Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Some of these rules and regulations are going to kill the transfer market in terms of prices paid for players. They won't get that much for any of those players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My BS prices. If Chelsea fans can warp their minds to think 20M for a random academy player makes sense, then Ramsdale for 50M is a bargain.
Thanks! Not surprised by Chelsea fan BS, but they are Chelsea fans for a reason. No one sane enough would ever be a fan of theirs.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019

Very reliable. Lo Celso + £20M offered.
yep, saw that earlier. Don't think that's remotely enough to get Villa to sell now (as PSR issues are cleared). Would also hurt with the homegrown & club trained numbers for Champions League.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The whole Chelsea/Villa thing only makes sense if Maatsen's fee was also wildly overpriced, but no one complained about that one. If Maatsen was fair, we decided to give Villa more money for reasons?

Reactions: Blender

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
The whole Chelsea/Villa thing only makes sense if Maatsen's fee was also wildly overpriced, but no one complained about that one. If Maatsen was fair, we decided to give Villa more money for reasons?
The other interested party, Dortmund, didn't want to pay 35M and then Villa paid more than that. That's less of a smoking gun, but then when you look at the Kellyman fee, it's clear as day that it was a PSR scheme.

All of the teams in PSR trouble just happened to sell players to each other a week before 6/30? How much more obvious does it need to get lol

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think it’s fair to say that Kellyman’s fee was probably inflated a bit to entice Villa to buy Maatsen before 6/30, but some of the comments about him only being worth $1m are dumb.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The other interested party, Dortmund, didn't want to pay 35M and then Villa paid more than that. That's less of a smoking gun, but then when you look at the Kellyman fee, it's clear as day that it was a PSR scheme.
What's the scheme. Getting fair deals done before a deadline? I could agree it would be a scheme like you guys are arguing if both players were sold at values way above valuation. Since Maatsen was sold close to or at what would be considered his value, it's more likely that Kellyman's value was much higher than what people here thought. Otherwise, why would Chelsea give Villa free money?

I think it’s fair to say that Kellyman’s fee was probably inflated a bit to entice Villa to buy Maatsen before 6/30, but some of the comments about him only being worth $1m are dumb.
Maybe, Villa would also need the deals done before 6/30, so both would've been motivated to get them done quickly. And people here have cited Transfermarkt and sofascore, and Maatsen is 37-40M on each. Maybe Kellyman's value is inflated a bit, but it's not like Chelsea would sell Maatsen at fair value to then greatly overpay for Kellyman. It's much more likely that Kellyman just had more value than what others think.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What's the scheme. Getting fair deals done before a deadline? I could agree it would be a scheme like you guys are arguing if both players were sold at values way above valuation. Since Maatsen was sold close to or at what would be considered his value, it's more likely that Kellyman's value was much higher than what people here thought. Otherwise, why would Chelsea give Villa free money?

Maybe, Villa would also need the deals done before 6/30, so both would've been motivated to get them done quickly. And people here have cited Transfermarkt and sofascore, and Maatsen is 37-40M on each. Maybe Kellyman's value is inflated a bit, but it's not like Chelsea would sell Maatsen at fair value to then greatly overpay for Kellyman. It's much more likely that Kellyman just had more value than what others think.
Yea I don’t think they paid 20 for a guy worth 2. But I could see them paying 20 for a guy worth 15 in order to get a separate deal completed before 6/30.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yea I don’t think they paid 20 for a guy worth 2. But I could see them paying 20 for a guy worth 15 in order to get a separate deal completed before 6/30.
How much do you think he is worth then? What makes him worth 15? Who is putting his value close to 15?

And yeah the “before 6/30” matters a great deal here

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Or maybe Maatsen has less value than you and those sites think? Again, do you think it's just a huge coincidence that all of the teams in PSR trouble happened to sell players to each other a week before 6/30?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Or maybe Maatsen has less value than you and those sites think? Again, do you think it's just a huge coincidence that all of the teams in PSR trouble happened to sell players to each other a week before 6/30?
Just because they all made sales to likely ensure compliance, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with those transfers.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Just because they all made sales to likely ensure compliance, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with those transfers.
Funny how all of those sales were to each other and none of them involved other teams (except Douglas Luiz, but I'm not sure that's finalized). It doesn't take a forensic team to understand what happened, but you can choose to be ignorant.

Maybe we'd give Chelsea the benefit of the doubt if they didn't have this track record:
  • Spent ~$1B over the last 2 years
  • Got bailed out by Saudi Arabia with inflated transfer fees
  • Circumvented PSR rules using an amortization accounting loophole which has since been amended
  • Circumvented PSR rules by selling a hotel to a related party

Reactions: luiginb

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
My BS prices. If Chelsea fans can warp their minds to think 20M for a random academy player makes sense, then Ramsdale for 50M is a bargain.
That doesn't even follow. Kellyman is an 18 year old with a lot of potential, even though they clearly overpaid. Inflating fees for has-beens or never-beens isn't the same.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Funny how all of those sales were to each other and none of them involved other teams (except Douglas Luiz, but I'm not sure that's finalized). It doesn't take a forensic team to understand what happened, but you can choose to be ignorant.

Maybe we'd give Chelsea the benefit of the doubt if they didn't have this track record:
  • Circumvented PSR rules using an amortization accounting loophole which has since been amended
Chelsea should be a case study and it will be very interesting to see how they do over the next few years. Based on their owners background, I assume they view all the young players they purchase as long term 'investment' and they use all possible loopholes to get as many investment in as possible like portefolio investors do to diversify their assets/shares to diminish the risk. I think eventually after purchasing 50+ players they will start selling some of these players that have not panned out to bring in new long term 'investment'. It's like the opposite of money ball. Purchase as many young players as we can so we are bound to find some gems in that bunch that would make these huge investment worth it, already players like Palmer, Paez and possibly Messinho are huge coup from them. I do find it smart but I m find it weird that so many young players (not the big names) are fine signing for them knowing they are afterthought and on 7/8 years deal so not much flexibility for them in their development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

It's not funny, but you are associating neferious intentions to something that was expected and makes sense. Clubs and in all sports are motivated by deadlines. And especially right now, many deals are sort of on hold because of Euros and other competitions, Gallagher as an example.

And there's nothing neferious about it, it's not even a loophole, it's just poorly structured rules. Similar to how there is nothing wrong with amortization with long-term deals or doing anything else that is legal and allowed to happen.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Chelsea should be a case study and it will be very interesting to see how they do over the next few years. Based on their owners background, I assume they view all the young players they purchase as long term 'investment' and they use all possible loopholes to get as many investment in as possible like portefolio investors do to diversify their assets/shares to diminish the risk. I think eventually after purchasing 50+ players they will start selling some of these players that have not panned out to bring in new long term 'investment'. It's like the opposite of money ball. Purchase as many young players as we can so we are bound to find some gems in that bunch that would make these huge investment worth it, already players like Palmer, Paez and possibly Messinho are huge coup from them. I do find it smart but I m find it weird that so many young players (not the big names) are fine signing for them knowing they are afterthought and on 7/8 years deal so not much flexibility for them in their development.
That's exactly what they're doing. It works in FM but I'm surprised so many young players are willing to go there.
Looks like they hit jackpot with messinho though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad