Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
After buying two expensive DM options, don't you think they could have loaned him to Strasbourg if they thought he wouldn't play a part?
That would be much smarter in terms of "spinning" later.
They didn’t loan him because Lavia was crocked. Lavia came after, and arrived hurt. That’s why Chelsea were waffling on the Strasbourg loan or not. Had nothing to do with Ugochukwu

Look at the posts from last August. All the Chelsea fans on here wasn’t sure/thought he was going back to France too

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I obviously don't watch Chelsea at that level and maybe I still have David Moyes-induced hysteria, but whenever I watch West Ham, and to my knowledge most teams, when they want to protect the lead with height, size, and strength, they put on a center back. Maybe Chelsea do it differently, and that's fine. Just seems like a weird function to buy a midfielder for.
Chelsea don't have a good selection of centerbacks to close out games. They mostly put on midfielders in defensive roles in exchange for a more attacking midfielder or an attacking player when they wanted to try and lock things down.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They didn’t loan him because Lavia was crocked. Lavia came after, and arrived hurt. That’s why Chelsea were waffling on the Strasbourg loan or not. Had nothing to do with Ugochukwu

Look at the posts from last August. All the Chelsea fans on here wasn’t sure/thought he was going back to France too
When he was bought sure, people wondered.
But Poch made it clear very quickly and stated so.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When he was bought sure, people wondered.
But Poch made it clear very quickly and stated so.
I mean isn’t kind of crazy just the whole premise that he was bought THEN people wondered where he would end up? That’s not normal.

Yeah Poch liked him…Poch is gone. And there’s no reason Ugochukwe cannot win over Maresca, but I’ll believe Chelsea won’t be bringing in more guys to bury him on the depth chart and/or holding him hostage for either a sale or loan to Strasbourg (which could certainly still happen) when I see it. Fact is Ugochukwu already has at least four players ahead of him in the depth chart this point already

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean isn’t kind of crazy just the whole premise that he was bought THEN people wondered where he would end up? That’s not normal.

Yeah Poch liked him…Poch is gone. And there’s no reason Ugochukwe cannot win over Maresca, but I’ll believe Chelsea won’t be bringing in more guys to bury him on the depth chart and/or holding him hostage for either a sale or loan to Strasbourg (which could certainly still happen) when I see it. Fact is Ugochukwu already has at least four players ahead of him in the depth chart this point already
Again you're talking about next season when we were taking about last and thus last year's coach.
People wondered if he was ready. It's fair.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Spurs need him. Bet his wages are too high though.

He seems the exact opposite of Ange-ball, no thanks. They need a creator, a Modric. They don't need a defensive-negative player

"Opponents also found it relatively easy to get the better of Ugarte in the middle of the park. Indeed, he was dribbled past 2.1 times per 90, that ranking sixth in Ligue 1, returning a tackle success rate of 68.1% in the process. For a United side as open as they were in the Premier League, Ugarte would be tasked with essentially being a one-man wrecking ball in a key area of the pitch.

For a PSG outfit that did see so much of the ball yet for Ugarte to be dribbled past so frequently, the perceived wrecklessness could prove disastrous for Ten Hag's side. The Dutchman needs a player to prevent teams from chancing their luck so regularly, not one who might struggle with the demands of Premier League football.

While effective on the ball, there are concerns that Ugarte is too safe in possession. A 91.5% pass success rate may have ranked ninth in Ligue 1, yet given PSG's dominance, one would expect this return to be high. Furthermore, when he did seek to pick out a teammate, Ugarte was incredibly safe in doing so, noted in that only 14.6% of his passes went forward last season. "

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Welcome to Union, Lazlo Benes! I remember how hyped I was when Gladbach first signed him, but he seemed to finally start taking his career seriously in Hamburg. So hopefully he can take that next step for us and between Benes, Schäfer, & Laïdouni, we can get more forward impulse from our midfield next season.

…still need a striker (or two)…

Reactions: Eye of Ra

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Welcome to Union, Lazlo Benes! I remember how hyped I was when Gladbach first signed him, but he seemed to finally start taking his career seriously in Hamburg. So hopefully he can take that next step for us and between Benes, Schäfer, & Laïdouni, we can get more forward impulse from our midfield next season.

…still need a striker (or two)…
Good transfer, I'm a fan of his

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Famously, Liverpool have never bought a prospect with any sort of ambiguity as to if he would stay with the first team or go on loan in his first season. It's never happened!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't really buy this "profile" thing. Can you name a single other squad where 5 CMs get regular match time? That's what you have at Chelsea, before you even start accounting for some of the other u20 players.

I'm not totally sure what the closer role is really - the last five minutes up a goal?

To dig into it further, Ugochukwu got injured in December - in the 13 PL matches prior he played 275 minutes (~20 minutes on average). But even that is skewed by playing one 90' match - in the other 8 matches he either didn't play (4 times), played a single minute (3 times), or less than 12 minutes (3 times). And again, this is all with Lavia injured.
Manchester United

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Famously, Liverpool have never bought a prospect with any sort of ambiguity as to if he would stay with the first team or go on loan in his first season. It's never happened!
Not to a club under the same ownership multi-club model.

Any player in particular that you are referring to?

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
They need somebody who doesn't leave their defensive line out to dry. Bissouma and Bentancur are terrible, terrible, terrible defensive cover. No wonder they concede so much.

I don't agree. He was in the 95% percentile in tackles, 93rd in interceptions, 87th in ground duels won, all of that much higher than Declan Rice. (Yes, Rice is much better overall, but not in those important categories)

Where he DOES suffer is in his own box in front of goal. Those numbers are crap, but he wasn't bad at all defending the midfield, IMHO

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Iliman Ndiaye is on Merseyside for a medical before a potential move to Everton.
18.5 +1.5 million Euros

Is this fee acceptable to the "Big 6"?

• Haha
Reactions: JPBolts

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just because fans on a message board don't know the exact plans of a purchase doesn't mean the club simply purchased a player and had no idea what to do with them.

Like Guiu, I could see a loan, and I could see him doing what Washington did last season.

Reactions: Blender

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Iliman Ndiaye is on Merseyside for a medical before a potential move to Everton.
18.5 +1.5 million Euros

he must have just needed the 1 season to escape from Sheffield United, huh?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
18.5 +1.5 million Euros

Why wouldn’t it be?

No price fixing between clubs under the same multi club ownership.

No price fixing between multiple teams that are failing PSR

Let’s not make false equivalencies here.

Arsenal's for sale sign following the past week of nonsense PSR swaps:
  • Ramsdale 50M
  • Nketiah 50M
  • ESR 50M
  • Reiss 40M
  • Tavares 30M
  • Lokonga 30M
Here come the Colorado Rapids

Reactions: luiginb and KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad