Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Get that your post was tongue in cheek, but Flynn Downes played there on loan last season and isn’t by any measure a largely unknown academy player. Not really the same.
I'm not trying to compare it to the Kellyman/Maatsen deal, more just pointing out that there's been a lot more "swap" deals going on this summer. Though, I am surprised that Southampton is letting KWP go

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Yep, and I think that's exactly why transfer values are always subjective. how much someone is worth to a team is going to be different to how they are worth to others. I did look at Arsenal sale history and was a bit stunned, that is a terrible record. I guess that having a record of selling players for a decent amount might also weigh in on how much you are willing to sell.
Agreed that transfer fees are always going to be subjective, and you have insane money being thrown around by tons of clubs. Hell, maybe the Kellyman fee ends up being a steal for Chelsea in the future. If you told me that United bought Kellyman for 20M, I'd probably think they overpaid but that'd be normal. If Chelsea overpaid for some teenager from France, then so be it.

But I don't understand why certain people here are pretending this was an expected outcome and not mainly a PSR scheme. It's less about the fee, and more about all of the teams in PSR trouble swapping players with each other a week before 6/30 rather than selling to other clubs. The only way they could have made it more obvious is if they put out a press release with some table/calculation showing exactly how they intentionally structured the deal to comply with PSR.

Reactions: JPBolts and Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yep -- and I'd say the interesting case study comparison will be Archie Gray (if he gets sold this summer).
Two more teams that failed PSR. And Would be another Chelsea burial
and 2 more teams involved in a swap deal!
going to keep seeing these when the teams that would need to vote against them for supermajority are the ones failing the rules

Reactions: JPBolts

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Agreed that transfer fees are always going to be subjective, and you have insane money being thrown around by tons of clubs. Hell, maybe the Kellyman fee ends up being a steal for Chelsea in the future. If you told me that United bought Kellyman for 20M, I'd probably think they overpaid but that'd be normal. If Chelsea overpaid for some teenager from France, then so be it.

But I don't understand why certain people here are pretending this was an expected outcome and not mainly a PSR scheme. It's less about the fee, and more about all of the teams in PSR trouble swapping players with each other a week before 6/30 rather than selling to other clubs. The only way they could have made it more obvious is if they put out a press release with some table/calculation showing exactly how they intentionally structured the deal to comply with PSR.
You should have expected that clubs with PSR implications would make sales that would make them PSR compliant. What was your expectation? They just sit their twiddling their thumbs?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Emil Holm, who was on loan at Atalanta this season, was bought by Bologna for 7 mil from Serie B Spezia. Not a big fan, especially for a player who's supposed to play UCL next year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You should have expected that clubs with PSR implications would make sales that would make them PSR compliant. What was your expectation? They just sit their twiddling their thumbs?
This is hilarious.

You got butt hurt when I said this was price fixing, and now you have arrived at “why wouldn’t we price fix this”

Not going to bother even mentioning the nonsense that was been spouted in between these things happening, but at least you got to the right place

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Maybe they could have just sold players to make them PSR compliant rather than crafting swap transfers for inflated fees with the other PSR impacted teams. But keep tossing around the straw man that I'm suggesting they should have just twiddled their thumbs and accepted the fines/point deductions...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is hilarious.

You got butt hurt when I said this was price fixing, and now you have arrived at “why wouldn’t we price fix this”

At least you got there
It's not price fixing, I never got butt hurt about that.

What's the implication from you guys, I genuinely don't get it. Are you surprised that clubs with PSR issues are getting deals done before the deadline and clubs that don't have that deadline aren't doing deals? Especially with international competitions going on, of course other clubs aren't motivated to get deals done.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's not price fixing, I never got butt hurt about that.

What's the implication from you guys, I genuinely don't get it. Are you surprised that clubs with PSR issues are getting deals done before the deadline and clubs that don't have that deadline aren't doing deals? Especially with international competitions going on, of course other clubs aren't motivated to get deals done.
It’s 100% price fixing. When you pick a price out of thin air just because that’s the number needed to resolve the PSR numbers, that’s price fixing

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe they could have just sold players to make them PSR compliant rather than crafting swap transfers for inflated fees with the other PSR impacted teams. But keep tossing around the straw man that I'm suggesting they should have just twiddled their thumbs and accepted the fines/point deductions...
Other clubs without PSR implications aren't motivated to buy right now, they would be holding all the leverage in a negotiations, that's why you are seeing PSR clubs as the motivated ones.

It’s 100% price fixing. When you pick a price out of thin air just because that’s the number needed to resolve the PSR numbers, that’s price fixing
That's not what's happening, and you wouldn't even have the evidence to prove it.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Literally all transfer fees are "picked out of thin air". It's an open market, players go for what clubs are willing to pay for them and other clubs are willing to sell them for.

You seriously underestimate that fees and transfers have been structured for financial reasons since the f***ing stone age.

• Haha

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Other clubs without PSR implications aren't motivated to buy right now, they would be holding all the leverage in a negotiations, that's why you are seeing PSR clubs as the motivated ones.

That's not what's happening, and you wouldn't even have the evidence to prove it.
no evidence? Either you believe in the tooth fairy too, or you have a poster of your lawyer on the wall like the banners at the Ettihad.

Ray Charles could see 20m for Kellyman being price fixing. Also you are the one talking about the urgency to get these deals done before the 30th. You are showing your own ass here.

Literally all transfer fees are "picked out of thin air". It's an open market, players go for what clubs are willing to pay for them and other clubs are willing to sell them for.

You seriously underestimate that fees and transfers have been structured for financial reasons since the f***ing stone age.
Stop. And yall say that I’m dropping hyperbole.

20m for academy players is unprecedented by anyone besides Chelsea.

Just stop

Reactions: KJS14

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Anyway, I think this topic pending additional like-for-like deals has kind of run its course. It’s a shifty move among a string of them for Chelsea and includes other PSR dependent clubs now.

No one is going to shift their take on this, I think we can all move on. Until the next one lol

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

So you're telling me that putting yourself into an unfavorable financial position based on your own past decisions can negatively affect your leverage in this situation? Golly, now I really do feel bad for Chelsea/Villa/Everton. They shouldn't have to face the consequences of their own actions.

You guys are acting like there hasn't been a single other transfer during the window...

Couldn't be more wrong lol. The buyer and seller aren't both doing transfers for financial reasons regularly. They're doing them for sporting reasons, where the seller does want to get the best price they can, and the buyer wants to acquire the player for sporting reasons at a reasonable price.

Really should have seen selling hotels to themselves coming, tbh.
Why wouldn't a team with PSR implications sell fixed assets to another one of their holding companies to turn a profit? You'd have to be a total idiot to not see that one coming.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Stop. And yall say that I’m dropping hyperbole.

20m for academy players is unprecedented by anyone besides Chelsea.

Just stop
Here's the top 50 transfers for under-18s of all time. Most of these players came from lesser leagues, which quality PL academy players are capable of playing in:

#PlayerNat.JoinedFee
1​
EndrickBrazilReal Madrid€47.50m
2​
RodrygoBrazilReal Madrid€45.00m
Spain
3​
Vinicius JuniorBrazilReal Madrid€45.00m
Spain
4​
Vitor RoqueBrazilFC Barcelona€40.00m
5​
Fábio SilvaPortugalWolverhampton Wanderers€40.00m
6​
Luke ShawEnglandManchester United€37.50m
7​
Wayne RooneyEnglandManchester United€37.00m
8​
Renato SanchesPortugalBayern Munich€35.00m
Sao Tome and Principe
9​
EstêvãoBrazilChelsea FC€34.00m
10​
Alessandro BastoniItalyInter Milan€31.10m
11​
Eduardo CamavingaFranceReal Madrid€31.00m
Congo
12​
Antonio CassanoItalyAS Roma€31.00m
13​
Jude BellinghamEnglandBorussia Dortmund€30.15m
Ireland
14​
ReinierBrazilReal Madrid€30.00m
15​
William SalibaFranceArsenal FC€30.00m
Cameroon
16​
Tino LivramentoEnglandSouthampton FC€26.20m
Scotland
17​
Jérémy DokuBelgiumStade Rennais FC€26.00m
Ghana
18​
Alexandre PatoBrazilAC Milan€24.00m
19​
Luis GuilhermeBrazilWest Ham United€23.00m
20​
PedriSpainFC Barcelona€23.00m
21​
Sergio AgüeroArgentinaAtlético de Madrid€23.00m
Spain
22​
Roméo LaviaBelgiumSouthampton FC€22.26m
23​
Amad DialloCote d'IvoireManchester United€21.30m
Italy
24​
Pietro PellegriItalyAS Monaco€20.90m
25​
Jadon SanchoEnglandBorussia Dortmund€20.59m
Jamaica
26​
Stephan El ShaarawyItalyAC Milan€20.30m
Egypt
27​
Gabriel MoscardoBrazilParis Saint-Germain€20.00m
28​
Arda GülerTürkiyeReal Madrid€20.00m
29​
Mathys TelFranceBayern Munich€20.00m
Guadeloupe
30​
Willem GeubbelsFranceAS Monaco€20.00m
Netherlands
31​
Malick FofanaBelgiumOlympique Lyon€19.50m
Guinea
32​
Cristiano RonaldoPortugalManchester United€19.00m
33​
PaulinhoBrazilBayer 04 Leverkusen€18.50m
34​
Dayot UpamecanoFranceRB Leipzig€18.50m
Guinea-Bissau
35​
Claudio EcheverriArgentinaManchester City€18.50m
36​
Arthur VermeerenBelgiumAtlético de Madrid€18.00m
37​
Carney ChukwuemekaEnglandChelsea FC€18.00m
Nigeria
38​
Pape Matar SarrSenegalTottenham Hotspur€16.90m
39​
Ricardo PepiUnited StatesFC Augsburg€16.36m
Mexico
40​
Deivid WashingtonBrazilChelsea FC€16.00m
41​
Ilaix MoribaGuineaRB Leipzig€16.00m
Spain
42​
ÂngeloBrazilChelsea FC€15.00m
43​
El Chadaille BitshiabuFranceRB Leipzig€15.00m
DR Congo
44​
Romelu LukakuBelgiumChelsea FC€15.00m
DR Congo
45​
Gareth BaleWalesTottenham Hotspur€14.70m
46​
Davide FrattesiItalyUS Sassuolo€14.60m
47​
Sébastien FreyFranceInter Milan€14.00m
48​
Alphonso DaviesCanadaBayern Munich€14.00m
Liberia
49​
Diego LainezMexicoReal Betis Balompié€14.00m
Spain
50​
Valeri BozhinovBulgariaACF Fiorentina€14.00m
Italy

Couldn't be more wrong lol. The buyer and seller aren't both doing transfers for financial reasons regularly. They're doing them for sporting reasons, where the seller does want to get the best price they can, and the buyer wants to acquire the player for sporting reasons at a reasonable price.
Please read the comment you quoted again. I said the deal was structured for financial reasons.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Here's the top 50 transfers for under-18s of all time. Most of these players came from lesser leagues, which quality PL academy players are capable of playing in:

#PlayerNat.JoinedFee
1​
EndrickBrazilReal Madrid€47.50m
2​
RodrygoBrazilReal Madrid€45.00m
Spain
3​
Vinicius JuniorBrazilReal Madrid€45.00m
Spain
4​
Vitor RoqueBrazilFC Barcelona€40.00m
5​
Fábio SilvaPortugalWolverhampton Wanderers€40.00m
6​
Luke ShawEnglandManchester United€37.50m
7​
Wayne RooneyEnglandManchester United€37.00m
8​
Renato SanchesPortugalBayern Munich€35.00m
Sao Tome and Principe
9​
EstêvãoBrazilChelsea FC€34.00m
10​
Alessandro BastoniItalyInter Milan€31.10m
11​
Eduardo CamavingaFranceReal Madrid€31.00m
Congo
12​
Antonio CassanoItalyAS Roma€31.00m
13​
Jude BellinghamEnglandBorussia Dortmund€30.15m
Ireland
14​
ReinierBrazilReal Madrid€30.00m
15​
William SalibaFranceArsenal FC€30.00m
Cameroon
16​
Tino LivramentoEnglandSouthampton FC€26.20m
Scotland
17​
Jérémy DokuBelgiumStade Rennais FC€26.00m
Ghana
18​
Alexandre PatoBrazilAC Milan€24.00m
19​
Luis GuilhermeBrazilWest Ham United€23.00m
20​
PedriSpainFC Barcelona€23.00m
21​
Sergio AgüeroArgentinaAtlético de Madrid€23.00m
Spain
22​
Roméo LaviaBelgiumSouthampton FC€22.26m
23​
Amad DialloCote d'IvoireManchester United€21.30m
Italy
24​
Pietro PellegriItalyAS Monaco€20.90m
25​
Jadon SanchoEnglandBorussia Dortmund€20.59m
Jamaica
26​
Stephan El ShaarawyItalyAC Milan€20.30m
Egypt
27​
Gabriel MoscardoBrazilParis Saint-Germain€20.00m
28​
Arda GülerTürkiyeReal Madrid€20.00m
29​
Mathys TelFranceBayern Munich€20.00m
Guadeloupe
30​
Willem GeubbelsFranceAS Monaco€20.00m
Netherlands
31​
Malick FofanaBelgiumOlympique Lyon€19.50m
Guinea
32​
Cristiano RonaldoPortugalManchester United€19.00m
33​
PaulinhoBrazilBayer 04 Leverkusen€18.50m
34​
Dayot UpamecanoFranceRB Leipzig€18.50m
Guinea-Bissau
35​
Claudio EcheverriArgentinaManchester City€18.50m
36​
Arthur VermeerenBelgiumAtlético de Madrid€18.00m
37​
Carney ChukwuemekaEnglandChelsea FC€18.00m
Nigeria
38​
Pape Matar SarrSenegalTottenham Hotspur€16.90m
39​
Ricardo PepiUnited StatesFC Augsburg€16.36m
Mexico
40​
Deivid WashingtonBrazilChelsea FC€16.00m
41​
Ilaix MoribaGuineaRB Leipzig€16.00m
Spain
42​
ÂngeloBrazilChelsea FC€15.00m
43​
El Chadaille BitshiabuFranceRB Leipzig€15.00m
DR Congo
44​
Romelu LukakuBelgiumChelsea FC€15.00m
DR Congo
45​
Gareth BaleWalesTottenham Hotspur€14.70m
46​
Davide FrattesiItalyUS Sassuolo€14.60m
47​
Sébastien FreyFranceInter Milan€14.00m
48​
Alphonso DaviesCanadaBayern Munich€14.00m
Liberia
49​
Diego LainezMexicoReal Betis Balompié€14.00m
Spain
50​
Valeri BozhinovBulgariaACF Fiorentina€14.00m
Italy

This really isn't making the point you think it's making. The list is a bunch of superstars in the making who were drawing interest from a bunch of big European clubs before their sale and/or were getting international attention from the media.

Reactions: KJS14

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This really isn't making the point you think it's making. The list is a bunch of superstars in the making who were drawing interest from a bunch of big European clubs before their sale and/or were getting international attention from the media.
At the top of the list with fees much higher than Kellyman, sure, but not so much at the bottom of the list.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Most of the examples in your list are u18 players that were playing for their first teams. There's a select few that were still playing youth football, and they were mostly considered to be some of the top prospects in the entire world, not just Villa's academy.

Please read the comment you quoted again. I said the deal was structured for financial reasons.
Yeah, teams will structure deals for financial reasons like cash flow (i.e. rather pay in installments). And teams have chosen to do swap deals as separate transfers for accounting reasons. But there's not some long-dated history of teams inflating transfer fees in those swap deals to comply with PSR rules for a deadline coming up in 1 week. In fact, that's against PSR rules.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
“Lesser” and “capable” are subjective.

How about you filter your list to those who were playing in senior men’s leagues, and then let’s see what it looks likes

You’ve got Wayne Rooney on there who dropped 15 PL goals in 67 appearances at Everton before going to United. Jude and Bale played in the Championship. If you don’t see the difference, you are choosing not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
there were so many ways to have gone about making the argument that the dewsbury hall signing is redundant and confusing without saying

“they play in the same third of the field”

like that’s just incoherent

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
there were so many ways to have gone about making the argument that the dewsbury hall signing is redundant and confusing without saying

“they play in the same third of the field”

like that’s just incoherent
Is the midfield not a third of the field? He’s not a forward/winger/attacking player or a defender/goalie/defendimg last I checked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad