Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Would anyone get behind a Chytil for Byram trade?

Followed by a Lindgren for Hayton + trade with the Coyotes as a 3C back-fill.

I could get behind it but my guess is Buffalo wouldn't want to do it.....or they would want another add from us of some significance. Depending it might still be good for us but I'm thinking Chytil on his own wouldn't get it done.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I could get behind it but my guess is Buffalo wouldn't want to do it.....or they would want another add from us of some significance. Depending it might still be good for us but I'm thinking Chytil on his own wouldn't get it done.

The real question is why is Buffalo trading Byram for a center when they just traded a center for Byram? Specifically, why are they trading for one with major injury risks? If they wanted a 2C they could have just kept Mittelstadt and signed him. They have plenty of space.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The real question is why is Buffalo trading Byram for a center when they just traded a center for Byram? Specifically, why are they trading for one with major injury risks? If they wanted a 2C they could have just kept Mittelstadt and signed him. They have plenty of space.

Middlestedt was, and is, about to get a higher contract. Probably around $6m or so. They may not have been in love with that contract for that player.

Also, Bryan is due a hefty increase after this year. Again, they may be more amenable to knowing they have Chytil locked in for 3 more years than trying to pay Byram.

They have a slew of LD’s

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Middlestedt was, and is, about to get a higher contract. Probably around $6m or so. They may not have been in love with that contract for that player.

Also, Bryan is due a hefty increase after this year. Again, they may be more amenable to knowing they have Chytil locked in for 3 more years than trying to pay Byram.

They have a slew of LD’s

I am pretty sure if they were not comfortable paying the raise for Byram that they would have not traded for him in the first place.

Reactions: UnSandvich

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I am pretty sure if they were not comfortable paying the raise for Byram that they would have not traded for him in the first place.
It's also possible Mittlestadt didn't want to sign long term there. They want to run Thompson and Cozens down the middle. Limited opportunity being on that squad.

I'm not saying they would make a move for Chytil, but they'd have a player for 3 years instead of someone that isn't happy there.

My guess is that they want to run one of those guys on the right side and will keep Byram.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
He is a pretender. Would be better off with Bertuzzi or Joshua. Or just playing Othmann and Berard.
They dont offer the position flexibility of domi. Thats crucial for this NYR team considering the ??? At 3C due to chytil’s head

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Laine is alot like PLD, pass on both guys.
PLD is a year younger, and played in about 30 more games than the perennially injured Laine, and has produced about 40 less points.

PLD and Laine will always be linked due to that trade, but comparing team cancer PLD to injured and unhappy in Columbus Laine is grossly negligent.

Laine has been a PPG player in Columbus. PLD has never been a ppg player.
PLD has always had "work ethic/attitude" issues, Laine has never had that label attached. He's absolutely not a guy to lead a team, or wear a letter, and thats fine.

PLD in 82 games this year, put up less goals than Kakko at even strength. He's a buyout candidate. Laine will actually get a trade return, and should return some value. They'll return significantly more if they eat some cap.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Where did you get all-rookie 4th line - Vesey’s got another year and he’s not going anywhere.

Re. Edstrom - he hasn’t earned 4C role, possible but FAR from certain, more on the unlikely side at this point (but not impossible obviously). A big factor is Chytil uncertainty. I think they need someone who can step into 3C role if needed and obviously it’s way too much to ask from Edstrom.
Yes they still have vesey signed 1 more season.
If they trade Goodrow, they likely sign another vet be in the rotation.
Ideally the 4th line should be

? Kid/UFA vet- Edstrom- Rempe/Vesey in rotation.
I doubt he would want another young kid or 1st year player on the left side in that scenario.
If Edstrom has a solid camp/preseaon he should absolutely take over as 4C.
Hes showed he’s ready in the stint he already had. He fits the MO/mandate the front office wants about being bigger/harder to play against.

Even if they keep Goodrow for another season, Edstrom should still be centering the 4th line. Stick goodie back on the wing where he has played his best hockey. Have him take the faceoffs if need be.
Goodrow-Edstrom-Rempe/Vesey

Should def be an upgrade on last season.
Ideally vesey/Rempe are your 13th Fwd depending on opponent or certain match ups they want to run.

I fully expect All of Edstrom/Jones/And 1 of Othmann/Berard ( probably Berard) to be full time NHL players next season….
Vesey can also cover higher in the line up in case injuries creep in for a short time…….

I expect nothing from Chytil anymore….
Your right about 3C, because if I’m Drury that is my chief concern going into next season…..
Shift him to wing… if/when he gets hurt again, it’s easier to find a wing Via trade……

Drury should be trying to obtain a long term 3C this offseason.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
PLD is a year younger, and played in about 30 more games than the perennially injured Laine, and has produced about 40 less points.

PLD and Laine will always be linked due to that trade, but comparing team cancer PLD to injured and unhappy in Columbus Laine is grossly negligent.

PLD has always had "work ethic/attitude" issues, Laine has never had that label attached. He's absolutely not a guy to lead a team, or wear a letter, and thats fine.

PLD in 82 games this year, put up less goals than Kakko at even strength. He's a buyout candidate. Laine will actually get a trade return, and should return some value. They'll return significantly more if they eat some cap.
PLD is the most expensive 4th liner in the history of the NHL

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
After how the last kaychuk trade went, people will want to pay big for this kaychuk. It won't be cheap and it won't be us since kaychuk has no trade until next season.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A Rangers - Buffalo trade I floated a while back…Trouba for Bynam.

Buffalo needs veteran leadership, a RHD (desperately) and Trouba has played for Ruff. Bynam doesn’t fit the Buffalo roster and is in the same place contract wise as KAndre.

Probably needs another piece or two to smooth things out and some salary retention but it fills needs for two teams. For Buffalo, it gives the young team the leadership it desperately craves. For the Rangers it could be Mika-Brassard II.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

When I watch both players, I get a "couldn't care less attitude" from each guy.

Just a vibe I get from Laine.

But I see what you are saying from a production perspective.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
A Rangers - Buffalo trade I floated a while back…Trouba for Bynam.

Buffalo needs veteran leadership, a RHD (desperately) and Trouba has played for Ruff. Bynam doesn’t fit the Buffalo roster and is in the same place contract wise as KAndre.

Probably needs another piece or two to smooth things out and some salary retention but it fills needs for two teams. For Buffalo, it gives the young team the leadership it desperately craves. For the Rangers it could be Mika-Brassard II.

If Byram doesn’t fit the Buffalo roster then why did they trade for him exactly?

Reactions: Ail

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
biz for coupla days, just dropping by to repudiate this total bs at Yardbarker:

The idiot(s) responsible for this need to be called out, and are so now by bern...

The win now idiocy of dealing futures for rentals WHO WE KNOW WE ARE NOT EXTENDING!!!!!!!!!! is beyond stupid, and the wizards who thought this up think it was a good idea.

Says not overpaying for Guetz = missed opportunity = mistake.
Wrong.

Not only was Drury correct to not overpay, but as we all see getting Wenn was a stupid waste, one understandably prompted by need for depth, but same time, had they listened to bern and developed youth instead, there would have been no need to make a depth acquisition

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
The NHL salary cap projections were $87.675M in 24-25 and $92,058,750 in 25-26. The NHL had a good year and the cap increased to $88M for 24-25. The 25-26 number should be higher. Utah is entering the league. Arizona was the money pit. Utah will actually sell tickets.

Any increase for 25-26 will help the Rangers. Igor's extension. Lafreniere's extension. If he has a bigger year next year and/with Laviolette giving him first unit PP minutes, the Rangers are looking $8.5M per. I have seen people on here and on X say the Rangers should offer him $5M-$6M. Why would Lafreniere take that?

$97M in 26-27 before the CBA expires. Bettman and Walsh seem to have a good relationship. They will get a new CBA done before it expires. Panarin's money will be off the books. Let him play out his contract.
I think the Rangers are going big game hunting in the summer of 26 when Mc Davids contract expires. Unless he resigns in Edmonton, but I doubt it, I think he will explore free agency.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think the Rangers are going big game hunting in the summer of 26 when Mc Davids contract expires. Unless he resigns in Edmonton, but I doubt it, I think he will explore free agency.
Top 3 centers in the league don't generally hit UFA in their prime.

I feel like Tavares was the closest we've gotten in the cap era.

Reactions: Uglybstrd

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
Top 3 centers in the league don't generally hit UFA in their prime.

I feel like Tavares was the closest we've gotten in the cap era.
I know, probably just a pipe dream on my behalf. I just have a feeling McDavid`s gonna hit UFA, Let`s see how it evolves. Exciting times! :)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Count me in on the Necas for K'Andre trade Brooksie snuck into his "dump Goodrow"(I also co-sign this) article over the weekend.

Vesey/Brodzinski/Edstrom replace everything Goodrow gives us for a lesser cap hit combined. Use that money and put it toward and upgrade in the top 6 or on D. I like Trenin if we want some veteran beef in the bottom 6. Joshua and Carrier are going to be expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Count me in on the Necas for K'Andre trade Brooksie snuck into his "dump Goodrow"(I also co-sign this) article over the weekend.

Vesey/Brodzinski/Edstrom replace everything Goodrow gives us for a lesser cap hit combined. Use that money and put it toward and upgrade in the top 6 or on D. I like Trenin if we want some veteran beef in the bottom 6. Joshua and Carrier are going to be expensive.

Are you replacing the entire left side of the defense?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00