Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
A goat doing goat things isnt surprising. Brodeur is a product of his team but hes also an amazing goaltender. With Price, hes only an amazing goaltender.

Also those past Nieds teams werent bad. Lou spent money until Brodeur couldnt stand up. Lou was at this peak in the 00s, he built a team that could compete with no real star on the back end by focusing on the two-way ability and having players able to back it up when that plan failed. The Devils were an awesome offensive core with insane two way ability, lead by guys like Elias on one end and Madden on the other. From 05 until 12, they were 3rd in the league in SA's and 2nd in GA.

Ill even go as far as to say that any of the winning team Brodeur got after Nieds departure in 04 was better than Prices best team. 2015 I guess.
Elias is an underrated superstar as far as I'm concerned.

That said, Brodeur was their Tom Brady. Whenever someone says Brodeur benefited from 'the System' I laugh it off, Brodeur WAS the System. Sometimes he had help (just like Brady had help) and so he did great things but he was really, exceptionally reliable. I've always felt that Price was exceptionally reliable too but the Habs never had the players to compliment him. What a shame. That said, I don't think it's possible to rank Price above Brodeur or Roy even if you take context into account,.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Elias is an underrated superstar as far as I'm concerned.

That said, Brodeur was their Tom Brady. Whenever someone says Brodeur benefited from 'the System' I laugh it off, Brodeur WAS the System. Sometimes he had help (just like Brady had help) and so he did great things but he was really, exceptionally reliable. I've always felt that Price was exceptionally reliable too but the Habs never had the players to compliment him. What a shame. That said, I don't think it's possible to rank Price above Brodeur or Roy even if you take context into account,.
He is, and so was Parise.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The problem with the comparisons is that the teams are at such extremes. Montreal was easily the best defensive team in the league in the late 80s. The Devils were the same throughout much of the 90s. And then you’ve got the Therrien coached Habs. I mean Roy never had to play behind that kind of trash and when things were going downhill he bolted. Ditto for Brodeur.

I think Price was as good as those other two. But health and teams get in the way. He simply doesn’t have their resume and it’s a coulda-been argument. Fair or not his resume simply doesn’t stack up.

There’s no shame in coming behind those guys though. You’re talking about all time great players. Price was able to take bad teams and turn them into first place clubs. He has multiple playoff upsets, took a terrible team to a final and was the best player on Team Canada when they won gold. From 2014-17 he was among the best players in the league. Injuries f***ed up what would’ve been an even better resume. He’ll deservedly go into the HOF. Should be first ballot. That’s pretty damn amazing considering the teams he was on.

Nobody was as good as Hasek though. The only guy with a better resume on paper would be Ken Dryden. But he played on the best teams ever. Still he led the club in 71 to maybe the biggest upsets ever. He’s vastly underrated.
Price also played during the most competitive era of the NHL - Roy & Brodeur’s eras had nowhere near the same level of parity. The margin between haves & have not teams was enormous… there have been no gimme games after the first 1-2 years of the cap era

Add to it 1-piece rocket launcher sticks and professional NHL athletes who’ve never been as strong, fast or skilled + removal of red line

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Price got 9, 8, and 6 shutouts in three different seasons but otherwise didn't pass 4 in other seasons. My comment was simply from my observation (having seeing 90%+ of Price's games) that he didn't get as many shutouts as I felt he should have.
Over the years.........Price lost a ton of shutouts in the dying minutes of games................it was crazy.
I would be curious the number of games Price played and only let one goal in?? It would be many.

Lol yea i dont think im that old Roy/Hasek/Brodeur was my era and what the dominator did was unbelievable unfortunately for him he played for some pretty bad Sabres team
Price can feel that pain also.......

Reactions: ReHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agree 100% that picture that circulated about Price having played with only one ppg player ( Kovalev ) in hes whole career and it was in hes rookie year says it all

No disrespect to Lundqvist and Lou but personally i have Price as the best goalie of hes era
A healthy Price in his prime was like facing Kofax - unhittable.

The two big injuries that hurt the most? 2014. I think we make the finals that year if he’s healthy.

2016 is also brutal. He was tracking for another Hart. That lost season in the middle of his prime is killer. It does provide him with one side benefit though - we get to see how clearly he was responsible for that team’s success. With him they were a first place club. Without, the were a last place team. Not many players are capable that kind of impact.

Anyways, he’s a HOFer. Just wish we’d had a decent team. If we had we’d have won some cups.

• Love
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I would be curious the number of games Price played and only let one goal in?? It would be many.

He let in only 1 goal in 154 regular season games (he was the starter in 152 of those games).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

The two big injuries that hurt the most? 2014. I think we make the finals that year if he’s healthy.

2016 is also brutal. He was tracking for another Hart. That lost season in the middle of his prime is killer. It does provide him with one side benefit though - we get to see how clearly he was responsible for that team’s success. With him they were a first place club. Without, the were a last place team. Not many players are capable that kind of impact.

Anyways, he’s a HOFer. Just wish we’d had a decent team. If we had we’d have won some cups.

From a business perspective, Bergevin's GMing in the middle of the 15-16 season was essentially handing Price a blank check in silence.

I remember Ott dissing Montreal after a Blues loss earlier that year, scoffing and saying our system was just Carey Price.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022

I like the comparison of Pricer to Koufax. Very astute!!!!

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

Yes i think so also Tokarski played good he actually surprised me to be honnest but i think the team lost hope once Price went down

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes i think so also Tokarski played good he actually surprised me to be honnest but i think the team lost hope once Price went down
Part of what made Price so hard to play against was his puck handling ability. Teams would try dump and chase and it’s come right back out. Price actually helped our offense a fair bit. You only have to look at the with/without scenarios between 15 and 16.

Once Price was out of the series NY would dump it in and hem us into our zone. They took full advantage of it and killed us. Tokarski played admirably in net but that was only half the equation.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Tokarski wasn't good imo. I remember that game where the Habs had a 3 goal lead in game 5. The rangers came back to tie it, and tokarski was rattled. The habs persevered to win that game but it always felt like survival mode with tokarski. You didn't have a sense of comfort with him on a shot by shot basis, and I think that he is what he is, which is a #3ish goalie from an nhl pov.

What doesn't get talked about as much is Montreal's repeated failure to fill the backup slot with a quality option, and it really came back to bite them especially in the seasons where they lost price for virtually entire seasons.

I mentioned tokarski, and then you had Condon who was tasked with carrying the load when price was gone in 2016. He just wasn't capable, and he didn't stick in the league for long. Scrivens was bad. Lingren is a fringe backup at best, as is kinkaid. Niemi was at the end of his line, as were Montoya and auld.

The one exception I can think of is budaj. I know it didn't end well for him, but there was a time where the Habs seemed to win no matter if price or budaj were in net. I suppose Halak was another exception but price was struggling at the time, and still trying to solidify his #1 spot.

But all in all, it's a brutal history of backup goalies, and probably one of the least talked about disasters under the Bergevin regime.

Reactions: the valiant effort

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tokarski wasn't good imo. I remember that game where the Habs had a 3 goal lead in game 5. The rangers came back to tie it, and tokarski was rattled. The habs persevered to win that game but it always felt like survival mode with tokarski. You didn't have a sense of comfort with him on a shot by shot basis, and I think that he is what he is, which is a #3ish goalie from an nhl pov.

What doesn't get talked about as much is Montreal's repeated failure to fill the backup slot with a quality option, and it really came back to bite them especially in the seasons where they lost price for virtually entire seasons.

I mentioned tokarski, and then you had Condon who was tasked with carrying the load when price was gone in 2016. He just wasn't capable, and he didn't stick in the league for long. Scrivens was bad. Lingren is a fringe backup at best, as is kinkaid. Niemi was at the end of his line, as were Montoya and auld.

The one exception I can think of is budaj. I know it didn't end well for him, but there was a time where the Habs seemed to win no matter if price or budaj were in net. I suppose Halak was another exception but price was struggling at the time, and still trying to solidify his #1 spot.

But all in all, it's a brutal history of backup goalies, and probably one of the least talked about disasters under the Bergevin regime.
We used to get pretty badly outplayed with Therrien. It would be murder for a backup to come in and get bombarded like that. The lineup had holes but it was made worse by bad systems. There wasn’t a lot of protection for those guys.

It’s funny because we finally seemed to have a decent group who’d protect the crease at the end. Price’s last regular season he didn’t play well. He had the support but just didn’t look right - until the playoffs came.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We used to get pretty badly outplayed with Therrien. It would be murder for a backup to come in and get bombarded like that. The lineup had holes but it was made worse by bad systems. There wasn’t a lot of protection for those guys.

It’s funny because we finally seemed to have a decent group who’d protect the crease at the end. Price’s last regular season he didn’t play well. He had the support but just didn’t look right - until the playoffs came.

Well, with Condon for instance, it started okay. I mean there was some promise because he was doing fine as a young guy in a backup role, but he quickly got exposed when he had to carry the load. I specifically remember a game early on in that season where the habs badly outplayed the caps, yet Condon couldn't stop a beach ball, and they lost that game.

I think the team lost trust and hope playing infront of Condon, and the team eventually just checked out.

Much of the goalies I listed above did not have much of a future in this league after their run in Montreal aside from Halak and budaj.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Price also played during the most competitive era of the NHL - Roy & Brodeur’s eras had nowhere near the same level of parity. The margin between haves & have not teams was enormous… there have been no gimme games after the first 1-2 years of the cap era

Add to it 1-piece rocket launcher sticks and professional NHL athletes who’ve never been as strong, fast or skilled + removal of red line
Good perspective

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Lmao, good one.
Besides cups, what does Roy have over price IN A HABS JERSEY? Ill balance out the two extra vezina's that he won in a terrible goalie era compared to the years after and Prices generation with Prices Hart. I'm arguing for greatest Habs goalie not greatest goalie who happened to be a hab

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That adjusted save percentage metric was terrible. L post
No that post was spot on.

You said Roy’s numbers as a Hab weren’t good, which means you don’t know what you are talking about. They were awesome without adjusted save %.

Price had 3-4 great years and a bunch of meh ones. 2 years where he was the best in the world. Roy’s time even as a hab was greater, if you remove Roy’s career with Colorado he’s still way ahead of Carey who collected all his personal hardware in one season. It’s not even close.

If Price played in a Lemieux/Gretzky/Messier era he’d also be with without a hart and Lindsay.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
No that post was spot on.

You said Roy’s numbers as a Hab weren’t good, which means you don’t know what you are talking about. They were awesome without adjusted save %.

Price had 3-4 great years and a bunch of meh ones. 2 years where he was the best in the world. Roy’s time even as a hab was greater, if you remove Roy’s career with Colorado he’s still way ahead of Carey who collected all his personal hardware in one season. It’s not even close.

If Price played in a Lemieux/Gretzky/Messier era he’d also be with without a hart and Lindsay.
If you dropped Price into the 80s he would win ten out of ten vezinas. His mechanics are just on a completely different level from everyone who played at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad