Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Seth Jarvis signs extension with the Hurricanes (8 years, $7.420087M AAV; deferred salary in 9th year)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Assuming the contract still has to follow the outlines of current contracts the extreme limit is already known.
I’m struggling to understand what are actually the limits of compensation in non-contract years because until now it was thought to be 0.

If 1 mil salary 9 mil deferred is disallowed. Is 5 mil contract 5 mil deferred allowed? People have cited the ‘not too much up or down between two years of contract’ rule but do we know if that even applies to one year contracts? Obviously this is some ‘new math’ at work here and we can’t assume the existing language applies.

We’re finding out today some magical properties of compensation after contract completion. We can’t assume everything else we thought we knew about contract math is still applicable.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
NHL not hard to
Didn't we just make fun of the MLB and the Ohtani contract for this?
you would think NHL could hire half decent lawyers to figure this out and prevent it. Every cap circumvention was not inventive or hard to avoid just bad working or lack of wording in CBA. Silly

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The more and more of this crap we get, the more and more I hate the salary cap.

When it was a set of rules for valuing players and constraining team building, with a goal for cost certainty and fairness between big and small market teams, it was actually pretty fun. It put GM's in the driver's seats of their team's competitiveness, which is a downside to an actual ice hockey league, but it was fun from a fan perspective for those of us who enjoy team-building.

But the longer it goes on, the more it becomes about having teams of lawyers pouring over the CBA to find and exploit loopholes until the NHL decides to pounce, the less fun it is. I like the NHL because I want to watch hockey teams, not GM's having a scheme-off like it's Spy vs Spy.

Close the freaking loopholes and enforce the spirit of the cap, not just the law. Having a Byzantine tax code of a salary cap is no fun for fans because we cannot follow it, doesn't even deliver the cost certainty that is the fundamental premise of the salary cap from the owner's perspective, and is ultimately unfair because the NHL will always be subjective in who they punish for transgressions.

The Tanev contract is bogus. Mark Stone going on LTIR every year until the playoffs is bogus. These deferred payments are bogus. End them. But instead the league is just going to shrug and then have a lockout in five years when they realize these deferred payments have completely screwed up the Hockey Related Revenue calculations for the salary cap and that it led to an immediate inflation of contracts.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's

I think this is going to open a massive can of worms, and will eventually be taken out of the next CBA.

Didn't Jonathan Marchessault say Vegas' final offer was something like this? I thought he mentioned them doing a "weird, unique" offer to him before he hit FA.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
McKenzie : “there’s a present-day dollars calculation that is done on the deferred money and that is where, under the right set of circumstances, it could have an influence on the AAV.“

I really would love to see the math on this. Because it’s all taking place behind the curtain the fans are left not knowing the potential level of abuse this opens the door to.

I don’t care that much about the Canes saving a few hundred grand on this contract’s cap hit. I do care if this is just the tip of the iceberg that allows deep pocketed teams to make huge off cap bonus payments to free agents. And we clearly don’t know the limits yet.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
1725113974364.jpeg

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I typically really enjoy Carolina’s social media team—but the celebration and memes they are posting around this contract extension feel a bit tone deaf considering what the hockey world is going through. Surely they could’ve held off on this news for a week?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Am I reading the CBA completely incorrectly, or is Servalli a moron?

For these purposes, "Deferred Bonuses" means any Bonuses that are earned during the term of an SPC during which the services attributable to those Bonuses are performed, but are not paid until after the expiration of such SPC. By definition, Deferred Bonuses that are earned during the term of an SPC may not be paid until after the expiration of such SPC. For purposes of calculating a Club's Upper Limit and Lower Limit, as well as the Players' Share, Deferred Bonuses shall be counted as Bonuses in the League Year in which the Player performs the services for which they are earned, at their present value at 1-Year LIBOR plus one and one quarter (1.25) percent of the Deferred Bonuses (unless the Deferred Bonuses are to be paid with interest, in which case they shall be counted in the League Year in which the Player performs the services for which they can be earned, at the stated cash amount of the Deferred Bonuses). Bonuses denominated as "Deferred" but payable within the term of the SPC shall not be permitted.

This is the same as baseball. The cap hit is decreased (according to a known formula) because the payment is earned later and therefore less valuable to the player earning it than money put in their account today is. This is finance 101. It's also not circumvention, because the player is agreeing to take a less valuable deal, so of course the value of the contract should be lower.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I never understood why the Devils were punished if the league approved the contract. And if they had a problem with it they shouldn't have approved it. So in either case cap circumventing is not possible.
The Devils were punished for the first attempt at a contract, the 17 year one. They approved the 15 year one, which was still blatant and obvious circumvention but less blatant and obvious- it was only marginally shorter, but it was also a lot less frontloaded. The 17 year one maximized the money up front and was a million a year for half of the entire contract.

The league shouldn't have approved the 15 year one either, but that's not the one the Devils were "punished" (in reality, they never actually had to give up the pick, so they weren't punished at all) for.

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
all signs keep pointing to raymonds contract being higher than originally anticipated as hes imo worth more than jarvis . yzerman would thusly seem to need a trade for cap space . does the sjs walman for future considerations trade end up being sjs taking a cap hit such as holl or maybe husso from detroit ? i know everybody says futures never mean anything , but to me its the only way the walman plus a 2nd to sjs makes sense . could be waiting on husso proving to be healthy in camp

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I expect the league will rule deferred payments still need to meet the rules about how large the variance can be from year to year in contracts, making these huge hypothetical deferrals illegal.

I also expect a change in the CBA to make that deferred payment count against the year 9 cap. I can’t see the league continuing to allow compensation outside the cap. They will find a way to capture it on a teams payroll.

Still a smart move by Carolina to gain some space over the next 8 years at the expense of a potential year 9 cap hit with a rule change.

Bond

May 10, 2012
McKenzie : “there’s a present-day dollars calculation that is done on the deferred money and that is where, under the right set of circumstances, it could have an influence on the AAV.“

I really would love to see the math on this. Because it’s all taking place behind the curtain the fans are left not knowing the potential level of abuse this opens the door to.

I don’t care that much about the Canes saving a few hundred grand on this contract’s cap hit. I do care if this is just the tip of the iceberg that allows deep pocketed teams to make huge off cap bonus payments to free agents. And we clearly don’t know the limits yet.
It’s just going to be math around the NPV of money etc. It really can only be mega abused if the signing bonus doesn’t have to follow current contract structures in the CBA.

From my quick read the contract has to follow those rules and the savings comes from the fact the signing bonus is paid the day after the contract expires. If that’s the case then the max is already defined. Big contracts will get a bigger benefit so that could be an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad