Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Seth Jarvis signs extension with the Hurricanes (8 years, $7.420087M AAV; deferred salary in 9th year)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
Had no idea you could defer money and it’s insane the the richer teams never use it.
Really depends on how much the signing bonus is at the end but it would have to be hefty to make it interesting for the player due to time value. Not sure how this would work for if he got bought out as well

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Players wanting their money
Teams would happily offer players more money in exchange for lower cap hit and the player would be a fool to refuse.

If a player has a market value of 7 mil, but a team can offer him 1 mil salary + 10 mil deferred cap free signing bonus, the player would be a fool to resist because he wants (less) money now. He’d take the 11 even with most of it one year late, over the 7.

This would give the deep pocketed teams a huge advantage.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
This is absolutely ridiculous, and it seems absurd that every cash-rich team isn't doing this for all of their big name stars. What's the CBA-defined limit to "year 9" compensation that's mysteriously not counting against the cap? Seravalli suggests deferring over $33M over a 40 year period, which says to me that there's effectively no limit whatsoever to the deferred money terms. Can we magically offer Drai $100M in deferred money, getting his cap hit arbitrarily low? With enough money being offered, there's not really a limit to how valuable an offer an owner can make to a player.

This seems to completely circumvent the cap. Am I missing something?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Teams would happily offer players more money in exchange for lower cap hit and the player would be a fool to refuse.

If a player has a market value of 7 mil, but a team can offer him 1 mil salary + 10 mil deferred cap free signing bonus, the player would be a fool to resist because he wants (less) money now. He’d take the 11 even with most of it one year late, over the 7.
I don’t think an extreme contract like that would be allowed though. The cap hit doesn’t hit in the 9th year but the contract would have to follow current standards.
It’s probably more like a guy is worth 5maav and he is taking a big signing bonus that will get his hit down to 4.5 or something.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If you make the deferred salaries too large, then you really get into true cap circumvention territory. I like that the Jarvis and Slavin contracts only have a sliver of it so that the difference in cap hit is only a few hundreds of a thousand per year. The NHL will eventually need to regulate how large the deferrals can be so that the Rangers can't sign Panarin to, say, a $5M AAV extension with $100M in deferred payments, or something like that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah not seeing what would keep a guy like McDavid from say doing a 5 million dollar one year deal with 20 million in deferred money. I mean I guess there is less safety, but then a deal like that is also buyout proof.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
If you make the deferred salaries too large, then you really get into true cap circumvention territory. I like that the Jarvis and Slavin contracts only have a sliver of it so that the difference in cap hit is only a few hundreds of a thousand per year. The NHL will eventually need to regulate how large the deferrals can be so that the Rangers can't sign Panarin to, say, a $5M AAV extension with $100M in deferred payments, or something like that.
So it’s the Kovalchuk situation all over again. The league allows teams to inch a loophole more and more with each succeeding contract until one day they feel they have to say “this one went too far” and crack down on that team?

Bond

May 10, 2012
So it’s the Kovalchuk situation all over again. The league allows teams to inch a loophole more and more with each succeeding contract until one day they feel they have to say “this one went too far” and crack down on that team?
Assuming the contract still has to follow the outlines of current contracts the extreme limit is already known.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Not even a question of bylaws, but basic math terminology - AVERAGE annual value is, by definition, the average - total compensation divided by years of contract. If it’s a 63.2m contract that spans 8 years, by definition it has an aav of 7.9. If there’s compensation outside the bounds of the contracted period (like a ninth year) then it’s pure circumvention.

If the Devils were stripped of a pick for a legal contract at the time for cap circumvention, I can’t wait to see the punishment for this.

What would stop teams from extrapolating this to a one year contract? “Oh he’s only signed for 1 mil salary, but he has an 8 mil bonus next summer that’s cap free!”
I never understood why the Devils were punished if the league never approved the contract. And if they had a problem with it they shouldn't have approved it. So in either case cap circumventing is not possible.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah so this basically comes down to it being legal circumvention until some day a team gets to bold with to high end of a player and the league says "nope, not anymore" and takes draft picks lol good on the Canes though.

I think it's an easy thing to regulate in the next CBA. Just limit how large the salary deferrals can be in a given contract in terms of percentage of the money in the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad