Jonathan Toews comeback not happening?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Just checked out his instagram and the only things he posted this summer are him surfing and at burning man. Sounds like a retired guy. It would be cool to see him join a team as a bottom 6 guy, maybe revitalize his career in a way like Corey Perry.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Oh God. The endless underrating of Toews is one of the biggest memes on this site.

"DAE top 100 but where was Malkin???!!"

Toews was a good litmus test for your level of understanding of the sport and of the responsibilities of a center specifically.

For like a decade he was literally everything you could want in a top line center and was a big part of the reason his teams won those 3 cups. He would absolutely tilt the ice against just about any line in the league, but he didn't put up 200 points so he was 'suxor'.

He was every bit as good, and peaked higher, than Patrice Bergeron who is viewed as a saint around here. But his longevity obviously hasn't been as good.
800 career points and possibly retiring.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Apparently riding a bike, enduring the heat, dancing, and the dusty air is not a problem for long covid.

Yeah that should put an end to this wanker playing again.

Oh God. The endless underrating of Toews is one of the biggest memes on this site.

"DAE top 100 but where was Malkin???!!"

Toews was a good litmus test for your level of understanding of the sport and of the responsibilities of a center specifically.

For like a decade he was literally everything you could want in a top line center and was a big part of the reason his teams won those 3 cups. He would absolutely tilt the ice against just about any line in the league, but he didn't put up 200 points so he was 'suxor'.

He was every bit as good, and peaked higher, than Patrice Bergeron who is viewed as a saint around here. But his longevity obviously hasn't been as good.
Underrating the mere fact he was listed above Malkin and this thread even existing shows he wasn't underrated here or anywhere, overrated though? You bet your ass.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I really didn't wanna come in this thread to shit on him, but I agree with this.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's probably a hall of famer if I had to say (and he will be, no matter if we think he is or not), but for much of his career he was treated as a borderline generational player. It was no doubt because of the fact that he won 3 cups, all in his 20s, with the first coming when he was like 22. And he was the captain for all of those teams. I think he may have even been the youngest captain of a cup team ever in 2010? And he was the youngest skater to ever win the Conn Smythe? Roy and Ward won it younger than him as goalies, but I'm not sure if there was a younger non-goalie Conn Smythe winner than 2010 Toews, who had just turned 22.
Not sure who is the youngest ever captain to win, probably Crosby, but haven’t dug to figure that out but I do know he was younger than Toews when he one just the year before Toews did….only younger by a matter of months though.

In terms of being overrated or not, that all comes down to the general rating of the player and what you may think. I certainly think he was overrated for a period of time, but mainly because he was rated close to the #1 player in the world and he has simply never been that good. Great player though

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure who is the youngest ever captain to win, probably Crosby, but haven’t dug to figure that out but I do know he was younger than Toews when he one just the year before Toews did….only younger by a matter of months though.

In terms of being overrated or not, that all comes down to the general rating of the player and what you may think. I certainly think he was overrated for a period of time, but mainly because he was rated close to the #1 player in the world and he has simply never been that good. Great player though
Ah, you’re right on Crosby. I had to look up when he was named captain. I wasn’t sure if he already was by the 2009 cup or not. Apparently it’s been since 2007.

I think what I was thinking of was youngest Conn Smythe winner who wasn’t a goalie. I think that is right. Only Roy was younger.

They have Toews as second youngest, but it was really close to Bobby Orr. Back when he won the Conn Smythe in 1970 the cup was awarded in early May, rather than early June when Toews won it in 2010. Orr’s birthday is March 20th, Toews birthday is April 29th. So he was younger than Orr by just a matter of days.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Apparently riding a bike, enduring the heat, dancing, and the dusty air is not a problem for long covid.

Yeah that should put an end to this wanker playing again.

Underrating the mere fact he was listed above Malkin and this thread even existing shows he wasn't underrated here or anywhere, overrated though? You bet your ass.

Are you really equating doing those things with playing 82 NHL games in the top league on the planet?

He isn't dying of cancer, but he clearly has some health issues that are limiting his ability to compete at the absolute top level.

And I say this as someone who does think Toews was overrated.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's currently keeping quiet and enjoying his life. The guy was dedicated to hockey and needed to just get his mind in the real world as it was fully set in the hockey world since he was a kid.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Are you really equating doing those things with playing 82 NHL games in the top league on the planet?

He isn't dying of cancer, but he clearly has some health issues that are limiting his ability to compete at the absolute top level.

And I say this as someone who does think Toews was overrated.
Toews does like to have convenient memory loss so we'll never know the truth.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Good for him to just enjoy life but I have to say, one of the most overrated players

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
For a second I thought he had actually gone missing.

Could be a useful vet in a bottom 6 roll for any team if he's recovered from those injuries he had.
It’s not injuries holding him back. The guy is screwed up with an autoimmune disease. I have one, too, and it’s an awful existence. When you’re chronically ill it’s not living it’s purely existing in hell. I can’t even play pick-up hockey anymore. This dude would trade all his dollars and his cups to feel like his old, healthy self I guarantee it.

Reactions: G0AT

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Didn’t he have long Covid? Pretty tough to do anything if it’s still bothering him.
This. It’s obvious how little people understand autoimmune disease. I have one and it’s taken all enjoyment of life from me. He can’t play because it will wreck his health and he could become fully disabled. Our health industry knows Jack about these conditions and once you have one you’re basically screwed and any little thing can cause you to have a major setback and feeling unwell as hell.

Reactions: G0AT

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
He's in Winnipeg (or at least was 2 days ago) according to the Instagram of a local Chevy dealer where he bought a new truck. Looks like he's in good shape too.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad