Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
"Hey, this will be a cool place for you to be in maybe 2 or 3 years," isn't the best pitch in the world for a guy that'll have lots of options on the open market.
There could be other perks to the gig, though. He's already on the record as liking Scotty Allen from their time together in Arizona. Who knows how long Love is in place as the D coach but he could like the stability he finds in his role and a more highly competitive environment generally. Or not. We'll see how it goes.

He could certainly vie for the top UFA defenseman next summer between Theodore and Ekblad. He's that good if he puts it all together. But also kind of quirky and at 26 still probably not quite rounded out as a person and all-around defenseman yet. If the Caps look to lock him up it probably won't just be about the raw tools or perhaps even the production as the signs shown toward becoming a more fully realized competitor. If the fit is good and working for both sides then despite a somewhat iffy PP role it may still be in both sides best interest to commit.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov has nothing to do with failure. It was A+ business. Negotiations are a two-way street and sometimes there just isn't a middle-ground that suits both parties. That was the case with Orlov.

That Orlov 6-year contract he asked would have looked brutal in hindsight since he's already regressing, didn't get the contract he wanted from team he was traded to (Bruins) and he only got 2 years from Canes.

Failure meaning they wanted to keep him. The point being the Caps usually keep guys they spend to acquire, who work out well. JC6 isn’t getting traded if he plays well IMO and the Caps are in a playoff spot.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
There could be other perks to the gig, though. He's already on the record as liking Scotty Allen from their time together in Arizona. Who knows how long Love is in place as the D coach but he could like the stability he finds in his role and a more highly competitive environment generally. Or not. We'll see how it goes.

I don't disagree. It could go that way, but probably not just for those reasons. "Sure, I'm getting paid $2 million less a year, but I get to hang out with Scotty," is probably not a thing he'll ever say. Paying him #1 money when he figures to be our #2 at best while John's around, on top of playing an LD spot that's boxed out on PP1... All I'm saying is that this doesn't figure to be the place he finds to be a perfect fit if his plan is to be (and get paid like) the #1 guy.

If he earns it and has the humility to be and get paid like a #2, sure, he could be very happy here.

JC6 isn’t getting traded if he plays well IMO and the Caps are in a playoff spot.

This 100% depends on how contract talks go. If he makes it pretty clear he doesn't want to be here or wants to test the market, we'll absolutely trade him. Unless we're somehow very real contenders, he could have his best season ever and we'd still be nuts not to take the 1st+ we might get for him as a rental.

I absolutely agree that Mac has a track record of only making these kinds of deals when it turns out he had a real chance of extending the guy, and I hope that's the case here. Maybe playing in Ottawa scared him enough to not hit on 18 (that's a blackjack analogy, not dating advice) and stay with a solid organization.

It just feels less likely to me than the windfall he's in for in free agency if he plays well. Or maybe we're willing to give him #1 money and just eat it until John and Ovi retire...

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If we suck and Chychrun wants to test FA. It would be hard not to trade. We could get a big offer if we retain on his cap hit.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If things are going great, I doubt he’s going to flat out say to the Caps “nope, forget negotiating” (thereby “forcing” their hands on a deadline trade) ……..he’ll want to be here. He’ll want to see a playoff run here IMO.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Also, if Chychrun has a good season (and Caps play well), then he is going to want to stay here. That could lead to a friendlier deal to stay. Players are not always going for the most money. They want a good fit, culture, and be fairly paid. Just like us when we look for a new job.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
I still think the most direct comp for Chychrun is Hanifin. Hanifin was 27yo and signed an extension with a team he was traded to instead of testing UFA. His three years before signing he had 133 points in 242 games and averaged 22:31 a night. Vegas has treated him like a strong 2D where he was playing the second most minutes of their defenders but for the most part was on his own pair with Hague away from Peitrangelo and Theodore.

Chychrun over the past three years is at 95 in 177 (a ppg of .53 slightly behind Hanifins .55ppg) and an almost identical 22:38 ATOI. The games played and his inability to stay completely healthy is fairly significant for me going forward, and IMO basically nullifies the fact that Chychrun will hit UFA a year earlier than Hanifin. OTT's defense was a mess last year and Chychrun never had a consistent partner or a real defined role, something that should be better but not clearly fixed in WSH.

If the TOI, points, and role stay the same as they have the past couple of years there's your extension -- 8x$7.35M. You can probably give a $0.5M buffer on either side for whatever reasons. Maybe he loves DC and Carbery and is willing to take a bit less, maybe Ekblad and Theodore sign extensions early and he's the only good UFA and his market heats up.

To really break above that to me, he's going to have to demonstrate he can be a legit 1D and given how our defense is currently constructed I see very little room for him to get that opportunity. Carlson will (rightfully) get PP1 time over him and unless they put him on the right halfwall as a lefty shooter I don't see a path to huge powerplay minutes that would boost his point totals. With the Roy signing too they now have enough depth where they won't need to load him and Carlson on a top pair that plays 25 minutes a night. I think it would take an injury to Carlson or Chychrun really finding a new level as the clear driver of an elite second pair with Roy.

If he does that and all of the sudden can get $8M+, that's a good problem to have! If he plays at around the same level as he has the past couple of years, I see a clear path to a reasonable extension with some extremely clear recent comps. If he's worse, you can wait and see how the market plays out. If for whatever reason he walks at the end of the year it's not like you gave up anything to get him anyways.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1722507362823.png

I get it, but I wonder how often some guys just want to get off the ice and get to that fridge.

/full60min

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
But he has the NHL logo in his twitter handle.. how could he not be legitimate?

In all seriousness, I just don't see the fit after acquiring PLD. The top 9 is pretty set with Mirosnichenko/Leonard waiting in the wings for next season.
Montreal has picked 5th the last 2 years, their fans were literally crying tear of joy with their last pick, the idea they’d trade a 1st+ for 2 years of Laine at 8.7 completely discredits the guy more than the Caps kicking the tires but then it’s fruit from poisoned tree

Reactions: Calicaps and Kazer

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

View attachment 898508

I get it, but I wonder how often some guys just want to get off the ice and get to that fridge.

/full60min
I’d be lying if I said I’ve never seen beers on my bench next to the water bottles before

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I'd take Laine, but only at 50% and for the cost of a 5th or something meaningless like that.

No way Columbus gets a 1st for him unless the other GM is a complete moron or dumps a worse contract in the process. They'll be lucky to get a 2nd until he proves that he's a top scoring winner again.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'd take Laine, but only at 50% and for the cost of a 5th or something meaningless like that.

No way Columbus gets a 1st for him unless the other GM is a complete moron or dumps a worse contract in the process. They'll be lucky to get a 2nd until he proves that he's a top scoring winner again.
No chance in HELL the Habs give up their first for him. LOL. They could be easily a top 10 worst team. Easily (as could we, mind you).

You don’t give up a top 10 pick — EVER — for 2yrs of a declining 8.7m player. Oh and the guy had to “check out” of the team for a spell due to “issues” (whatever that was).

Hey, I am all for 2nd chances (and even 3rd’s!!), but you don’t PAY to give someone a 2nd chance. Usually THEY PAY YOU! LOL

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
No chance in HELL the Habs give up their first for him. LOL. They could be easily a top 10 worst team. Easily (as could we, mind you).

You don’t give up a top 10 pick — EVER — for 2yrs of a declining 8.7m player. Oh and the guy had to “check out” of the team for a spell due to “issues” (whatever that was).

Hey, I am all for 2nd chances (and even 3rd’s!!), but you don’t PAY to give someone a 2nd chance. Usually THEY PAY YOU! LOL
Laine's issues seem to revolve around not being able to handle pressure or the criticism that comes with under-performing.

The talent is there but tapping into it is risky. Even at 50 percent retention, a team needs to cough up 4.35 mill for the next couple of years. If he got 25 goals and 50 points it's probably worth it, but he could just as easily play 20 games and be back on mental health watch and sidelined.

Players like him are a big red flag. And we already have PLD as a reclamation project

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Laine's issues seem to revolve around not being able to handle pressure or the criticism that comes with under-performing.

The talent is there but tapping into it is risky. Even at 50 percent retention, a team needs to cough up 4.35 mill for the next couple of years. If he got 25 goals and 50 points it's probably worth it, but he could just as easily play 20 games and be back on mental health watch and sidelined.

Players like him are a big red flag. And we already have PLD as a reclamation project
I think based on what we learned this year that if Laine goes back into player assistance the team would get cap relief since it's not his first time in the program.

It's still a risk given assets, but it's not something that would come with a significant downside if he goes that way again short of whatever distraction it may or may not create.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd be totally fine with Laine at half price for a non 1st rounder. It fits under the cap with 77 on LTIR. It's only two years, it has boom potential and you could trade him in a year and a half at the deadline to somebody looking for a hired gun on the cheap if he wants big bucks to resign.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Europeans drank beers like we drink soda in america. At least that's what I saw in my first trips to Europe 25 years ago.. Sitting outside during lunch at Radhausplatsen in Copenhagen everyone had a lite beer with their lunch. I didn't see a soda anywhere. Stuck with me for some reason - one of many differences I saw vs the US but I am sure some can argue one beer is a healthier drink than our delicious toxic heavily iced sodas.

I am glad Ovi is not hiding his beers. Marathon runners drink beers afterwards.
1722727089073.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: twabby

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Doesn't make it good for you, especially as you get older and want to perform at a high level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad