Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Top thing I never thought I'd say 7 games into the season...I have been so impressed with schultz. Not just because of the goal last night... Both ends of the ice and special teams. Contract not looking as bad as in initially thought.
If he continues playing this way, it’s a bargain. But, as you mentioned — it’s still very early. At least it’s not a 4yr deal

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
From ChartingHockey, guess which one is the ECHL goalie and which one is the heir to the throne?

upload_2021-1-27_9-14-49.png

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Yeah Chara's problems mostly seem to be heavy-usage wise for a 43 year old. He was much much better at the start. Give him a rest on Thursday and get him ready for the Boston games starting Saturday.
We'll need him in playoffs. Now he can rest. We know, he knows how to play hockey.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In his post-game last night Trotz spent about 2 minutes talking about VV and how happy he and Korn and the whole former (now Isles) staff are for him.
Good stuff. VV seems like good people. I think Sammy is solid too and can and will be terrific but it's nice to know we have two young guys who could be really good when other teams have no NHL quality goalies. Obviously as @twabby said the sample sizes are small so we can't draw many conclusions but the arrow signifying the goaltending position is trending up, I'd say.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
We'll need him in playoffs. Now he can rest. We know, he knows how to play hockey.

Well playoffs is still far off. I was thinking have him fully rested for the next series against Boston. The Bruins look pretty damn good without Pasta, Krug and Chara. I'm sure Chara wants to bring it against his old team. Allow him to do that by giving him the game off before that. Let him unleashhhh the furyyyyy haha.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Sprong's goal last night was nasty. Give that man some top line minutes

I dont know about top line minutes, and I forgot who said it in the GDT yesterday, but he should be given the green light to shoot it any time he sees a good opening. Any time. You are right, Sprong's shot is nasty. He needs to use it whenever he can.

He's pretty accurate with it, and has a quick sneaky release that generates a lot of power. Varly didn't even react to it until it was already past him top shelf.

Other than Ovechkin, no one else has a shot like that on the Caps and Ovie's shot is a long windup slapper.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he continues playing this way, it’s a bargain. But, as you mentioned — it’s still very early. At least it’s not a 4yr deal

May I suggest that the early thing isnt an issue. In fact its an indication of more good things to come. What were we told about this player coming in? Why did we not like the choice? He was damaged goods. He was a skating defenseman that had been injured and lost both a step and his maneuverability. He couldnt play anymore. He has proved that he can skate like himself.

My take is that Pens fans are going to be pissed because this Schultz is not the same as the Schultz they had last season

Reactions: Rayquaza64

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I dont know about top line minutes, and I forgot who said it in the GDT yesterday, but he should be given the green light to shoot it any time he sees a good opening. Any time. You are right, Sprong's shot is nasty. He needs to use it whenever he can.

He's pretty accurate with it, and has a quick sneaky release that generates a lot of power. Varly didn't even react to it until it was already past him top shelf.

Other than Ovechkin, no one else has a shot like that on the Caps and Ovie's shot is a long windup slapper.

What is the top line? Which of the top 4 wings when healthy would you take down to make room?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
What is the top line? Which of the top 4 wings when healthy would you take down to make room?

Oh, I don't think he should be given top line minutes unless his overall game improves. Just think that he should be allowed to shoot that shot of his whenever he can because he has the best shot AINEC out of the bottom 6.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh, I don't think he should be given top line minutes unless his overall game improves. Just think that he should be allowed to shoot that shot of his whenever he can because he has the best shot AINEC out of the bottom 6.

I think he has always been allowed to shoot that shot

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I tell you what, @francaisvolantsparis might actually get to watch an ECHL center at 3C next game, the rate things are going.

Gutsy win against a very difficult team to score against. Guys just aren't giving up, which is epitomised by VV. He doesn't seem all that bothered when he gets scored on, either – just resets ready to stop the next one. The depth on defense seems to be balancing out the problems up front.

But man, the idea that we could play the next game with only 2 of our top 7 forwards. That's scary. Still, at least the new first line (Hagelin–Dowd–Hathaway) are proving they can generate some offense. Do we even have enough available forwards on the roster and taxi squad to fill out the 12 if NB and LE are both out, on top of the Russian four and Wilson?

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
May I suggest that the early thing isnt an issue. In fact its an indication of more good things to come. What were we told about this player coming in? Why did we not like the choice? He was damaged goods. He was a skating defenseman that had been injured and lost both a step and his maneuverability. He couldnt play anymore. He has proved that he can skate like himself.

My take is that Pens fans are going to be pissed because this Schultz is not the same as the Schultz they had last season
Hope so. Just worried about stamina and the dreaded “sheltered minutes” for any player. I’m sure someone can give me a fancy chart to show it both ways.

regardless, you are right — his wheels seem really good. Great sign

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think there is some school of thought of putting Oshie w Eller. To save some tread and spread the wealth. That wouldn’t shock nor bother me to see it tried.

issue is Sprong and D aren’t assuredly a thing. And our LW’s aren’t awesome at D

I’d still tinker like crazy.

Ovechkin -Kuznetsov - Wilson
Panik - Backstrom - Sprong
Vrana - Eller - Oshie
4th

NO, I’m not looking at is as a demotion for anyone. PP time still sticks. Just try some other options for a game or so to see what happens

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think there is some school of thought of putting Oshie w Eller. To save some tread and spread the wealth. That wouldn’t shock nor bother me to see it tried.

issue is Spring and D aren’t assuredly a thing. And our LW’s aren’t awesome at D

I’d still tinker like crazy.

Ovechkin -Kuznetsov - Wilson
Panik - Backstrom - Sprong
Vrana - Eller - Oshie
4th

NO, I’m not looking at is as a demotion for anyone. PP time still sticks. Just try some other options for a game or so to see what happens
Vrana has been unimpressive this year so far, though he's scored a couple. He needs to be much more engaged. Playing with Eller could help with that, IMO.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Vrana has been unimpressive this year so far, though he's scored a couple. He needs to be much more engaged. Playing with Eller could help with that, IMO.

I'm in this boat as well. Jake is a scorer, he may become a consistent 30 goal guy, but he offers almost nothing else whatsoever and he is something of a defensive liability. Its really hard to replace 25+ goals, but if he's not scoring those (like the last two playoffs) then he's entirely dead weight.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad