup.

So again, save $725K for Kuemper vs. Price. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad