Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Now..now folks. just 36 more hours until the next Caps game...(3 games in 4 nights all on the road). Just try not to eat each other alive before then. sheesh.
( i really wish i had a pie chart to throw in here as some kind of useful reference, but, alas, i dont ;) )

A pie fight would be a nice change of pace. With videos, please.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What's your point? Beyond insulting my loyalty to the team. Sheary and Sprong are there to provide hits? Backstrom thrives on initiating body contact? You don't really need to provide me with an example of Backstrom throwing a hit.

I think Backstrom has been struggling a little bit with covering up for some of the defensive liabilities of his wingers in recent seasons and it would be better for him and for the team to focus on remaining in good defensive posture. Caps can remain one of leagues most physical teams while also keeping their wits about them. Chara does it every game. Orlov does it every game. Wilson is capable of doing it.

Again, the team is in a stretch of games that didn't see us running around and chasing hits. They are winning a ton. What is it that you want? To see the team win or to see them play some particular style that fits your fancy?

You have a nice day

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
A pie fight would be a nice change of pace. With videos, please.
upload_2021-3-29_6-21-17.jpeg

just not in the war room!

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I dont know if there is a need to adapt any which way or another. I think what makes the Caps so successful is that they can beat you in so many different ways.

You wanna play an up and down speed game? We are not the fastest anymore but we still have burners and the Caps are still one of the most dangerous off the rush. Wanna play a methodical possession game? We got the defense to disarm you of the puck. Want to play a defensive slugfest? We can do that too. And we got the offense to put numbers up all day.

We can play the Rangers' game as we just showed. We out-Islandersed the Islanders. We can play up and down with the Devils. Outshoot the Flyers. If we could only tighten up the 3rd period the Bruins and Pens would have been no problem. Our strength is our versatility.

I guess @traparatus is right in that we don't need to bring the physicalness every night, but its just another tool in the belt.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I dont know if there is a need to adapt any which way or another. I think what makes the Caps so successful is that they can beat you in so many different ways.

You wanna play an up and down speed game? We are not the fastest anymore but we still have burners and the Caps are still one of the most dangerous off the rush. Wanna play a methodical possession game? We got the defense to disarm you of the puck. Want to play a defensive slugfest? We can do that too. And we got the offense to put numbers up all day.

We can play the Rangers' game as we just showed. We out-Islandersed the Islanders. We can play up and down with the Devils. Outshoot the Flyers. If we could only tighten up the 3rd period the Bruins and Pens would have been no problem. Our strength is our versatility.

I guess @traparatus is right in that we don't need to bring the physicalness every night, but its just another tool in the belt.
You notice this more just playing the east. As we scout and play all the div games It shows how much better we are playing them all the season goes on.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Welp, I will say I was disappointed that I couldn’t add to the epic Rags GDT before it closed. I was late to the party (again and again)

So I will say this:

The last time we saw this board being so polarizing (even if right now it seems a little “ganging up” on someone) was winter/spring 2018. We all remember that, yes?

So let’s allow our internal board “disenchantment” with each other to sow the seeds of a second “cleansing” and “uniting” for us all.

YEAH, I SAID IT!!!!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Welp, I will say I was disappointed that I couldn’t add to the epic Rags GDT before it closed. I was late to the party (again and again)

So I will say this:

The last time we saw this board being so polarizing (even if right now it seems a little “ganging up” on someone) was winter/spring 2018. We all remember that, yes?

So let’s allow our internal board “disenchantment” with each other to sow the seeds of a second “cleansing” and “uniting” for us all.

YEAH, I SAID IT!!!!
STFU

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
On top of just the general “play your best players the most” argument, another reason to play the likes of Kuznetsov, Vrana, and Ovechkin more in the third period when leading is because there are generally more rush chances available when opposing D are pinching to try to sustain possessions if they are chasing a lead. And I think it’s reasonable to say that these 3 players are much more capable of converting these rush chances than say Carl Hagelin, Nic Dowd, and Garnet Hathaway.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Caps season ticket holders. I remember reading before that DC was tentatively allowing fans in Cap One Arena starting in April 7 or around there..

Have you guys got any notices on that? That's just about a week from now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
On top of just the general “play your best players the most” argument, another reason to play the likes of Kuznetsov, Vrana, and Ovechkin more in the third period when leading is because there are generally more rush chances available when opposing D are pinching to try to sustain possessions if they are chasing a lead. And I think it’s reasonable to say players are much more capable of converting these rush chances than say Carl Hagelin, Nic Dowd, and Garnet Hathaway.

You are right about the rush chances as teams try and push and take chances to score to catchup. Its a balance of being good enough defensively and responsible in your decisions so that the coach can feel comfortable enough to risk that player on the ice. Reirden used to comment on Ovechkin's defense earning him the chance to get out for empty net opportunities.

Why do you suppose Laviolette chooses to use or not use Kuzy and Vrana the way he does?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
On top of just the general “play your best players the most” argument, another reason to play the likes of Kuznetsov, Vrana, and Ovechkin more in the third period when leading is because there are generally more rush chances available when opposing D are pinching to try to sustain possessions if they are chasing a lead. And I think it’s reasonable to say that these 3 players are much more capable of converting these rush chances than say Carl Hagelin, Nic Dowd, and Garnet Hathaway.
My assumption is the coaching staff is trying to play a lower-event brand of hockey when they have the lead. Sure, Vrana is terrific on the counter but he's also prone to weak play on the puck and bad turnovers which can lead to counters the other way, like what happened with one of the Rangers' goals on Sunday.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Whoever is on the Panik line isnt going to play much in the 3rd. Or however Lavi changes the lines in the 3rd when he goes short bench.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
My assumption is the coaching staff is trying to play a lower-event brand of hockey when they have the lead. Sure, Vrana is terrific on the counter but he's also prone to weak play on the puck and bad turnovers which can lead to counters the other way, like what happened with one of the Rangers' goals on Sunday.

There does need to be a balance though. They can’t just park the bus and be so afraid of turnovers that they just sit back and allow the opposition full control of the puck.

upload_2021-3-30_11-36-35.png

Once ahead the Capitals have completely abandoned attacking, especially with a multi goal lead.

And again blowing leads has been a season-long problem, not a one-off thing. At some point isn’t it worth examining the coaching decisions that may lead to these blown leads?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
There does need to be a balance though. They can’t just park the bus and be so afraid of turnovers that they just sit back and allow the opposition full control of the puck.

View attachment 414764

Once ahead the Capitals have completely abandoned attacking, especially with a multi goal lead.

And again blowing leads has been a season-long problem, not a one-off thing. At some point isn’t it worth examining the coaching decisions that may lead to these blown leads?

That really is interesting. That up 3 or more part of the maps does align with what I'm seeing. And I'm sure what everyone is seeing. We all know about the dreaded 3 goal lead, but the stark difference between up 2 goals and 3 goals is eye opening.

I love the 4th line HDH style, and what they do to help the team win, I just don't know if they are good enough to take on an even super-increased role in parking the bus and win playoff games like this.

But I'm not sure if sending out Vrana, Kuzy and company are the answer either. At least now right now. Thing about sports though, players can also improve. What may be true today can also be a strength or at least not a weakness in the playoffs.

I know you can question coaching, and you should. But I think Laviolette has shown so far that he has a plan and should be given the benefit of the doubt right now. Maybe this is his way of showing the players on his team why exactly they need to do better in certain areas.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Whoever is on the Panik line isnt going to play much in the 3rd. Or however Lavi changes the lines in the 3rd when he goes short bench.
Panik losing minutes in the 3rd has basically only been since Eller's been out
Panik was getting regular shifts thru the game with Eller since they're more defensively responsible in Lavi's eyes

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Panik losing minutes in the 3rd has basically only been since Eller's been out
Panik was getting regular shifts thru the game with Eller since they're more defensively responsible in Lavi's eyes

It has a lot to do with Oshie moving back to 1/2RW in the third instead of 3C. Vrana, Sprong and generally Sheary don’t see much ice when they’re defending a third period lead either, so if Oshie’s taking shifts with Kuzy or Backstrom you’re not going to see much of a third line.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

View attachment 414764

There is at least a possibility that Caps struggle defending against an aggressive 5-man attack, with opposing defensemen getting heavily involved in the offensive zone. That would make the whole problem more opposition driven and less about the Caps.

There is also the issue of Eller missing and Caps not replacing him. It's kind of crazy that we are spending long stretches of games rotating 3 centers. It's a bold move and can't be of much long term benefit to the oldest team in the league.

Edit: Just saw that HecticGlow brought up the Oshie deployment issue as well.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Stats or eye test shedding multiple goal leads routinely against inferior teams is a bad indicator for the playoffs. That's how top teams get caved in when the opposition has that extra playoff jump to get that final tying goal that they may be lacking in the regular season.

They need to keep pushing for offense or at the very least when they turtle they need to turtle by keeping the puck in the opposing zone instead of just trying to keep the opposition to the outside while letting them freewheel with the puck.

Less this

626289c756b3b1daeb249c24797eaee2.gif

More this

NjuFD3f.gif

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's like the phrase "2 goal lead...worst lead in hockey" was just invented this week.

Reactions: Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think there are a lot of biases at play here that are giving the impression there's some huge 3rd period blown lead problem. Teams that trail tend to press the offense and take more chances. Teams that are leading tend to tighten up. This shit is as OLD AS THE HILLS in all sports, and across almost all teams.

And IMO the "problem" here is tinged by the fear and disappointment (and agendas some have) whenever there's a recently eroded lead. Here's the reality:

upload_2021-3-30_14-42-45.png

Caps this season are 4th BEST IN THE LEAGUE at closing the deal when leading after 2 periods. They've lost ONCE.

So what is all this handwringing really about, if not people just disliking the idea that the bench shortens and the shutdown players bring home 2 points.

How is .947 winning % and 18-1 record leading after 2 periods some crisis that demands opening up the offense in the 3rd period??

By far the bigger concern is what happens after they grab an EARLY lead.

upload_2021-3-30_14-47-43.png

Much, much worse at protecting a lead after 1 period despite a very good 2nd period goal differential. And they aren't blowing those leads in the 3rd period, again per the chart further up.

The problem is losing leads in the FIRST period, or giving up slim leads in the 2nd. Not blowing leads later in the game.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I think there are a lot of biases at play here that are giving the impression there's some huge 3rd period blown lead problem. Teams that trail tend to press the offense and take more chances. Teams that are leading tend to tighten up. This shit is as OLD AS THE HILLS in all sports, and across almost all teams.

And IMO the "problem" here is tinged by the fear and disappointment (and agendas some have) whenever there's a recently eroded lead. Here's the reality:

View attachment 414846

Caps this season are 4th BEST IN THE LEAGUE at closing the deal when leading after 2 periods. They've lost ONCE.

So what is all this handwringing really about, if not people just disliking the idea that the bench shortens and the shutdown players bring home 2 points.

How is .947 winning % and 18-1 record leading after 2 periods some crisis that demands opening up the offense in the 3rd period??

By far the bigger concern is what happens after they grab an EARLY lead.

View attachment 414848

Much, much worse at protecting a lead after 1 period despite a very good 2nd period goal differential. And they aren't blowing those leads in the 3rd period, again per the chart further up.

The problem is losing leads in the FIRST period, or giving up slim leads in the 2nd. Not blowing leads later in the game.

We all know the phrase "2 goals is the worst lead in hockey". It's just that the Caps has made their very own unique twist to it haha.

And its fine since we win still either way. But I think a lot of us are worried about how effective that will be in the playoffs. And that's what it really boils down to. It's always been that way for the Caps, the regular season really means nothing and is just there to tinker for what happens in the playoffs. There might have been a slight pause in that thinking after waiting to see how a new coach will affect the Reirden disaster. But now that we've seen things are back to normal, our fears are back to normal too :laugh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad