Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
What is this thread?

I came to ask how Dubois is doing. 5 points in 6 games doesn’t seem too bad. Am I in the right place?
Yay, hockey talk!
Yes, PLD has good numbers and the eye test says he is earning them. Grinding every shift, big skills, playing the catalyst in small ways that don’t show up on the score sheet.

Reactions: TS Quint

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
What is this thread?

I came to ask how Dubois is doing. 5 points in 6 games doesn’t seem too bad. Am I in the right place?
The biggest surprise to me has been that the Caps are using his line in a "power vs power" role. I was expecting his line to need to be sheltered, but it's been the opposite. They're not getting the insane deployments of the Dowd line, but his line is being sent out primarily against other teams' top lines and they're more than holding their own. If he ends up being a ~60 point center while handling that role he'll be worth his contract and that trade will be a massive win for the Caps.

He's also got more snarl to his game than I expected. Maybe too much - it's leading to some penalties. Considering he came in with a rep for being disengaged though this feels like a good problem to have.

Overall I'd say his impact is better than his boxcar stats suggest, and his boxcars aren't bad on their own.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The biggest surprise to me has been that the Caps are using his line in a "power vs power" role. I was expecting his line to need to be sheltered, but it's been the opposite. They're not getting the insane deployments of the Dowd line, but his line is being sent out primarily against other teams' top lines and they're more than holding their own. If he ends up being a ~60 point center while handling that role he'll be worth his contract and that trade will be a massive win for the Caps.

He's also got more snarl to his game than I expected. Maybe too much - it's leading to some penalties. Considering he came in with a rep for being disengaged though this feels like a good problem to have.

Overall I'd say his impact is better than his boxcar stats suggest, and his boxcars aren't bad on their own.
PLD actually leads us in PIM’s which i was surprised to see, but I’m ok with that.

As you noted, PLD line (with McMichael and Wilson) is getting top line minutes. More than OV’s first line for sure. It’s been our best line.

to me, what i have noticed most about PLD is his ability to carry the puck in the zone and use his body to keep control of the puck. I think that is leading to a lot of the success of that line. And then they are all strong bodies so it is a tough line to play against. Chemistry is strong!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
PLD actually leads us in PIM’s which i was surprised to see, but I’m ok with that.

As you noted, PLD line (with McMichael and Wilson) is getting top line minutes. More than OV’s first line for sure. It’s been our best line.

to me, what i have noticed most about PLD is his ability to carry the puck in the zone and use his body to keep control of the puck. I think that is leading to a lot of the success of that line. And then they are all strong bodies so it is a tough line to play against. Chemistry is strong!

PLD is 7th in minor penalties since the start of last season so the dumb penalties have always been there.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I mostly watched Dubois in Winnipeg. The penalties shouldn’t be a surprise. When he was at his best with the Jets he was a MFer out there. He wasn’t taking little hooking and tripping penalties, more the roughing and cross checking, taking another guy with him to the box, which I’ll take on my team anytime.

I don’t know what happened to him in LA but there is some good potential for him to really make the Kings look bad trading him so quick. Hope to see him do well.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I really like what PLD brings. He still has headroom though, but i think he will continue to grow into this team and room across the year and hopefully give us 6-7M of value. He is set up for failure at 8.5M. But if he can continue to be a quality top 6 buy i am fine with his contract as part of the other moves (like getting rid of Keumper).

Reactions: TS Quint

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Ideally PLD would be on the books at Mantha's old cap number as that's closer to his true "worth" but he's a value-add player who seems to be working with our current mix and the cap % will go down over time so I'm okay with it

Reactions: DWGie26

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Ideally PLD would be on the books at Mantha's old cap number as that's closer to his true "worth" but he's a value-add player who seems to be working with our current mix and the cap % will go down over time so I'm okay with it
Strome’s deal as our other top C helps offset it too. Not to mention we’re getting amazing value from Chuck and LT.

Really it’s just this contract and Sandin’s that are questionable right now (tho I could be blanking on someone).

Jun 15, 2007
Strome’s deal as our other top C helps offset it too. Not to mention we’re getting amazing value from Chuck and LT.

Really it’s just this contract and Sandin’s that are questionable right now (tho I could be blanking on someone).
Yeah…ovechkin is not exactly providing 9.5m of value.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Yeah…ovechkin is not exactly providing 9.5m of value.
I think the Ovi contract (and Backstrom) gets a bit of a pass because what were they going to do, not re-sign Ovi?

Sandin is the only real bad one for me. PLD and Wilson are both making like 20% more than they should and have back-breaking potential but also have the talent to somewhat live up to the deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad