Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
No word on if he's around for a training camp, i'd hope he was but seems unlikely now. Shame, really. I don't think he's far away from full-time AHL role so would have liked extended look.
I think it is fine. He has been in that org for 5 years. Get a full year on top team with some consistency. But i hope it is one full year and then Hershey. He will only be 19 but has a good frame and he’ll need a couple of years in North America (Hershey) before NHL.

43sfriends

Dec 2, 2018
Even taking everything in the interview at face value -- which I'm not I'm willing to do -- just incredibly stupid and selfish of him that he was that hurt and yet was still playing and not telling the team about it.

Hope he gets healthy and will always thank him for 2018 but his play and behavior is probably the single biggest reason they haven't won a series since.

Not rehiring Trotz.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You mean the guy that was a deadman walking into the playoffs? The guy who should have been fired the year or two before?

Yes, I get they wont he cup but Trotz was past his due date with this team, and no lightning in a bottle heaping of luck changes that.
Trotz was lucky he even got to coach the 2017-18 season, and then further that he didn’t get canned during it. Always interesting to me watching revisionist history take place.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Trotz had a very short shelf life left with that core/roster. I’d bet heavily that knowing that, Leonsis and Co knew they would probably be stuck firing him and eating the balance of his new deal, so they honored their original contractual obligation to him and offered him the raise/term previously agreed upon. That alone was a standup move, but they also probably knew Barry was refusing it.

Neither side truly wanted him to be here after the Cup, but it’s past time to stop blaming only the Caps……Barry walked away, which is perfectly fine, but the ultimate choice was his.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Not rehiring Trotz.
Not going to get into the Trotz debates as others have already covered pretty much everything about this take.

No amount of good or bad coaching though can make up for the fact that you can't have your $8M 1C all of the sudden become one of the worst players in the league. His behavior -- whether it was attitude, not getting the right treatment for health problems, or some combination of the two -- is pretty inexcusable and put the team in an almost insurmountable hole.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Honouring a contractual agreement is a “stand up move”?

Guess I don’t see it that way. Isn’t one *supposed* to honour an agreement?
I guess without knowing which way you're leaning on this...

An agreement is a 2 way street, they probably don't deserve any credit for standing by the extension kicker but would that mean Trotz deserves some condemnation for not abiding by the contractual agreement?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I guess without knowing which way you're leaning on this...

An agreement is a 2 way street, they probably don't deserve any credit for standing by the extension kicker but would that mean Trotz deserves some condemnation for not abiding by the contractual agreement?
My point is, I’m not giving the Caps any credit for “allowing” the contract to continue at the new terms. They should have. At worst.

I’m not a Trotzaholic — I enjoyed his time, 100%, and understood the departure — but I don’t the Caps deserve any “attaboys/girls” for honouring their side.

I don’t know about Trotz. If he “broke” the contract (which was widely reported, that he did and the Caps allowed him to), then no one should be wasting tears on him. He was complicit.

I simply don’t see anyone to praise for all of that. Caps did their duty, Trotz did his, and it didn’t work out. No side was good or bad here. They both paid for it

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honouring a contractual agreement is a “stand up move”?

Guess I don’t see it that way. Isn’t one *supposed* to honour an agreement?

Well gee golly Mr SF, yes honoring your obligations is a stand up move in the sports world we watch daily. The opposite happens quite a lot in sports today, but you know this. Anything substantive to add to the debate peanut gallery?

Both sides made a business decision but only one walked away. Blame doesn’t even matter. I would have preferred a different replacement in hindsight, but not resigning Barry to the deal the Islanders did was absolutely the right call for the Caps IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: qc14

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I can't even believe you folks are discussing Trotz again. Come on it's been six years!!

There must be better things to talk about. Like what mead or exotic beverage Twabby is drinking tonight. Anything, please anything but Trotz :laugh:

43sfriends

Dec 2, 2018
You guys are in denial about Trotz.

It's a lot easier to forgive his shortcomings in the years prior to the Cup than it is to forgive Kuzy for his play since, yet most of you are willing to do the latter.

You just don't let a Cup winning coach walk, period. It felt weird at the time, other fanbases objectively ridiculed it, and it also aged terribly. No revisionist history whatsoever.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well gee golly Mr SF, yes honoring your obligations is a stand up move in the sports world we watch daily. The opposite happens quite a lot in sports today, but you know this. Anything substantive to add to the debate peanut gallery?

Both sides made a business decision but only one walked away. Blame doesn’t even matter. I would have preferred a different replacement in hindsight, but not resigning Barry to the deal the Islanders did was absolutely the right call for the Caps IMO.
Meow! Put away the claws!

If you want to give them credit for honouring a contract, then kudos to you, I guess? I don’t know of any teams in the NHL (we are talking hockey, yes?) that don’t honour contracts. Sure, a few have done whatever they can to find “cause” to terminate a contract, but that’s rare air dude.

Anyway, its no skin off my butt if you feel otherwise…..it’s a message board!

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You guys are in denial about Trotz.

It's a lot easier to forgive his shortcomings in the years prior to the Cup than it is to forgive Kuzy for his play since, yet most of you are willing to do the latter.

You just don't let a Cup winning coach walk, period. It felt weird at the time, other fanbases objectively ridiculed it, and it also aged terribly. No revisionist history whatsoever.
For the love of god if you want to go down memory lane about Barry Trotz, please do so using the search function. There’s plenty of posts from every summer regarding this topic. Beating that dead horse any further will put it through the Earth’s core and straight into China.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What is @twabby drinking tonite?? Asking for a friend

Playing bar trivia tonight so just having a tripel they have on tap.

I have an oaked meadowfoam traditional aging in the carboy right now. Bought about $100 worth of honey for a 6 gallon batch. Planning on splitting it into two batches: one on the sweeter side and one on the drier side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I've never been a mixed drink or spirit guy. I respect the craft of mixing, just not my thing. Hope you're having a good afternoon/evening Rids.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad