Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Vrana Kuznetsov Sprong. There was a reason Laviolette put them together. If they are feeling it offensively, they control the puck and put up numbers. If they are not, you can keep them on the bench.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We think Backy has a headache now. Geez. Backstrom has been legit and consistent. He is the team leader in scoring. His reward is 3rd line mins with them? Ok.
What part of “no, this isn’t a demotion for anyone” didn’t stick here?

Backstrom is the ultimate team player. He’s been 16:24 ES TOI. Eller 14. Kuznetsov 13:40. Dowd 11:47. That include OT. Which Caps have played 3 or so far? In 7? Backstrom TOI in OT is a a whopping 2:04. Next is Eller at :51 and Kuz at :50. So 25% of Backstrom TOI dofferntial over Eller at ES is OT. They aren’t that far apart.

so it’s not nutso. Stop w the demotion stuff. You play it this way for 2 periods. If behind, Nick double shifts as normal at ES. Eller is already ahead of Kuznetsov.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Vrana Kuznetsov Sprong. There was a reason Laviolette put them together. If they are feeling it offensively, they control the puck and put up numbers. If they are not, you can keep them on the bench.
That’s the worst defensive line you could ever put together on this team. Literally.

Awful - Disinterested - Useless

won’t happen

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That’s the worst defensive line you could ever put together on this team. Literally.

won’t happen
They were together briefly against Pittsburgh I believe and they looked quite good. I’d like to see it again once Kuzy is back but pretty hard to run any ideal line combos at this point with so many injuries and covid scratches

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Stop w the demotion stuff. You play it this way for 2 periods. If behind, Nick double shifts as normal at ES. Eller is already ahead of Kuznetsov.

Come on Boss. There are only so many mins in a game. Which ever center is playing with Panik and Sprong as their wingers is going to play less. Call it what you want. Yea, Eller is ahead of Kuzy but if Kuzy is playing with Ovechkin, that will change unless you see Eller playing ahead of the line with Ovechkin.

The more Dowd's bunch play the less ice there is for the other 3. Like I said, there are only so many mins

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

won’t happen

Pretty soon the line combinations are going to include Locker-JoeB-Walton, so we can't get too choosy about abstract things like "defense", now can we :D

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’d have to look at the ice time per player in that game. But regardless, was one game.

and I’m happy Lavi tried it. He needs to do it with all of them (back to my original point, which you are supporting in a round about way)

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Pens forum - couple of them talking about how well Schultz is doing with our team and they are basically being shouted down by the rest who are saying he's been lucky, too small a sample size, and if he's the "best D the Caps have then they are in real trouble". Haha that is such a petulant fanbase.
They seem to be permanently angry about everything to do with not only their current team but all of the players who have since been traded or signed elsewhere :laugh:

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’d have to look at the ice time per player in that game. But regardless, was one game.

and I’m happy Lavi tried it. He needs to do it with all of them (back to my original point, which you are supporting in a round about way)

TOI 1-19-21

Sprong 12:50
Vrana 13:06
Kuzy 14:30
Oshie 17:06
Eller 17:30
Panik 15:49

So, do you want Eller playing 3 mins more than Backstrom?

Edit: I give you credit. You said it wouldnt happen. I showed you that it already did happen. You say that I make your point for you.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Pens forum - couple of them talking about how well Schultz is doing with our team and they are basically being shouted down by the rest who are saying he's been lucky, too small a sample size, and if he's the "best D the Caps have then they are in real trouble". Haha that is such a petulant fanbase.
They seem to be permanently angry about everything to do with not only their current team but all of the players who have since been traded or signed elsewhere :laugh:
He’s our 4th best, or did I miss when we traded Carlson, Orlov, and Dillon?

they are knowledgeable clowns. Dangerous combo

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
So, folks had been saying they thought Oshie would be exposed this summer for the expansion draft. Have your thoughts changed at all? I happen to believe they will protect him.

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Oshie
Vrana
Kuznetsov
Wilson
Eller

Carlson
Orlov
Dillon

Reactions: Calicaps

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Schultz continues to play good, Id protect him. This is a rare moment Caps got 2RD. We know how good it was while we had Niskanen, why expose Schultz then?

Dillon is a much less rare type of player, we have two similar players (Siege, Fever) already in the system, so losing Dillon wont be as hard to fix as losing Schultz

Its too early for that though

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If Schultz continues to play good, Id protect him. This is a rare moment Caps got 2RD. We know how good it was while we had Niskanen, why expose Schultz then?

Dillon is a much less rare type of player, we have two similar players (Siege, Fever) already in the system, so losing Dillon wont be as hard to fix as losing Schultz

Its too early for that though
Not sure they’d take a guy w only one year left on his contract though (Schultz). They need longer terms blocks, yes? Need to see how the year pans out, obv.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
@Raikkonen just to reply to your petulent message on the game thread, reminder - THERE'S AN EXPANSION DRAFT COMING.

Keeping Samsonov and Vanecek is going to be very difficult, so one option on the table is to trade a goalie away, and if VV continues playing really well then it's going to be interesting to see who gets protected.

No one's saying trade Samsonov now, but at the end of the year the Caps will probably have to make a decision who they want to give to Seattle, this is a fan forum, fans are talking about what could go down. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad