Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What are the QOs? Anyone know?
1719519759101.png

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oh boy, this sounds like a Backstrom situation again.

I read it as he won't play if he doesn't "find a solution", not as "I'm going to give it a try and see what happens". I doubt any permanent solution is forthcoming that his previous doctors simply haven't thought of.

Prediction, he'll be on LTIR all season.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm not a capologist, but aren't the Backstrom and Oshie contracts still limitations in free agency? I thought LTIR relief didn't exist in the offseason and teams can only go over the cap by a certain percentage.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I feel like it’s hard for Oshie to hang them up because he loves the sport so much and I think he’s legitimately a guy who doesn’t want to let the fans down. While we would all miss him on the ice, I think it’s safe to say he’s become one of the all time most beloved Caps, I feel like most of us fans would rather have him hang them up. Not just for Cap reasons, but because he means something to us and we’d rather have him not kill himself out there anymore.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
bah. Ill accept if Oshie retires, he has earned the right to go out the way he wants.

But ill set a camp for those wanting Oshie to return. I dont care where he plays in the lineup and how many games he will miss. He is the Brooks Orpik of this team now. Overpaid sure but he is gold for the team, both for the old core and the next one. He just plays the game the right way and has that sort of aura that people want to go to a war with him.

We are better with Oshie.

And we have a lot of guys in Hershey ready to get their chances. Dube, Frank, Miro etc. Oshie isnt really blocking any of those guys as we all know he will have enough maintenance days for them all to get their shot.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I read it as he won't play if he doesn't "find a solution", not as "I'm going to give it a try and see what happens". I doubt any permanent solution is forthcoming that his previous doctors simply haven't thought of.

Prediction, he'll be on LTIR all season.
The distinction is meaningless from a salary cap perspective. Whether he says he's done at the start of training camp or 8 games into the season, the Caps will have had to leave room for him as all the free agents sign and all the offseason trades are made, so it'll be impossible to use his cap hit to replace him with anything but the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel. Oshie either decides right now he's done and the Caps are able to use hit cap hit for other players, or he waits and the Caps have to leave him on the books as they make their moves this summer, just like they did with Backstrom last year.

I love Oshie, and it pains me that he might be done. I still love Backstrom. But Backstrom objectively screwed the Caps' salary cap situation last year by trying to make that miracle comeback, and if Oshie spends the summer hoping to find a miracle cure only to give up the ghost before training camp, he'll be screwing the Caps' situation the same way Backstrom did. I hope he's weighing that against the long odds that something drastically changes for him in the next two months.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The distinction is meaningless from a salary cap perspective. Whether he says he's done at the start of training camp or 8 games into the season, the Caps will have had to leave room for him as all the free agents sign and all the offseason trades are made, so it'll be impossible to use his cap hit to replace him with anything but the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel. Oshie either decides right now he's done and the Caps are able to use hit cap hit for other players, or he waits and the Caps have to leave him on the books as they make their moves this summer, just like they did with Backstrom last year.
They're leaving it open. But I would bet that if Oshie really doesn't hear hope from somewhere, he may make the call sooner. But these guys deserve the time they need to come to the decision on their own. And I respect this organization for giving them that time even when it might make things a bit tougher in terms of roster construction.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
They're leaving it open. But I would bet that if Oshie really doesn't hear hope from somewhere, he may make the call sooner. But these guys deserve the time they need to come to the decision on their own. And I respect this organization for giving them that time even when it might make things a bit tougher in terms of roster construction.
I get why he doesn't want to make the call yet. I get why the organization won't push him. I don't fault either of them, I'm just frustrated by the situation repeating itself. If he waits until training camp to give up the ghost - hell, even if he just waits until the middle of July after all the top UFAs have signed - the Caps will have essentially flushed 5.75M in cap room down the toilet this year after flushing 9.2M down the toilet last year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

couple things from vogel interview with bmac:
1)plan is stick with lindgren and shepard (no mention of stevenson) for start, could look at a backup
2) team is at the stage now where they can afford to trade picks
3) have a couple of guys interested in for free agency and would be nice to make a trade or two more

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Bmac has been very honest about what he plans to do and then does it. At least he has been
That's the rumor around here but he really hasn't held that up the last few seasons. We can't keep living off what he's done in the past. That said I'm cautiously optimistic about the PLD move, I like how bold of a leap he took to finally add the top six forward he's been looking for for the past few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad