Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred22406Capsfan

Jan 19, 2020
There's something flawed about the way the Caps play against the Rags in their own zone. I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but the Rags get way more zone time than other teams seem to. There's something they do that is different...

Oooops... meant to post this in the gameday thread...
This felt like the first time we (mostly) played our game and had the Rangers adjusting to it. Every game up until now it's felt like we were responding to what they were dictating. I'm a total spectator with 0 game experience on ice but that's my .02.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Well, then trade Wilson. Every other team in the league wants him. Seriously, Wilson wasnt playing but Ovechkin was and Oshie and Hathaway and Dowd and Dillon and Chara and Orlov. The team is built to bash. Thats the point.

I am not alone thinking that. The first thing Laviolette said about the team when hired was they are big and they are physical

At no point did I suggest trading Wilson. He is a great player and most assuredly doesn't have to head hunt to be extremely effective. Actually, I'd like to see him focus a little less on offensive zone hitting and a little more on defensive zone assignments and making sure the puck gets out of the zone when it's on his stick 5 feet away from the blue line.

Dowd and Hathway have an assignment and it's to shut down opposing top lines, not run around looking for hits. Orlov... If Wilson had the wisdom that Orlov has in picking his hits, he'd have zero suspensions. Dillon gets progressively worse the more he tries to deliver heavy hits. We've literally got scored on multiple times because Dillon chose to try and inflict a doze of pain instead of simply containing the opposing forward. Kind of similar to the way Orpik was.

Reactions: twabby

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At no point did I suggest trading Wilson. He is a great player and most assuredly doesn't have to head hunt to be extremely effective. Actually, I'd like to see him focus a little less on offensive zone hitting and a little more on defensive zone assignments and making sure the puck gets out of the zone when it's on his stick 5 feet away from the blue line.

Dowd and Hathway have an assignment and it's to shut down opposing top lines, not run around looking for hits. Orlov... If Wilson had the wisdom that Orlov has in picking his hits, he'd have zero suspensions. Dillon gets progressively worse the more he tries to deliver heavy hits. We've literally got scored on multiple times because Dillon chose to try and inflict a doze of pain instead of simply containing the opposing forward. Kind of similar to the way Orpik was.

You would like to see Wilson coached differently then? The Caps plan in every playoff series is to dump the puck behind the opposing defense and then hit them. Wilson as the leader of that attack. Thats in the offensive zone.

I didnt say you suggested he be traded. Thats me saying if you want to take what makes him unique then trade him for a player that does what you want.

My take reading the above is that you dont like the Capitals team identity. Oh well.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
You would like to see Wilson coached differently then? The Caps plan in every playoff series is to dump the puck behind the opposing defense and then hit them. Wilson as the leader of that attack. Thats in the offensive zone.

I didnt say you suggested he be traded. Thats me saying if you want to take what makes him unique then trade him for a player that does what you want.

My take reading the above is that you dont like the Capitals team identity. Oh well.

It makes no difference what I want Wilson to do. He'll either be coached differently and play differently than he did in our Cup run or we'll be playing one Tom Wilson short. You best embrace it.

I also have no issues with Caps' identity in the last ~10 games. A little cleaner and more detailed in the defensive zone and I'll be happy as a goose. Didn't concuss anybody, didn't put anybody on LTIR, won lots of games, scored lots of goals. Sounds good to me.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't know how I can say any different. If Wilson makes that Wennberg hit from our Cup run this year, he is done. Adapt or die.

Plenty of teams have grit, sandpaper, whatever you want to call without crossing the line into concussions and suspension territory.
There is no “adapting” needed for the entire team. Keep playing heavy and keep hitting. Pretty clear the rest of the league doesn’t like it.

If you’re singling out Wilson, sure I get it because he has the history behind him unlike when we won the cup. But the entire team adapting makes zero sense. Keep hunting. You can still hunt for a hit and not absolutely kill someone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
BTW, what the Capitals have is not grit and sandpaper. Ovechkin is not a gritty, sandpaper player like....Matt Hendricks. He is a dump truck that blows your ass up. What the Capitals do is what the John Riggins/Joe Gibbs Redskins did. Pound and beat down the opposition with heavy contact til they are too sore and worn to resist you any longer. That the Caps trailed in each of those series in 2018 and dominated the end of those series was not a coincidence. It was the plan

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
There is no “adapting” needed for the entire team. Keep playing heavy and keep hitting. Pretty clear the rest of the league doesn’t like it.

If you’re singling out Wilson, sure I get it because he has the history behind him unlike when we won the cup. But the entire team adapting makes zero sense. Keep hunting. You can still hunt for a hit and not absolutely kill someone.

That's just the thing. There are very few players on this team who go out of their way to make a hit. Wilson is one and I already made my case about him. Oshie is as likely to get injured as he is to positively contribute by chasing hits. Hathaway and Dowd have a job to do that's way more important than establishing a physical presence. Neither is really looking for contact much anymore. Dillon has no clue when to step up for a big hit and when to just establish containment. Chara and Orlov don't chase hits. They do exactly what I'd like to see Wilson do. Same goes for Eller/Panik.

What about Vrana, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Jensen, Schultz, Sheary, Sprong, etc? I think they'd much rather just play hockey.

Ovechkin can do whatever the hell he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
TW has a "bad" hit after 2 years of nothing and suddenly it's pants-pissing time.

Don't buy into the narrative. It's gamesmanship by other teams and their fans, and the league response is based on legal concern not the rules.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I can agree with Trap that it needs to be a controlled aggression.

However, the Caps are constructed as a heavy team and to win the Cup, they are going to need to keep playing heavy. Being physical is their identity.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think this all got blown out of proportion with the term “hunting for hits” which is different than “head hunting”. Hunting for hits means, playing physical, finishing your checks, and skating through the skater. You either give the hit or take the puck. usually when you give the hit the pucks gets coughed up as well. It is a damn good strategy if you have the personnel and style to do it. We do!

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hunting for hits is how Capitals lose and get Wilson suspended in the process.

Caps' fans need to get it through their heads. The way that we played when we won the Cup is no longer available. If that Cup run is replayed, Tom Wilson is suspended in the first round for the Wennberg play and IF he makes it back for the 2nd round, he is suspended for the rest of the playoffs for the ZAR hit. You can moan about it and reminisce about the good old days but this is the way it is.

Also, the list of Caps' players whose play is negatively effected by chasing hits is a lot longer than the list of those who benefit from it. Oshie is always one bad hit away from missing significant time. Wilson is one bad hit away from a season ending suspension. Hathaway/Hangelin/Dowd stopped chasing body contact and managed to become a much better line in the process. Backstrom and Ovechkin have to focus on remaining in good defensive position because they bleed enough scoring chances against even when they are not chasing body contact. Ditto for Dillon and Carlson.
Ok, coach

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's just the thing. There are very few players on this team who go out of their way to make a hit. Wilson is one and I already made my case about him. Oshie is as likely to get injured as he is to positively contribute by chasing hits. Hathaway and Dowd have a job to do that's way more important than establishing a physical presence. Neither is really looking for contact much anymore. Dillon has no clue when to step up for a big hit and when to just establish containment. Chara and Orlov don't chase hits. They do exactly what I'd like to see Wilson do. Same goes for Eller/Panik.

What about Vrana, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Jensen, Schultz, Sheary, Sprong, etc? I think they'd much rather just play hockey.

Ovechkin can do whatever the hell he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

Wow. You are a fan of the Capitals? It looks pretty much like you hate their guts. Backstrom doesnt take any shit and after that you are bringing up Sheary and Sprong??? These players dont chase hits. They are assigned to provide hits. Is there a team in the league you would like the Caps to be more like?

For context. Backstrom

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Wow. You are a fan of the Capitals? It looks pretty much like you hate their guts. Backstrom doesnt take any shit and after that you are bringing up Sheary and Sprong??? These players dont chase hits. They are assigned to provide hits. Is there a team in the league you would like the Caps to be more like?

For context. Backstrom

What's your point? Beyond insulting my loyalty to the team. Sheary and Sprong are there to provide hits? Backstrom thrives on initiating body contact? You don't really need to provide me with an example of Backstrom throwing a hit.

I think Backstrom has been struggling a little bit with covering up for some of the defensive liabilities of his wingers in recent seasons and it would be better for him and for the team to focus on remaining in good defensive posture. Caps can remain one of leagues most physical teams while also keeping their wits about them. Chara does it every game. Orlov does it every game. Wilson is capable of doing it.

Again, the team is in a stretch of games that didn't see us running around and chasing hits. They are winning a ton. What is it that you want? To see the team win or to see them play some particular style that fits your fancy?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Must be shit hot take night.

Wilson is a bad man.....boo hoo. Don’t like it, take your abacus and head home. This is a tough sport.

He should have you represent him next time he has hearing, I'm sure the NHL will be like "damn Wilson's Troy McClure like lawyer has a point, we better let him go" and not sit him for a calendar year

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We JUST spent 7 games without Tom Wilson. The team played the best hockey of the season by simply playing the game and taking whatever hits were readily available. Of course, Caps are going to make more contact than most teams. They are big, old and slower than all other contenders. Not chasing hits doesn't mean you can't hit. I don't get how people watch this team play good hockey, win games, not chase hits, not concuss anybody and immediately turn around and say 'I hope we go back to playing the way we did in that game where Wilson got suspended and the Caps got absolutely obliterated'.

Caps are the slowest contending team in the league. Every big hit that they chase puts them out of position defensively. Wilson can just play the game and separate players from the puck instead of trying to separate their heads from the body.

Play the game like Chara. The guy is old and slow, he knows his limitations and just makes the best play available. He is more experienced and wiser than damn near anybody in the league. He has efficiency of movement and quality of decision making to rival the best defensemen in the league. To me, he is the epitome of Caps right now.
It's fairly easy to have efficiency of movement when you have a ~10 foot reach. Chara is awesome, smart, experienced, etc. but he's also a giant and it's a big factor in his continued effectiveness.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
It is day and night, how good we are without Lars Eller and Jonas Siegenthaler on the ice. Someone smart suggested it before. Cannot remember who..

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Now..now folks. just 36 more hours until the next Caps game...(3 games in 4 nights all on the road). Just try not to eat each other alive before then. sheesh.
( i really wish i had a pie chart to throw in here as some kind of useful reference, but, alas, i dont ;) )

Reactions: bur and 666 others
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad