Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Oh yeah. This is their first regulation loss incoming, I'd almost bet on it.

with the way Varlamov has been playing, with a Trotz defensive structure around him, it wouldn’t surprise me if we get shutout honestly. Neither Pittsburg nor Buffalo really know how to play a defensive game...

Wait, is this jersey replacing the classic white/red throwbacks as our 3rd? If so that's lame.

I assumed the ‘reverse retro’ was replacing the third until I heard the Caps were creating their own third jersey. Will the teams who are playing in the outdoor games try and roll out new thirds, outdoor jerseys AND reverse retros, I wonder?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
WSH is 4th in the whole league with 9 pts (VGK/MTL/TOR have 10) all while their play has been all over the place and now Willy and the Covids to overcome, I'm happily surprised to be ahead of 27 teams with how the season has been laid out so far

PIT just got their 1st Regulation W last game, BOS has only 1 also, Jersey just shut out the Aisles; a lot of teams aren't firing on all cylinders yet

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
This.

Plus, in my opinion, anything is better than their normal home/away's. I'm all for spicing it up as much as possible.
I completely agree this stuff has to be done this year, I get it. But I disagree completely that anything is better than our current sweaters. The reds are great and the third sweater awesome. I can handle the whites though they could be updated.

the one offs for the winter classic and such are usually a little over the top but they are one time only. These aren’t the right color (we are not a blue team FYI) and the reverse (though better than what I thought) comes from an era of the worst looking uniforms ever. Spicing it up isn’t always the right answer.

Reactions: capsdom86

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
They will also debut the new third alternates tonight against the Isles.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They will also debut the new third alternates tonight against the Isles.

Wearing them in honor of Trotz.

w768xh576_Caps3rds.jpg

657774484-boston-bruins-v-new-york-islanders.jpg.jpg

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
My baseless, fact-less conspiracy theory about the new blue sweaters (which I find to be...fine.):

The design they released was a rejected design from the stadium series. In order to generate more revenue, they dusted them off and had them made as regulation uniforms in order to have more product to sell. My main reason for completely inventing this scenario in my head is that I had heard nothing, nada, zero about a new third sweater until the club tweeted them. That seems...unusual. Peculiar, even.

Again, I have zero evidence for any of this, and even if it was 100% I wouldn't blame the club one bit. Gotta find money in this economy somehow.

(Bonus conspiracy theory: the organization is holding off on using the Weagle as the main logo for a sweater on purpose, because...it will be the main logo the next time they do a full sweater redesign. Now pass the tinfoil and make yourself a hat out of it.)

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah Chara's problems mostly seem to be heavy-usage wise for a 43 year old. He was much much better at the start. Give him a rest on Thursday and get him ready for the Boston games starting Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCaps2004

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The positive thing about Chara is that a lot of his mistakes feel like mistakes you can bring to him like "hey, what the hell was this?" and maybe, maaaybe, over the course of the season he'll realize he's not 33 anymore.

Like, his big glaring errors are all correctable once he starts playing within himself and his role and stops telling himself "you can do this, man, you're Zdeno Chara" before trying something extra. Maybe he doesn't, who knows, but at least it's more of that and less that he's definitely too slow to play the game anymore.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Any mistakes Z has made are easily outweighted by the good he does every shift. He has huge impact on our defence.

Lavi + Chara + Schultz is sending a lot same kind of vibes as Trotz + Orpik + Niskanen. Our whole team defense is looking better already and its just 7 games with the new group. BM for sure regocnized they will need this stability with two rookie goalies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Top thing I never thought I'd say 7 games into the season...I have been so impressed with schultz. Not just because of the goal last night... Both ends of the ice and special teams. Contract not looking as bad as in initially thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad