Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ugo was clearly going to play and did well when he had the chance.
He's hardly a long shot prospect.
Yeah that’s why they spent 150m on players of the same position after he signed And we think they won’t sign more players to put in front of him this summer? Get real. You are right that he isn’t a long shot, but at Chelsea it’s just an asset for the balance sheet. No one is saying Ugo isn’t good. This is about how Chelsea do business

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah that’s why they spent 150m on players of the same position after he signed And we think they won’t sign more players to put in front of him this summer? Get real. You are right that he isn’t a long shot, but at Chelsea it’s just an asset for the balance sheet. No one is saying Ugo isn’t good. This is about how Chelsea do business
And that's not the point.
The point was that he wasn't loaned to Strasbourg for a reason. And he showed why when he played.
And Chelsea spent money just because. I don't think it had anything to do with position tbh. They just thought they had an opportunity to buy hyped young players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ugo isn't even a good point though, without injuries, he was on a path to a bunch of appearances because of his profile.

Reactions: Blender

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019

Also, per Ornstein's article earlier, Aston Villa have passed the requirement for PSR compliance, while Everton still have a hole to fill before the 30th.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ismael Koné says no to Roma and West Ham and signs with OM.
So as per request I will be able to tell some of you guys my opinion.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And that's not the point.
The point was that he wasn't loaned to Strasbourg for a reason. And he showed why when he played.
And Chelsea spent money just because. I don't think it had anything to do with position tbh. They just thought they had an opportunity to buy hyped young players.
Okay so let’s see if he gets pushed any further down the depth chart between now and the window closing then

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The only reason he got any time was because Lavia got hurt (the guy they spent £58M on two weeks after buying Ugochukwu).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How does that change his status in August 2023?
Because he’s a cheap asset that they got to spin later. The only reason that he got minutes is because Lavia was crocked. So I’m saying if Chelsea are so serious about playing him this season, I’m sure they won’t try to sign any more center midfielders

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Because he’s a cheap asset that they got to spin later. The only reason that he got minutes is because Lavia was crocked. So I’m saying if Chelsea are so serious about playing him this season, I’m sure they won’t try to sign any more center midfielders
After buying two expensive DM options, don't you think they could have loaned him to Strasbourg if they thought he wouldn't play a part?
That would be much smarter in terms of "spinning" later.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lavia and Ugochukwu are different profiles though. I can agree that Chelsea buy in excess because some of the buys are simply investments to flip, but Ugo was always going to get minutes in that Mikel late game closer type role.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Lavia and Ugochukwu are different profiles though. I can agree that Chelsea buy in excess because some of the buys are simply investments to flip, but Ugo was always going to get minutes in that Mikel late game closer type role.
I don't really buy this "profile" thing. Can you name a single other squad where 5 CMs get regular match time? That's what you have at Chelsea, before you even start accounting for some of the other u20 players.

I'm not totally sure what the closer role is really - the last five minutes up a goal?

To dig into it further, Ugochukwu got injured in December - in the 13 PL matches prior he played 275 minutes (~20 minutes on average). But even that is skewed by playing one 90' match - in the other 8 matches he either didn't play (4 times), played a single minute (3 times), or less than 12 minutes (3 times). And again, this is all with Lavia injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary69

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't really buy this "profile" thing. Can you name a single other squad where 5 CMs get regular match time? That's what you have at Chelsea, before you even start accounting for some of the other u20 players.

I'm not totally sure what the closer role is really - the last five minutes up a goal?
He was purchased for his height, size, and strength. Traits that none of our other CMs have, and what makes him unique enough where he'd get minutes regardless.

It's not like Caicedo, Lavia, and Ugochukwu are all the same style of player.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He was purchased for his height, size, and strength. Traits that none of our other CMs have, and what makes him unique enough where he'd get minutes regardless.

It's not like Caicedo, Lavia, and Ugochukwu are all the same style of player.
I obviously don't watch Chelsea at that level and maybe I still have David Moyes-induced hysteria, but whenever I watch West Ham, and to my knowledge most teams, when they want to protect the lead with height, size, and strength, they put on a center back. Maybe Chelsea do it differently, and that's fine. Just seems like a weird function to buy a midfielder for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad