Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
It's been 3 games. I agree he's looked really good, but let's pump the brakes just a bit.
Pfft…where’s the fun in that? I’m chugging raw milk and scarfing down a pig’s gall bladder! Let’s go full Chychrun, baby!

But yea, sure - the guy has been injury prone and a flake on some questionable teams. Let’s hope he can stay healthy, and find some stability in a locker room that knows how to win.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
The Caps taking players in the draft whose biggest negative is skating feels like it makes more sense seeing how fast Protas has looked sometimes to start this season. They must feel like they can really work on skating.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The passing seems ridiculously better than last season. So many quick and accurate passes, including short passes in tight and through congestion, and players are actually receiving the passes instead of the puck exploding off their stick (including Ovi). Plus waaay fewer hope passes that end up directly on the other team's sticks.

Playing with PACE! (If not necessarily "speed." But even with that said, Ovi's skating looks better than last year, Wilson can fly again, and several other players--including Protas, as mentioned--looked improved to my untrained eye. At one point I even thought Sandin looked silky smooth on his skates.)

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Probably stop here soon.
Some of it seems to just be early season not wanting your backup goalie to sit too long. Tampa (3 GP due to the hurricane.. hope everyone down there is recovering okay) and Winnipeg (4 GP) are the only teams who have used one goalie so far this year. Three teams (DET, OTT & LAK) have already used 3.

If the Caps continue to be a high(ish) scoring team (currently 14th with 3.33 GF/G), they will not see as many backups this year.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I hope we can extend Chychrun. I wonder what kinda contract we’d be looking at.

It’s so nice having a real 1LD again, and he seems to work really well with Carlson already. At only 26, he could be our next #1D after Carlson hangs em up.
I think he gets 8 x 8 right now. The sooner we get it done, the better because he is absolutely a perfect fit and has been incredible. The longer we go, the greater chance he will price himself out IMO.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think he gets 8 x 8 right now. The sooner we get it done, the better because he is absolutely a perfect fit and has been incredible. The longer we go, the greater chance he will price himself out IMO.
I don’t think it gets much higher than 8x8. And sometimes players just find their place… system they succeed in. Room they grow in. Culture. So I’m waiting to (a) see if it continues over a stretch, (b) no IR type injuries, and Chychrun getting deeper into Caps culture. Then it may actually be less because player wants to stay here. I love what i see so i hope it continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad