Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They simply need to upgrade the D group. The forwards are fine, IMO. As at the G’s.

Just upgrade a D starter or 2.
The forwards are fine enough to compete for the playoffs but not true contender worthy unless PLD blossoms and other young guys take significant and perhaps unexpected steps forward. I think they’ve done well to improve but there’s still a lack of high-end talent. They also have to rebuild the 4th line almost entirely. This is not me being a pessimist or being down on what they’ve done, just the reality of the situation as they bridge the gap from between generations.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
IMG_8441.png

McVechkin

Sponsor
Jun 29, 2015
They simply need to upgrade the D group. The forwards are fine, IMO. As at the G’s.

Just upgrade a D starter or 2.
I have a hard time being ok with their goaltending situation. Love chucky, but not sure he’s true #1 long term. I’d be quite scared of a regression from him. Hope I’m wrong.. very easy to root for.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
meh... not a terrible option but the PK and role difficulty aren't really what the Caps need.
So many of our d roles are filled by old guys who will further decline or be gone soon. I’m fine with bringing in any young dman if they’re good.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It doesn't seem to be brought up, but I've decided my head canon is that the Canes trading for Kuznetsov is the reason they lost Guentzel and it makes me laugh that they couldn't pay him for that reason.
They also decided to pay 7.75 million for Orlov and 4.8 million for Kotkaniemi.

They’ve made some real bad moves in their contending window. It’s been fun to watch them blow it.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Whats wrong with Nate Schmidt? After he is bought out it would be a buy low move that GMBM has been looking for.
He could be a stop gap for the long term fill in and be flipped again depending if we waiver claim or sign UFA after buyout

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I have a hard time being ok with their goaltending situation. Love chucky, but not sure he’s true #1 long term. I’d be quite scared of a regression from him. Hope I’m wrong.. very easy to root for.
I only say that the G is “fine” bc they also added Thompson. IMO, he and Lindgren are very very similar. So having “2 Lindgren’s” should mean that one will be playing well — if not both.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So many of our d roles are filled by old guys who will further decline or be gone soon. I’m fine with bringing in any young dman if they’re good.
obviously they need to upgrade and get younger on D, and Brannstrom is fine but he's not really what they most need. He's not gonna take the pressure off of 74.

been wondering about HHA. seemed like he had a great playoffs for Hershey.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The forwards are fine enough to compete for the playoffs but not true contender worthy unless PLD blossoms and other young guys take significant and perhaps unexpected steps forward. I think they’ve done well to improve but there’s still a lack of high-end talent. They also have to rebuild the 4th line almost entirely. This is not me being a pessimist or being down on what they’ve done, just the reality of the situation as they bridge the gap from between generations.
Yeah. I wasn’t clear. I think the forwards are fine for *this coming season*. They still have dead cap and money tied up in places they don’t need it. Which all melts away in 2yrs.

I truly believe that their forwards are playoff quality right now, assuming normal progression/regression from the group as a whole.

The defense is where they seem weakest. And it’s not really the individual parts, but rather the group as a whole. Too many similarly used players. They are missing the offensive element that many teams have.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Whats wrong with Nate Schmidt? After he is bought out it would be a buy low move that GMBM has been looking for.
He could be a stop gap for the long term fill in and be flipped again depending if we waiver claim or sign UFA after buyout
I was thinking the same thing, since he played the right side last year, and in the past. Great locker room guy and great for the 3rd pair. If we could trade Jensen and sign Roy and Schmidt, and have TVR as the 7th, that would improve our Defense. We need some size on Defense, which i know Schmidt doesn't really provide. Maybe there's another D they are looking at for a trade.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Love Schmidty but who is he an upgrade over? I think it's almost a certainty that one or both of Jensen and TvR are gone, so maybe he competes for 3LD or 3RD?

I'd rather them go get someone who can play 2RD and relieve some pressure off of Carlson than try to marginally improve the bottom pair. For me the ideal scenario is they trade TvR, pick up a 2RD, and Jensen reverts back to form and locks down 3RD,
Exactly who is hot after Jensen or TVR? I think we’ll have to add draft assets in order to move either player.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly who is hot after Jensen or TVR? I think we’ll have to add draft assets in order to move either player.
Really? I don’t think that at all. They are both good players. I’d say very good 4/5 types. We just have too many of them — as Sandin and Fever are also 4/5 types (at least right now). And candidly, so probably is Alexeyev/Iorio/HHA, etc. they need a top 3 type in the worst way.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We know teams were interested in Jensen last year, so I don’t necessarily agree with you. Toronto and Buffalo were teams rumored to be interested in him. Neither have terrible contracts or are replacement level players so I don’t see how it’s given they’d be viewed as cap dumps.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
As of today, I see the forward lineup kinda like this:

1719772406801.png

A lot of the proposals here have PLD at wing and Lappy at Center. We need PLD to be 1C (at least to start the season). He gets paid like one and Strome doesn’t work with OV. Reading articles on PLD I think he will do well at Center and with OV. I then like Protas up there because he can do solo board battles and is also a good passer. That line isn’t fast, but sounds like PLD can carry the puck. Goal of this line is to get OV goals and be an offensive contributor. More like a second line but as long as OV is here he is going to be first line like it or not.

Lappy can carry the puck even if he is on the wing. Strome and Lappy can interchange where needed and Wilson is your space creator and net front presence. And Lappy protector. Haha.

I don’t think McMike gets enough credit but he has a nice step forward last year with 18 goals and better speed than people give him credit for. mangi and Oshie give some savvy to that line and I think they can move the puck well.

This relegates Milano to 4th line duty which he can do, but I would prefer to move him and bring back a cheaper 4LW from outside. Fill the right side internally. We also need depth in Hershey and Trineyev, Rybinski, Dube are all waivers exempt so they can be callups. Sutter and Frank in NHL. If Oshie goes down for stretches Frank can play up to 3RW. So one will be 12 and one will be 13.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
This is the exact kind of acquisition that would cap off an overall strong offseason. Add in a decent FA defenseman.

McGoarty, Paraschak, Hutson completely re-shapes their prospect pool and is enough to be considered a "rebuild" while still "contending."
They are going to want an NHL player for McGoarty. I’m not sure how it would work.

Reactions: Marshall

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
They are going to want an NHL player for McGoarty. I’m not sure how it would work.
I'm not up to date on Winnipeg's needs but there are multiple NHL players I would give up in this scenario, with some added futures if necessary.

It's an option to shed some cap for a bigger defenseman tomorrow too.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
One of Jensen/TvR fits in that they get a serviceable D for two years rather than have to sign someone long term right now. And, sad to say, It's harder for them to attract UFAs.

They only have DeMelo & Morrissey signed long-term, with one year left in Plonk & Samberg. Stanley is RFA and Dillon and Miller are UFA.

Plus just under 12M in cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad