Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There are some on here that are "just fine" (dare I say.....happy??) with the 20 games. So, maybe my post wasnt directed at Mr Sam Spade?

f*** that!! Wilson is soooo important to the Caps, I rank them Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Wilson.

Willy hit Kunitz, leads to turnover to Kuzy, pass to Ovechkin, GOAL, in game seven. Huge.

Wilson single-handedly removed a 40 goal scorer from the Final by hitting him over and over and over again.

Without Wilson, no Cup, believe that.

I am just pissed that he did such a dumb thing in a pre-season game. It will be game 25-30 before Wilson is "back in the groove" of the team and I am definitely mad about that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Any hits that Tom tries, may be more awkward than some of the NFL "hits" on QBs yesterday... to non NFL fans, our precious quarterbacks are basically off limits to being hit, in a variety of ways. Can't touch the head, cannot hit below the knee, cannot use your full body weight to tackle... special rules, for certain players.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The thing I fear with Tom, is players can now easy troll tom by just looking downward on approach, say at the puck. Have their head in position to stop him dead in his tracks. Tom will have to pull up. He just cannot risk hitting an opponent in the head right now. Maybe he can safely hit the Chara's of the league, that's about it.

He is not far away from losing his entire 5M salary. 1 or 2 questionable hits is all that it will take. I am not sure I can ever recall a player more neutered... maybe Cooke or Torres I suppose.

That Aston hit really set a bad precedent. A player properly prepared/squaring up to hit Tom, still equals a suspension for Tom. I knew Tom was in a tough spot after that one. The former players etc coming to his defense, sadly rang hollow with the powers that be.
Ya I didnt like the suspension on the Ashton Reese hit. It was the furthest thing from a blindside hit as you can get. Ashton Reese's took Wilson on head on and lost.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ya I didnt like the suspension on the Ashton Reese hit. It was the furthest thing from a blindside hit as you can get. Ashton Reese's took Wilson on head on and lost.

Yep. As Tom's legal counsel I would certainly address that in the appeal hearing. Its not just a suspension, its the repeated suspensions that are the problem today. And my defense would include quotes from all the respected players former or current, that defended him after that Aston hit. See if we can convince Bentsie to remove that one from the ledger with respect to its use in determining 20 games / repeat offender status.

You know what else I would do, is make my own dopey video and use it as a part of his defense. Noting in particular, the careless or reckless nature of the opposition. Aston should have bailed out. Why did he think he could stand up to Tom?? At some point ALL players have to be held accountable for their actions. I would also show all the other things that go unpunished, and ask why that it is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yep. As Tom's legal counsel I would certainly address that in the appeal hearing. Its not just a suspension, its the repeated suspensions that are the problem today. And my defense would include quotes from all the respected players former or current, that defended him after that Aston hit. See if we can convince Bentsie to remove that one from the ledger with respect to its use in determining 20 games / repeat offender status.

You know what else I would do, is make my own dopey video and use it as a part of his defense. Noting in particular, the careless or reckless nature of the opposition. Aston should have bailed out. Why did he think he could stand up to Tom?? At some point ALL players have to be held accountable for their actions. I would also show all the other things that go unpunished, and ask why that it is.

Weather man and legal eagle.....you truly are the most interesting person on HF! ;)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Weather man and legal eagle.....you truly are the most interesting person on HF! ;)

Thanks. But you forgot this one.... yes, I am an internet doctor. Oh and I am the co-founder of the hair club for men.

18914306-internet-medical-doctor.jpg

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
**** that!! Wilson is soooo important to the Caps, I rank them Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Wilson.

Willy hit Kunitz, leads to turnover to Kuzy, pass to Ovechkin, GOAL, in game seven. Huge.

Wilson single-handedly removed a 40 goal scorer from the Final by hitting him over and over and over again.

Without Wilson, no Cup, believe that.

I am just pissed that he did such a dumb thing in a pre-season game. It will be game 25-30 before Wilson is "back in the groove" of the team and I am definitely mad about that.
True. Karlsson in game 5 looked dazed. Was he even on the ice in the final minutes?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would think I am also the resident goon, but g00n is our actual goon. Part of being a good goon is acting innocent after committing our crimes.

My Resume

Ironic, Vaive showed how easy it is to defend oneself. Bail out, or fall backwards. No worse for wear at all, and got right back up. A modern day Vaive would have been taken off on a stretcher after taking that on the chin, and Holt would be suspended indefinitely #FreeWilly

Holt on Vaive a week later... love the huge RH twig on my goon dmen. It aids in the buffoonernistic endeavors. You may skate like the wind, but he IS going to get a piece of you.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
In 41 games since winning in SJ including playoffs, the Caps are 13-3-1 regular season, 16-8 with 2 OT losses so 29-9-3 with regular season scoring, and
Ovechkin 41 gp, 26 g 19 a 45 p
Kuzy 38 gp, 21 g 33 a 54 p
Backstrom 37 gp, 10 g 39 a 49 p
Carlson 41 gp, 10 g 29 a 39 p
Oshie 39 gp, 17 g 20 a 37 p

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Changing topics, anyone else tired of hearing about how we didn’t mention Trotz on opening night. First it’s annoying because we didn’t mention beagle or grubs as far as I can remeber either, and second it’s annoying because it’s usually coming from people who know nothing of hockey or the caps. Most of these people feel Trotz is the reason we won. Just frustrating to me
I think Trotz is the reason we won. He turned a run and gun team into a defensively responsible team.
So far this year its looks like we are back to the run and gun style. I doubt this team will be as successful this year as it was under Trotz.
I predict that we dont crack 100 points this year and are a borderline playoff team. I have ca feeling the Islanders will be a better defensive team than us this year.
I dont understand the Trotz hatred here and the big push for change even though the team was winning.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Trotz is the reason we won. He turned a run and gun team into a defensively responsible team.
So far this year its looks like we are back to the run and gun style. I doubt this team will be as successful this year as it was under Trotz.
I predict that we dont crack 100 points this year and are a borderline playoff team. I have ca feeling the Islanders will be a better defensive team than us this year.
I dont understand the Trotz hatred here and the big push for change even though the team was winning.
Are...are you the same guy?
You are already bashing Bowey. Its only been 2 games.
I know there's this huge break but, uh, take a breath.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Nowhere in your post is an actual question so, uh, nope. Nope. Not even going to try to prove you wrong.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nowhere in your post is an actual question so, uh, nope. Nope. Not even going to try to prove you wrong.
OK why all the hatred for Trotz? And why did all of you guys want to run him out of town? Why do you guys refuse to give Trotz any credit for what he accomplished here? Why do you guys think its OK that the Caps neglected to mention Trotz or other players when raising the banner? Should I go on?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
OK why all the hatred for Trotz? And why did all of you guys want to run him out of town? Why do you guys refuse to give Trotz any credit for what he accomplished here? Why do you guys think its OK that the Caps neglected to mention Trotz or other players when raising the banner? Should I go on?

You know the answers to these questions.

Many of us were ready to move on from Trotz for two reasons. First, he failed to get the Caps past the second round with what we thought was the best Caps roster ever. The consensus was that the Caps downgraded in the summer of 2017, so what chance did the team have of winning with the same coaching staff but an inferior roster?

Second, the team wasn't very good in the first half of 17-18. They were inconsistent right up to the trade deadline, when the acquisitions of JJ and especially Kempny (along with a reported change to the defensive gameplan) righted the ship.

Hindsight is great and all, but there were legit reasons to support a coaching change last year. It wasn't irrational Trotz hate, it was reasonable and objectively supportable.

As for the banner raising ceremony, let's see what happens when the Isles come to town. If the Caps do something nice for BT then this is a non-issue.

Reactions: third man in

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He'll get his applause when he comes back.

2 games into a season and already shut down one of the best offenses in the league. This isn't a run-and-gun team, it's early in the season and the numbers will fall back to earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad